steves999

Re: SqueezePlug Version 5 ready for download

Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:43 am

One thing that I'm realizing that I'll miss coming from Vortexbox (other than the CD auto-ripping, which I rarely used!) is the incremental media backup to a second external USB HDD. I guess I can learn a bit about Linux and do something from the putty command line, but if it was possible to add something that runs from the setup menu I for one would be a very happy bunny! (and of course will be more than happy to donate further to the cause ;) )

truehl

Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:27 am

steves999 wrote:One thing that I'm realizing that I'll miss coming from Vortexbox (other than the CD auto-ripping, which I rarely used!) is the incremental media backup to a second external USB HDD. I guess I can learn a bit about Linux and do something from the putty command line, but if it was possible to add something that runs from the setup menu I for one would be a very happy bunny! (and of course will be more than happy to donate further to the cause ;) )
That's a very good idea! I've already tested something like this with rsync and it works great! I'll implement something like this in one of the next versions! Right now I'm very buisy with the new Hard-Float and Soft-Float versions based on the official images!
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de

garrettwp

Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:23 am

I have squeezelite running the raspberry pi with the squeezeplug 5.0 image. An issue I am running into is that I am getting distortion via the hdmi output into my yamaha receiver. Is anyone else experiencing this issue? The distortion I am referring to is for example vocals will sometimes sound scratchy and static. The same goes for other frequencies (e.g. lower frequencies). I do not have the output debug on hand, but I remember the output saying something like: opened device default using format: S32_LE sample rate: 44100. Could it be that the gain is way to high? If I hook up my usb dac to the pi, it sounds perfect and have no issues what so ever. At first I thought my one speaker was having issues with a faulty woofer. But hooking up the usb dac corrected this issue and everything is great. If I can bypass the usb dac and us the hdmi connection into my receiver that would be preferable. But if I have to use the dac, than I will be purchasing a new one for this setup.

- Garrett

castalla

Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:33 pm

Here's my setup running Squeezeplug and Squeezelite:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthrea ... post727967

CaptInsano

Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:36 pm

New squeezelite version 0.5beta1 is out:

It is working great,

See Triode's release notes here:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthrea ... post727674

Below is my method for updating (expanded in parts to illustrate full method).

Use at own risk!!

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~# cd /home/squeezeplug/
[email protected]:~# wget http://squeezelite.googlecode.com/files/squeezelite-armv6hf
[email protected]:~# /etc/init.d/squeezelite stop
[email protected]:~# cp /usr/bin/squeezelite /home/squeezeplug/squeezelite-backup
[email protected]:~# cp /home/squeezeplug/squeezelite-armv6hf /usr/bin/squeezelite
[email protected]:~# chmod +x /usr/bin/squeezelite
[email protected]:~# /etc/init.d/squeezelite start
Optional: do a further check:

[email protected]:~# ls -la /usr/bin/squeezelite
output of ls -la should be similar to "-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 74356 DATE TIME /usr/bin/squeezelite"

Hope this helps somebody

The Capt.

tezza73uk

Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:46 pm

Just like Hawkb I cannot access the LMS via 192.168.xxx.xx:9000

What could I be doing wrong? Using image 5.0 as recommended, I have left my rasp overnight, still no good :(

All goes well but unable to login to Logitech Media Serve.
Please help.
Regards
Terry.

steves999

Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:53 am

tezza73uk wrote:Just like Hawkb I cannot access the LMS via 192.168.xxx.xx:9000

What could I be doing wrong? Using image 5.0 as recommended, I have left my rasp overnight, still no good :(

Please help.
Regards
Terry.
I'm in the testing phase of setting up squeezeplug on RPi and am having the same problem intermittently. I do find that doing a command line reboot from putty tends to make it visible again., but not every time. I find that running "top" always shows the squeezeserver running and putty can see the unit (as can a ping), but 192.168.xxx.xx:9000 yields nothing. Eventually, with reboots it comes good.
Not much help I',m afraid!

truehl

Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:57 am

tezza73uk wrote:Just like Hawkb I cannot access the LMS via 192.168.xxx.xx:9000

Please help.
Regards
Terry.
@all guys with that problem, are you using version 5.05 (the latest update) before you've installed LMS?
truehl

steves999

Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:31 am

@all guys with that problem, are you using version 5.05 (the latest update) before you've installed LMS?
I am - started with 5.0, installed LMS, upgraded to 5.05, reinstalled LMS.

.helge

Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:24 pm

started with 5.0 -> installed LMS -> updated to 5.05 => still running since then (one reboot because LMS stopped for an unknown reason)

tezza73uk

Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:43 am

truehl wrote: @all guys with that problem, are you using version 5.05 (the latest update) before you've installed LMS?
I've just updated to 5.05... It doesn't work yet and will try first thing in the morning.

truehl

Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:34 am

@ all guys LMS is not working:

I like to investigate the exact reason for that. So it would be the best if I could take a closer look at your specific installations. I tried to figure it out here, but all my installations on all devices run perfect.

So we have some possibilities to figure things out:
1. Skype meeting
2. Teamviewer meeting
3. SSH tunnel to your installations

So if you have trouble with LMS please send me a PM and we can make a date!

It's important for the project to find out the reason for the non running LMS servers, so lets try to get SqueezePlug improved together.

Thanks a lot
Thomas
truehl

etiennegignac

Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:37 pm

Hi there. I just got my Pi in the mail and I was wondering if someone would mind helping...

I'm trying to install squeezeplug. After I finish the installation on the Pi, I get the prompt to reboot. When I answer yes it goes through the shutdown sequence without a hitch but never reboots. I tried unplugging and replugging power but still no success. The Pi doesn't produce a video output, doesn't ask for an IP, and so on. The power led is on and nothing else. From there all I can do is redo the SD card from the img file and gothrough the installer again.

I tried answering no to the reboot prompt and shutting down manually from the command line with the same result.

Has anyone else seen had that problem before?? I also tried raspbmc with the same result: nothing after reboot.

Thanks for your time.

truehl

Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:26 pm

etiennegignac wrote:Hi there. I just got my Pi in the mail and I was wondering if someone would mind helping...

I'm trying to install squeezeplug. After I finish the installation on the Pi, I get the prompt to reboot. When I answer yes it goes through the shutdown sequence without a hitch but never reboots. I tried unplugging and replugging power but still no success. The Pi doesn't produce a video output, doesn't ask for an IP, and so on. The power led is on and nothing else. From there all I can do is redo the SD card from the img file and gothrough the installer again.

I tried answering no to the reboot prompt and shutting down manually from the command line with the same result.

Has anyone else seen had that problem before?? I also tried raspbmc with the same result: nothing after reboot.

Thanks for your time.
It seems to be an SD-Card error, because you have this with two different images. I saw some very strange SD-Card behavior the last weeks, I've not seen before. I had some cards, fails to boot from one day to the other! Re-imaging did not help and sometimes even low level formatting with the SD-Formatter tool did not help. After some attempts with different OS (Linux, Windows, even Cameras). I got all cards working again and problems are gone. Sounds like voodoo, but that's what I got!

So please try the SD-Formatter tool, burn the official Raspbian images, check and if this runs try the SqueezePlug image again. Also check an other SD-Card!

The next days I hope I'll get my new images ready, maybe problems will be gone then, but I don't think it has something to do with SqueezePlug!
truehl

truehl

Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:32 pm

.helge wrote:
started with 5.0 -> installed LMS -> updated to 5.05 => still running since then (one reboot because LMS stopped for an unknown reason)
Please go this way:

After the initial boot
1. Expand file system
2. Update SqueezePlug
3. Install LMS
truehl

etiennegignac

Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:46 am

truehl wrote:
etiennegignac wrote:Hi there. I just got my Pi in the mail and I was wondering if someone would mind helping...

Thanks for your time.
It seems to be an SD-Card error, because you have this with two different images. I saw some very strange SD-Card behavior the last weeks, I've not seen before. I had some cards, fails to boot from one day to the other! Re-imaging did not help and sometimes even low level formatting with the SD-Formatter tool did not help. After some attempts with different OS (Linux, Windows, even Cameras). I got all cards working again and problems are gone. Sounds like voodoo, but that's what I got!

So please try the SD-Formatter tool, burn the official Raspbian images, check and if this runs try the SqueezePlug image again. Also check an other SD-Card!

The next days I hope I'll get my new images ready, maybe problems will be gone then, but I don't think it has something to do with SqueezePlug!
Thanks. I got another SD card listed in the working ones so hopefully that will solve my problem. I will let you know how it goes.

Trixster

Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:48 am

Anyone noticed any difference/improvement in running squeezeplug on a 512mb pi as opposed to an original 256mb one?

truehl

Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:56 am

Trixster wrote:Anyone noticed any difference/improvement in running squeezeplug on a 512mb pi as opposed to an original 256mb one?
Not in normal running, but while running LMS during scanning the database. For me it was 1 hour difference in scanning the library. Took 2:30 with 256 MB and 1:30 with 512 MB. LMS takes as much RAM as it can during scanning. I can't see other differences in normal use! My library has 20.984 titles.
truehl

rickwookie

Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:33 pm

pbattino wrote:
truehl wrote:
pbattino wrote:Also: boot takes forever because DHCP on the ethernet alone wastes almost 1 minute....
o.k. understood, if you know how to implement this, please tell us here and I'll try to implement it!
I think the easiest way is to change the /etc/network/interfaces file from

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
to

allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
I tried and it works well: the boot phase is quicker, no waiting for DHCP, and the DHCP request is sent only if the ethernet cable is attached (or if the wifi is plugged in, if you do the same for the wifi).

(I think if you remove the cable afterwards there's no automatic switch on / off of the interface. It isn't really critical for me, but for those who want real hot-plug capability they can just remove all the interfaces from /etc/network/interfaces and install instead the daemon wicd-curses instead)
Thanks for your helpful post, I'd been trying to solve that boot timewaste for a while. I saw somewhere online to use:
auto eth0
allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

but that haddn't worked. I didn't think to remove the auto eth0 line to just leave:

allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

but that does work perfectly for me.

Thanks again.

truehl

Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:47 am

If you like, you can watch my first tip for X-MAS here:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 01#p230501

Have fun!
truehl

allactionrob

Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:32 pm

Hey all, apologies if this question has already been answered - after lots of searching on here I did not find one...

I've just tried the V5 image (several times actually) but I can't get LMS (7.7.2) to run properly. I followed the install exactly as per http://www.squeezeplug.de/ and the squeezeboxserver process starts, but immediately dies and re-starts itself. The /var/log/squeezeboxserver/server.log simply says "Logitech Media Server died. Restarting." with timestamps about 6 seconds apart. And of course the web server can't be reached. SSH and ping are both fine. Top shows lots of CPU directed at the squeezeboxserver process, and new PIDs being created frequently.

One post I found that sounded like this problem suggested that the fix was to expand rootfs, which I did, but it made no difference.

Any ideas of what to try next? For now, I'll go back to my old V4 image I think and put up with occasional drop outs and stopping... :(

Thanks,
Rob.

[edit] Just saw the post about updating Squeezeplug and then installing LMS - I'm trying that now and will report back...[/edit]

allactionrob

Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:11 pm

allactionrob wrote:Hey all, apologies if this question has already been answered - after lots of searching on here I did not find one...

I've just tried the V5 image (several times actually) but I can't get LMS (7.7.2) to run properly. I followed the install exactly as per http://www.squeezeplug.de/ and the squeezeboxserver process starts, but immediately dies and re-starts itself. The /var/log/squeezeboxserver/server.log simply says "Logitech Media Server died. Restarting." with timestamps about 6 seconds apart. And of course the web server can't be reached. SSH and ping are both fine. Top shows lots of CPU directed at the squeezeboxserver process, and new PIDs being created frequently.

One post I found that sounded like this problem suggested that the fix was to expand rootfs, which I did, but it made no difference.

Any ideas of what to try next? For now, I'll go back to my old V4 image I think and put up with occasional drop outs and stopping... :(

Thanks,
Rob.

[edit] Just saw the post about updating Squeezeplug and then installing LMS - I'm trying that now and will report back...[/edit]
Yes, it works! Any chance of putting the 5.05 SD image on the webpage so that people don't have to go through the hassle I've just had? :)

truehl

Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:25 pm

I'm hard working on 2 new versions. One will be SoftFloat and the other HardFloat.

I'm pretty sure it will be a nice X-MAS surprise!

Please be patient for some more days, I'm pretty close!
truehl

steves999

Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:44 pm

truehl wrote:
steves999 wrote:One thing that I'm realizing that I'll miss coming from Vortexbox (other than the CD auto-ripping, which I rarely used!) is the incremental media backup to a second external USB HDD. I guess I can learn a bit about Linux and do something from the putty command line, but if it was possible to add something that runs from the setup menu I for one would be a very happy bunny! (and of course will be more than happy to donate further to the cause ;) )
That's a very good idea! I've already tested something like this with rsync and it works great! I'll implement something like this in one of the next versions! Right now I'm very buisy with the new Hard-Float and Soft-Float versions based on the official images!

I'm now trying allway sync which seems to work for this...I use a backup drive attached to another machine on the network and incremental backup is pretty quick.

Looking forward to the new versions!

eklem

Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:16 pm

truehl wrote:I'm hard working on 2 new versions. One will be SoftFloat and the other HardFloat.

I'm pretty sure it will be a nice X-MAS surprise!

Please be patient for some more days, I'm pretty close!
Now this is something I can wait for! :D

Return to “Media centres”