jojojojojojo

Re: SqueezePlug Version 5 ready for download

Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:24 am

Argon wrote:Hello,

the 3.5 audio output makes a lot of noise on my Raspberry Pi setup. With HDMI it works ok!
What is the best/cheapest way to solve this problem

Buy a USB DAC (suggestions are welcome)
Or buy a HDMI to audio convertor (like this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PC-HDMI-to-VG ... 691wt_1164 )?

Thx !

Hi Argon,
Im using this one
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Behringer-UCA20 ... 013&sr=8-1
together with a Marantz amplifier. Sound is good! Although not perfect, but that is very likely due to my medieval speakers.
I have to say that Pauls suggestion above sounds very interesting and more tailored to the needs of supplying an analogue amplifier. I guess I have to spend another 30 Euro for testing.. thanks Paul:-)
Regards,
Johannes

pbattino

Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:16 am

v5 is GREAT improvement for me compared to v4! congratualtions !!!
truehl wrote:Hi folks,

SqueezePlug is a platform for different Media-Servers:

And SqueezePlug is a platform for different Media-clients or players:
- SqueezeSlave
- SqueezePlay (experimental)
- Shairport
- Omxplayer
Can you explain what is "experimental" in SqueezePlay?

Also: boot takes forever because DHCP on the ethernet alone wastes almost 1 minute. I have no ethernet attached!! On top of it, the WIFI connects BEFORE the ethernet, so the second DHCP attempt is twice useless (no cable connected and I already have an IP).

Is there a way of making it a bit smarter?
Something like:
1) if no cable connected, don't even try
2) if cable connected but already have an IP through WIFI, don't try
3) otherwise, try DHCP on the ethernet

right now, I had to disable the ethernet but it's "dirty": if for some reason the wifi does not work, I'm out of luck, and I should manually edit a file to restore the ethernet (which means plugging a monitor, a keyboard...)

thanks and congratulations!

bantammenace2012

Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:54 pm

jojojojojojo wrote:
Argon wrote:Hello,

the 3.5 audio output makes a lot of noise on my Raspberry Pi setup. With HDMI it works ok!
What is the best/cheapest way to solve this problem

Buy a USB DAC (suggestions are welcome)
Or buy a HDMI to audio convertor (like this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PC-HDMI-to-VG ... 691wt_1164 )?

Thx !
Or this one
http://www.monoprice.com/products/produ ... largeimage

Hi Argon,
Im using this one
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Behringer-UCA20 ... 013&sr=8-1
together with a Marantz amplifier. Sound is good! Although not perfect, but that is very likely due to my medieval speakers.
I have to say that Pauls suggestion above sounds very interesting and more tailored to the needs of supplying an analogue amplifier. I guess I have to spend another 30 Euro for testing.. thanks Paul:-)
Regards,
Johannes

zerosub

Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:22 pm

Thnx for Version 5 Thomas,

here's my report:
- installed smooth on 4GB SD Card
- 16 USB Stick with music(FAT formatted) is not automatically mounted (had to do "mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/hda1 manually)
- Audio Outlets are still hard to handle (HDMI vs. Analog Output)
- shairport is excellent. Works very nice.
-- would it be possible to include this workaround in future releases:
http://blog.stuart.shelton.me/archives/762
This would enable the squeezebox users to send Audio directly from their iOS/OSX Device to the squeezebox. I would love to see that feature.

Speed has improved. (I'm using the old 256MB RPi)

Excellent Job !!

Cheers,
Zerosub

lyzby

Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:28 pm

Regarding music playing at double speed, this is apparently an known problem with Squeezebox with internet radio at low bit rates dating back to 2004: http://forums.slimdevices.com/archive/i ... -7371.html

An example that I've found is "Super Blues Radio" http://yp.shoutcast.com/sbin/tunein-sta ... ?id=272198, which has a 48k bitrate.

Any ideas on how a fix for this might be found?

truehl

Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:37 pm

pbattino wrote:Can you explain what is "experimental" in SqueezePlay?
Experimental means that it is not running stable for me. You should only use it if you plan to help to improve it. SqueezeSlave is running stable so you should use this as a player.
pbattino wrote:Also: boot takes forever because DHCP on the ethernet alone wastes almost 1 minute. I have no ethernet attached!! On top of it, the WIFI connects BEFORE the ethernet, so the second DHCP attempt is twice useless (no cable connected and I already have an IP).
You can configure SqueezePlug to use static IP and by default WLAN is not used. You can use my setup scripts to cofnfiure network settings. So I can not see a problem here.
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de

bobbydriver

Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:07 pm

truehl wrote:
bobbydriver wrote:I'm curious about the Wireless stick – I have a Netgear N150, so when you say it "works out of the box" do you have some simple instructions for installing it with the SP image? At the moment I have the Pi ethernet hard-wired to my router but a working wireless connection would be a godsend! Any help is appreciated
Plug in the stick, type "setup" choose <network>, choose <WLAN> and type in net SSID of your WLAN, you password, choose DHCP or static IP, that's it!
Hmm - what am I doing wrong?

Did exactly as you stated and it ran through the set up OK

However, it doesn't connect wirelessly. If I connect via ethernet I can see the network\interfaces file says
# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
#
# The WLAN network interface
auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wpa-ssid "my network SSID"
wpa-psk "my network password"
#
# The LAN network interface
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
but if I type iwconfig it says
lo no wireless extensions.
eth0 no wireless extensions.
If I boot with just the Netgear N150 plugged in, then only the red LED lights up and it just sits there...

lsusb command tells me
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0846:9030 NetGear, Inc. WNA1100 Wireless-N 150 [Atheros AR9271]
Any ideas?

drgeoff

Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:27 pm

scotspaul wrote: If your after a cheap USB DAC I've heard great things about this item, http://www.amazon.co.uk/FiiO-D3-Coaxial ... B0053VKP8S given its price.
I cannot say if the great things that apparently have been heard about that converter are true. I can say that it is definitely not a USB DAC. It has no USB interface. It requires a SPDIF input (coax or optical) which the RPi does not provide.

(Also, today's English lesson: The proper contraction of "you are" is "you're", not "your".)

scotspaul

Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:14 am

drgeoff wrote:
scotspaul wrote: If your after a cheap USB DAC I've heard great things about this item, http://www.amazon.co.uk/FiiO-D3-Coaxial ... B0053VKP8S given its price.
I cannot say if the great things that apparently have been heard about that converter are true. I can say that it is definitely not a USB DAC. It has no USB interface. It requires a SPDIF input (coax or optical) which the RPi does not provide.

(Also, today's English lesson: The proper contraction of "you are" is "you're", not "your".)
Ah, your absolutely right, my mistake. Should have linked this on instead, which is a USB DAC.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005 ... d_i=468294

I was recently reading another forum where these were discussed, and linked the wrong one.

Sorry for any confusion!

PS... I'm not English

jojojojojojo

Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:46 am

drgeoff wrote:

So you say that picture 5 (top left corner pictures, the one with the schematics) in his link is wrong?

truehl

Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:25 am

bobbydriver wrote:
truehl wrote:
bobbydriver wrote:I'm curious about the Wireless stick – I have a Netgear N150, so when you say it "works out of the box" do you have some simple instructions for installing it with the SP image? At the moment I have the Pi ethernet hard-wired to my router but a working wireless connection would be a godsend! Any help is appreciated
Plug in the stick, type "setup" choose <network>, choose <WLAN> and type in net SSID of your WLAN, you password, choose DHCP or static IP, that's it!
Hmm - what am I doing wrong?

Did exactly as you stated and it ran through the set up OK

However, it doesn't connect wirelessly. If I connect via ethernet I can see the network\interfaces file says
# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
#
# The WLAN network interface
auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wpa-ssid "my network SSID"
wpa-psk "my network password"
#
# The LAN network interface
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
but if I type iwconfig it says
lo no wireless extensions.
eth0 no wireless extensions.
If I boot with just the Netgear N150 plugged in, then only the red LED lights up and it just sits there...

lsusb command tells me
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0846:9030 NetGear, Inc. WNA1100 Wireless-N 150 [Atheros AR9271]
Any ideas?
Hm,
strange, I have the Netgear N150 Wireless USB Microadapter running and that out of the box. I can not see any faults from your /etc/network/interfaces . I did connect my device directly to RPi without a powered or unpowered hub. I'm sorry I can't give you my output from iwconfig right now, cause I'm traveling till weekend. I'll check it when I'm back home!

Right now SqueezePlug runs only with Netgear N150 Wireless USB Microadapter. I failed with all my other adapters running fine on other devices like SheevaPlug, Dockstar and GoFlex. I don't know where the problem is here, but it's possible this adaptor only run with powered hubs. I'll try this later. Additionally I order two more WIFI adapters which should run on RPi without a powered hub. This adapter are:
BIGtec 150Mbit nano USB WLAN Stick and
EDIMAX EW-7811UN Wireless USB Adapter

I'll check them out when I'm back home and keep you posted!

I hope the BIGtec device will also run as an accesspoint, so I can run SqueezePlug as a "stand alone system". We will see!
truehl

Trixster

Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:27 am

I can confirm that the Edimax EW-7811UN Wireless USB Adapter works fine with v5, setup gets it running straight away, no dramas. Furthermore, this works plugged straight into one of the Pi's usb ports, a hub is not required provided a suitably decent PSU is used.

The only slight issue is that if the router drops out for any particular reason (reboot etc) then the adapter does not seem to automatically reconnect to it; a reboot of the Pi is required to re-establish a connection.

This was not the case with v4 when running the Adapter when it had been setup using MrEngman's script.

bobbydriver

Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:44 am

truehl wrote: Hm,
strange, I have the Netgear N150 Wireless USB Microadapter running and that out of the box. I can not see any faults from your /etc/network/interfaces . I did connect my device directly to RPi without a powered or unpowered hub. I'm sorry I can't give you my output from iwconfig right now, cause I'm traveling till weekend. I'll check it when I'm back home!
Is your Netgear N150 the regular one or the "Nano" one that is about a third of the size? Mine is the regular one ie Image
not

I'm plugging it direct into the USB slot of the Pi. I might try it in the laptop to make sure it's actually not just a dud

truehl

Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:55 am

bobbydriver wrote:
truehl wrote: Hm,
Is your Netgear N150 the regular one or the "Nano" one that is about a third of the size? Mine is the regular one ie Image
not

I'm plugging it direct into the USB slot of the Pi. I might try it in the laptop to make sure it's actually not just a dud
Mine is the Nano one!
truehl

bobbydriver

Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:14 am

Ah OK - maybe I'll try and get mine swapped out, the nano version is about £10 more expensive for some reason! Do you know if it supports 5ghz? The standard version supports only 2.4ghz

bobbydriver

Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:34 pm

The Edimax looks exactly like a branded N150 - in fact the Maplin site lists it as an Edimax N150 - the picture and spec are identical

pbattino

Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:17 pm

truehl wrote:
pbattino wrote:Also: boot takes forever because DHCP on the ethernet alone wastes almost 1 minute. I have no ethernet attached!! On top of it, the WIFI connects BEFORE the ethernet, so the second DHCP attempt is twice useless (no cable connected and I already have an IP).
You can configure SqueezePlug to use static IP and by default WLAN is not used. You can use my setup scripts to cofnfiure network settings. So I can not see a problem here.
I know I can configure it to use static IP, and as I said I disabled the ethernet to skip that delay.
I'm not saying it's broken, I'm just saying that, under a common configuration (DHCP, use WIFI, or use ETH if cable connected) there's a useless waste of time at boot. It's somehow unusual, I think.
Especially given the fact that there's no cable in the ETH interface, and AFAIK it is possible to detect whether the cable is plugged in or not.

truehl

Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:22 pm

pbattino wrote:
truehl wrote:
I know I can configure it to use static IP, and as I said I disabled the ethernet to skip that delay.
I'm not saying it's broken, I'm just saying that, under a common configuration (DHCP, use WIFI, or use ETH if cable connected) there's a useless waste of time at boot. It's somehow unusual, I think.
Especially given the fact that there's no cable in the ETH interface, and AFAIK it is possible to detect whether the cable is plugged in or not.
o.k. understood, if you know how to implement this, please tell us here and I'll try to implement it!
truehl

truehl

Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:24 pm

bobbydriver wrote:Ah OK - maybe I'll try and get mine swapped out, the nano version is about £10 more expensive for some reason! Do you know if it supports 5ghz? The standard version supports only 2.4ghz
Did you try it with a powered hub?
truehl

bobbydriver

Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:30 pm

No - I don't have a powered hub

Just been looking at the syslog from when I was rebooting and the only thing I can see of note around the WLAN stick is
Oct 23 20:52:33 squeezePI kernel: [ 3.371429] usb 1-1.3: Product: WNA1100
Oct 23 20:52:33 squeezePI kernel: [ 3.381580] usb 1-1.3: Manufacturer: NETGEAR WNA
Oct 23 20:52:33 squeezePI kernel: [ 3.388795] usb 1-1.3: SerialNumber: 12345
Oct 23 20:52:33 squeezePI kernel: [ 4.907819] bcm2708_i2c bcm2708_i2c.0: BSC0 Controller at 0x20205000 (irq 79)
Oct 23 20:52:33 squeezePI kernel: [ 5.054835] bcm2708_spi bcm2708_spi.0: SPI Controller at 0x20204000 (irq 80)
Oct 23 20:52:33 squeezePI kernel: [ 5.110822] bcm2708_i2c bcm2708_i2c.1: BSC1 Controller at 0x20804000 (irq 79)
Oct 23 20:52:33 squeezePI kernel: [ 5.323263] cfg80211: Calling CRDA to update world regulatory domain
Oct 23 20:52:33 squeezePI kernel: [ 6.361976] usb 1-1.3: ath9k_htc: Firmware - htc_9271.fw not found
Oct 23 20:52:33 squeezePI kernel: [ 6.376727] ath9k_htc: probe of 1-1.3:1.0 failed with error -22
Oct 23 20:52:33 squeezePI kernel: [ 6.401203] usbcore: registered new interface driver ath9k_htc
Oct 23 20:52:33 squeezePI kernel: [ 6.628643] cfg80211: World regulatory domain updated:
Any clues from that?

truehl

Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:15 pm

bobbydriver wrote:Oct 23 20:52:33 squeezePI kernel: [ 6.361976] usb 1-1.3: ath9k_htc: Firmware - htc_9271.fw not found
It seems the device uses an other Firmware than the Nano version which is not part of Raspbian. I can't check this right now, but I'm sure someone else can do!
truehl

woi_doi

Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:18 am

Oct 23 20:52:33 squeezePI kernel: [ 6.361976] usb 1-1.3: ath9k_htc: Firmware - htc_9271.fw not found
Oct 23 20:52:33 squeezePI kernel: [ 6.376727] ath9k_htc: probe of 1-1.3:1.0 failed with error -22

Seems that it needs Atheros Linux wireless drivers. This page http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/ath9k_htc seems to have all the info you need. Good luck!

vuki

Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:05 pm

Hi,
I upgraded to Version 5 but when I installed older SB server version (7.5.4) I couldn't access web interface. Samba works fine, I can browse folders, server info shows that server is running, but firefox says it can't establish connection to the server. With current LMS everything works fine, but I would really love to use the old version. With squeezeplug 4 everything worked fine.
Thanks,
Vuki

bobbydriver

Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:10 pm

woi_doi wrote: Seems that it needs Atheros Linux wireless drivers. This page http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/ath9k_htc seems to have all the info you need. Good luck!
Thanks for that! I downloaded the driver for ath9k_htc and put it in the /lib/firmware/ folder as described

Do I need to do something else to make it load?

Now when I boot the syslog says a few more positive things but still claims it can't find the firmware
Oct 25 18:40:27 squeezePI kernel: [ 3.330506] usb 1-1.2: Product: WNA1100
Oct 25 18:40:27 squeezePI kernel: [ 3.337710] usb 1-1.2: Manufacturer: NETGEAR WNA
Oct 25 18:40:27 squeezePI kernel: [ 3.344835] usb 1-1.2: SerialNumber: 12345
Oct 25 18:40:27 squeezePI kernel: [ 5.648278] bcm2708_i2c bcm2708_i2c.0: BSC0 Controller at 0x20205000 (irq 79)
Oct 25 18:40:27 squeezePI kernel: [ 5.768058] bcm2708_spi bcm2708_spi.0: SPI Controller at 0x20204000 (irq 80)
Oct 25 18:40:27 squeezePI kernel: [ 5.828656] bcm2708_i2c bcm2708_i2c.1: BSC1 Controller at 0x20804000 (irq 79)
Oct 25 18:40:27 squeezePI kernel: [ 6.016412] cfg80211: Calling CRDA to update world regulatory domain
Oct 25 18:40:27 squeezePI kernel: [ 7.106836] firmware 1-1.2: firmware_loading_store: vmap() failed
Oct 25 18:40:27 squeezePI kernel: [ 7.115772] usb 1-1.2: ath9k_htc: Firmware - htc_9271.fw not found
Oct 25 18:40:27 squeezePI kernel: [ 7.128257] ath9k_htc: probe of 1-1.2:1.0 failed with error -22
Oct 25 18:40:27 squeezePI kernel: [ 7.142810] usbcore: registered new interface driver ath9k_htc
Oct 25 18:40:27 squeezePI kernel: [ 7.382360] cfg80211: World regulatory domain updated:
If I do an lsmod it seems to be saying that some ath9k_htc modules are loaded?
ath9k_htc 54918 0
mac80211 236178 1 ath9k_htc
ath9k_common 3181 1 ath9k_htc
ath9k_hw 376754 2 ath9k_common,ath9k_htc
ath 16648 3 ath9k_hw,ath9k_common,ath9k_htc
cfg80211 171957 3 ath,mac80211,ath9k_htc
Any thoughts?

Return to “Media centres”