jojojojojojo

Re: SqueezePlug Version 5 ready for download

Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:03 am

truehl wrote: Hi Johannes,
so I think it works now, right? If not, give me a sign!
Hi Thomas,
HD now works, thanks for asking back!
And with Phils hint below, I also got my USB Soundcard (Behringer UCA 202) working properly!
Thank you guys a lot!
Regards,
Jojo

PS to get analog working I have to unplug USB and reboot, Same the other way round, to get USB Soundcard working I ahve to plug it in and reboot, but I guess thats normal? Or does it have to do with the asound.conf?

florca wrote:
I had the same symptoms connecting to my USB TP30 amp. The /etc/asound.conf has changed and the new version doesn't seem to like USB sound cards.

Try:

Code: Select all

pcm.!default {
type plug 
slave.pcm "hw:0,0"
}

ctl.dmixer {
type hw
card 0
}

Which cured it for me. New version seems much cleaner, decent sound on both USB and analogue, very happy!

Many thanks

Phil

florca

Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:26 pm

jojojojojojo wrote: PS to get analog working I have to unplug USB and reboot, Same the other way round, to get USB Soundcard working I ahve to plug it in and reboot, but I guess thats normal? Or does it have to do with the asound.conf?
Yes, this is governed by what's defined in /etc/asound.conf and which devices are visible at boot. If a USB sound card is visible at boot it will normally be Card 0 with the analogue jack as Card 1. If there is no USB sound device then the analogue output (BCM2835) will be Card 0. Inserting a USB sound device after boot will normally enumerate it as Card 1.

To see which devices are present and their numbering use either:

aplay -l

or

cat /proc/asound/cards

To force the output to a given device irrespective of whether it's available at startup you can use the card name rather than number - see:

http://alsa.opensrc.org/FAQ026?title=FAQ026&oldid=3731

for some useful pointers on asound.conf syntax

Brgds

Phil (not at all knowledgeable about ALSA but OK at Google!)

jojojojojojo

Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:47 pm

Great, thanks for the hints!

SimonF

Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:49 pm

Dear Thomas

Hello – I am posting here for the first time. I have been watching your project with interest, and thank you very much. My priority is to have a squeezebox server which is low power consumption and easy to maintain.

I think you're doing excellent work. It is especially important because of the recent news that Logitech are stopping support for squeezebox products and software (eventually). This is very sad, and means it is important that we can have a stable squeezebox media server system so that our players can work in the future when other operating systems have changed and the LMS server software is not kept up to date.

I am running a Raspberry Pi with Ethernet. With some difficulty I managed to get one of your version 4.xx up and running. I have a USB flash memory stick inserted directly into the Pi. It is formatted with Fat 32, and has some music albums in the root directory and some others in a folder called "Music".

Now I have installed your version 5.00, and upgraded to 5.02. If I follow the instructions in the menu after Setup, then I am following Media_Handling and then Media_Library (Configure the Media Library). This seems to be different from under the 4.xx. I am not sure what it means to "create an empty library for all the data you like to access from your Squeezeplug device".

If I follow the "Yes" to configure the media library, it tells me it has been successfully configured (using option 4 USB (external USB HD or SATA on GoFlex Net). Then I am told that the Medial Library was successfully configured and mounted and can be found on /mnt/internal/.

I am not sure what this means. Does it mean that it found my USB flash drive?

I can check my USB flash memory stick back in my PC and the music is still there.

I can find LMS up and running as you suggest on HTTP://squeezeplug: 9000. Under the settings for LMS I can set the Media Folders to /mnt/internal. But it does not find any music.

I am not sure how I'm supposed to find the music on my USB flash memory stick. Is it possible to give some explanation of what is happening here?

Many thanks – Simon

truehl

Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:42 pm

SimonF wrote:I am not sure how I'm supposed to find the music on my USB flash memory stick. Is it possible to give some explanation of what is happening here?
Hi Simon, thank for your post! Is it possible, that you did not choose the USB option (No 4) you have to go down with the curser and then press the space tab to activate this option! Please tell me if you have success or if you need more help!
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de

jojojojojojo

Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:58 am

SimonF wrote:
I am not sure how I'm supposed to find the music on my USB flash memory stick. Is it possible to give some explanation of what is happening here?

Many thanks – Simon

Hi Simon,
I can answer this one I guess, I had the same issue.
I login via putty (ssh) to the pi and used the setup command from Thomas, just like you did. Now, getting to the menue where you can chosse the 4 options with number 4 being the USB-one, I only could select it by clicking on it with the Mouse!! Navigating to it with the cursor and hitting Enter did not work, it then always picked option 1 despite I was on option 4. So using the mouse to hit option 4 finally did the trick. I dont know, maybe thats a small bug in the setup-script, Thomas?
Anyway, after mousing through option 4 it correctly mounted my harddrive:-) Dont go through the menue too quickly though, because it will ask if you want to format the USB-drive. Which I almost did.. puh:-)
Regards,
Johannes

truehl

Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:17 am

jojojojojojo wrote:I login via putty (ssh) to the pi and used the setup command from Thomas, just like you did. Now, getting to the menue where you can chosse the 4 options with number 4 being the USB-one, I only could select it by clicking on it with the Mouse!! Navigating to it with the cursor and hitting Enter did not work, it then always picked option 1 despite I was on option 4. So using the mouse to hit option 4 finally did the trick. I dont know, maybe thats a small bug in the setup-script, Thomas?
Did you try it without a mouse? Use the cursor keys and if the option you need is highlighted press the space bar?! That should work and I changed the text in that script with patch level 5.01. If it's still misleading, tell me and I'll change it! It must be possible to configure SqueezePlug without a mouse!
truehl

skare

Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:57 am

Hi

Is there a list of recommended USB Wifi adapators for the RPi to use with Squeezeplug which are plug'n'play?

Would prefer one that's not dependent on a powered USB hub :)

jojojojojojo

Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:33 am

Hi Thomas,
I tried without a mouse and only cursor keys. But then Enter-Button instead of space bar. Maybe thats the problem? With the Enter-Button it would not select option 4 in this submenue, but only sticked with option 1. In all other menues I also used Enter-button and it gave no problems! Did not know even know that Spacebar also works (probably I should read more carefully your instructions:-)
Regards,
Johannes

Argon

Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:32 am

@ jojojojojojo

Enter is to enter in a menu or choice (like you said this alwasy worked in Squeezeplug).
Space is to select an option in a list and after that you selected the option you have to push on the "enter" button.

So, "Enter" and "Space" are not the same. :-)

jojojojojojo

Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:24 pm

Hi Argon,
thanks for the explanation, sounds very reasonable!
Regards,
Johannes

truehl

Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:57 pm

skare wrote:Hi

Is there a list of recommended USB Wifi adapators for the RPi to use with Squeezeplug which are plug'n'play?

I like this one very much:
Netgear N150 Wireless USB Microadapter
Works out of the box!
truehl

cubii

Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:17 pm

Hi,
nice new version, perfectly fitting for my needs. I tried owncloud and crashplan and both do not work.

Which adress should i use to open owncloud? ip/owncloud doesnt work
and crashplan wont start on my notebook if change the address in the config file
how can i check if crashplan is running on the raspi?
i also found the howto http://support.crashplan.com/doku.php/h ... 5D%3Dlinux
but doesnt help much...

LMS and samba are working good!

truehl

Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:43 am

cubii wrote:Hi,
nice new version, perfectly fitting for my needs. I tried owncloud and crashplan and both do not work.
Him, I checked both, they worked! I'll check once more when I'm back home, but this will be at weekend, so be a bit patient!
truehl

cubii

Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:56 am

Kein Stress!

I will use blanc sd card and try to set it up again, but this time i start with the lan configuration and resuzing of the image (fiiting on sd card)
And then i will install all progs.

Relly nice that u use all apps i need!

skare

Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:10 am

truehl wrote:

Works out of the box!
Ordered :)

Loving the new 5.0 on my RPi.

Like that you added both CrashPlan and OwnCloud. Thanks :)

SimonF

Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:07 am

truehl wrote:
jojojojojojo wrote:I login via putty (ssh) to the pi and used the setup command from Thomas, just like you did. Now, getting to the menue where you can chosse the 4 options with number 4 being the USB-one, I only could select it by clicking on it with the Mouse!! Navigating to it with the cursor and hitting Enter did not work, it then always picked option 1 despite I was on option 4. So using the mouse to hit option 4 finally did the trick. I dont know, maybe thats a small bug in the setup-script, Thomas?
Did you try it without a mouse? Use the cursor keys and if the option you need is highlighted press the space bar?! That should work and I changed the text in that script with patch level 5.01. If it's still misleading, tell me and I'll change it! It must be possible to configure SqueezePlug without a mouse!
Many thanks to Thomas and Johannes

Yes – that was it. I needed to press the spacebar to get option 4. Now I have my USB stick installed and I'm up and running with the squeezeplug server. This is very exciting. I have been dreaming about doing this since I first read about the raspberry Pi about a year ago.

My server is now consuming just 2w, including the power supply. Previously I was running LMS on a Windows 7 netbook at about 11w. So that is a small but significant saving, and it frees up the netbook for other uses. I will use a timer switch to turn off the Raspberry Pi server at night, because 2w is more than my other equipment uses in standby overnight.

For information, I am using a SanDisk Extreme 8 GB SD card which claims to be Class 10, (up to 30 MB/s). It runs extremely fast.

I tried installing SqueezeSlave, but it would not play my audio files which are WMA (VBR 240-355 Kbps) (it says unsupported file format). Is there known to be a problem with this? I would like to resolve it. Otherwise, when SqueezePlayer is functional I could try that, because the Windows version certainly can play WMV files.

I am grateful to Thomas for this fantastic project.

Simon

drgeoff

Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:10 pm

cubii wrote:Hi,

Which adress should i use to open owncloud? ip/owncloud doesnt work
Owncloud worked fine for me though I probably will not use it in anger. I didn't install crashplan.

tymoxa

Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:10 pm

I have a couple of glitches with Squeezeplug 5.
I have installed LMS and Squeezeslave onto RPi. I play music through HDMI to my reciever.
And i have sound only if boot up RPi when reciever is On. This one i can fix with adding hdmi_force_hotplug=1 to config.txt
The other glitch i cannot fix without rebooting RPi. I switch off reciever on night and when switch it on in the morning - i have no sound through HDMI. Is there a fix to this?

bantammenace2012

Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:51 pm

Hi, I've successfully installed Squeezeplug and SqueezeSlave onto my RPi. I can stream internet radio through HDMI so I know its working. My music is stored on a folder on a USB stick attached to a powered hub.
I am unable to browse to the media folder on the USB stick. How do I get it to appear in the 'Select a Folder Panel' ? Am i looking in the correct place ?
Do I need the USB stick in at boot or do I insert it after boot ?
Are there some things in Setup that I need to do ?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

truehl

Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:05 am

bantammenace2012 wrote:Hi, I've successfully installed Squeezeplug and SqueezeSlave onto my RPi. I can stream internet radio through HDMI so I know its working. My music is stored on a folder on a USB stick attached to a powered hub.
I am unable to browse to the media folder on the USB stick. How do I get it to appear in the 'Select a Folder Panel' ? Am i looking in the correct place ?
Do I need the USB stick in at boot or do I insert it after boot ?
Are there some things in Setup that I need to do ?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Did you choose the Media Library option from the main menu? You have to configure the path to the USB-Stick from here!
truehl

cubii

Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:17 am

after a new start, owncloud installed properly. But i had a file size limit of 8mb (i tried to change some ini file, now i have 0mb filesize... :evil: )
Which ini file is responisble for it?

Crashplan is not working... It installed ok, i changed the backupfolder, i even changed the setting file on the raspi where the localhost is defined to 0.0.0.0
and then changed the settings file of my crasplan installation on my notebook to the ip of the rasi and removed the "#". But still no luck. Disabling firewalls and portforwarding didnt changed the problem...
If anybody has crasplan running, i would be happy for a howto!

bobbydriver

Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:29 am

truehl wrote:

Works out of the box!
I finally got my Pi yesterday and had Squeezeplug up and running in less than an hour! Amazing. OK, so I had experience of building it on a GFNet but the Pi has more RAM and a Class 10 SD card make it seem more responsive already. Amazing work from Mr Truehl!

I'm curious about the Wireless stick – I have a Netgear N150, so when you say it "works out of the box" do you have some simple instructions for installing it with the SP image? At the moment I have the Pi ethernet hard-wired to my router but a working wireless connection would be a godsend! Any help is appreciated

Argon

Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:34 am

tymoxa wrote:The other glitch i cannot fix without rebooting RPi. I switch off reciever on night and when switch it on in the morning - i have no sound through HDMI. Is there a fix to this?
+1

On the V4 version I didn't had this problem. Strange :-)

truehl

Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:00 am

Argon wrote:
tymoxa wrote:The other glitch i cannot fix without rebooting RPi. I switch off reciever on night and when switch it on in the morning - i have no sound through HDMI. Is there a fix to this?
+1

On the V4 version I didn't had this problem. Strange :-)
I don't know what's wrong here, maybe you can try to update the firmware. Please do a backup of the FW before, you can use the RPi Specials menu from my scripts for backup and FW update. Please try this and report back the result!

Thx a lot,
Thomas
truehl

Return to “Media centres”