truehl

Re: SqueezePlug Version 5 ready for download

Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:31 pm

castalla wrote:Too late - rpi-update done

If it's that dangerous then I'd suggest removing it from your options, or put in a warning!

Never had any issues with the card previously - it's a Toshiba class 10 (I think).

Anyway - just shows you what you can run into with naive users!
There is a waring and to avoid problems I recommend users to make a backup first! So what else shall I do? Normally updating the firmware is no problem, but one of the last firmware causes that sound breaks after a few songs. The FW I installed on my image is stable and works pretty well!

It's obvious that you have a problem with your system! Or I have a problem with my new version. Perhaps other guys here in the forum could test the FW backup function to be sure there is no problem with the image! I tested a lot and haven't seen such massive problems!

Please try to solve one problem after the other! What's the need for rpi-update?
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de

castalla

Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:40 pm

I think the discussion can show others what traps they can fall into ...

I guess using 'guest' as username might work!

I'm not about to try it again, as I've spent too many hours on this today!

It all seems to be up and running as with the earlier version - so, I'm leaving it alone now!

Maybe others will post in experiences which will be more positive than mine!

(ps: a minor point - some of the English text needs to be modified :) )

Argon

Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:45 pm

Hello,

Just used the Firmware backup function: Works perfect !
So Castalla, there is something wrong with your setup i think...

Truehl: Thanks for the massive work !

castalla

Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:53 pm

I read the warning - and accordingly then went for the recommended backup - that's where it went wrong.

Personally, if it's not necessary, and so potentially problematical, then I'd just remove the rpi-update option from the menus!

castalla

Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:56 pm

Oh dear .... I wouln't know where to start discovering the problem!

Let my experiences just stand as a lesson to others, then!

Boomer

Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:48 am

Thomas,

Love the new version!! Everything loads so much faster!! Also, special thanks for the wlan help. I was afraid to try Mr. Engman's script with your distro.

Everything is great, except I get no sound. I set up and configured my Pi to run Squeeze Slave. I'm able to log on and everything, but when I play Pandora, there's nothing coming through my earphones.

I've got a Grant Fidelity DAC connected to the powered USB hub. When version 5.0 was in Alpha, I could get sound through my DAC, although it was breaking up a lot.

Any suggestions? BTW, I'm not running headless and still have my HDMI cable attached, but I thought the software was smart enough to force the sound out through the USB port.

Thanks in advance and, thanks again for doing this. Must've been a real labor of love.

Best,

Jack

jrgarrett

Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:21 am

Just installed version 5 and had a question. I am wanting to have both ShairPort and Squeezeslave available (LMS is on another device). I have to manually shutdown Squeezeslave to get output from ShairPort (currently just using the headphone jack). Is anyone aware of a work around for this?

Also, thanks truehl for putting this together. This is the perfect solution to provide inexpensive players around the house.

truehl

Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:36 am

jrgarrett wrote:Just installed version 5 and had a question. I am wanting to have both ShairPort and Squeezeslave available (LMS is on another device). I have to manually shutdown Squeezeslave to get output from ShairPort (currently just using the headphone jack). Is anyone aware of a work around for this?

Also, thanks truehl for putting this together. This is the perfect solution to provide inexpensive players around the house.
You can try this:
nano /etc/init.d/shairport

and the change it like this:

Code: Select all

start() { 
    echo -n "Starting shairport: " 
    start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --pidfile "$PIDFILE" \ 
                      --exec "$DAEMON" -b --oknodo -- $DAEMON_ARGS \ 
                      --apname="Dockstar (CDR)" --play_prog="/etc/init.d/squeezeslave stop" --stop_prog="/etc/init.d/squeezeslave start" 
    log_end_msg $? 
}
Please report back the result, if it works I'll integrate it !
Thomas
truehl

truehl

Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:38 am

Boomer wrote:Everything is great, except I get no sound. I set up and configured my Pi to run Squeeze Slave. I'm able to log on and everything, but when I play Pandora, there's nothing coming through my earphones.
Is this only while playing Pandora ???
truehl

jrgarrett

Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:49 pm

start() { 
                      --apname="Dockstar (CDR)" --play_prog="/etc/init.d/squeezeslave stop" 
                      --stop_prog="/etc/init.d/squeezeslave start" 
    log_end_msg $? 
}
The above code stopped squeezeslave when I started airplay but failed to restart squeezeslave when I unchecked airplay in my music player. I you have any other thoughts let me know and I will be happy to check them out.

jojojojojojo

Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:17 pm

Hi,
thanks a lot for the update!
Unfortunately it does not recognize my USB harddisk anmore that I plug. I think. If in setup I go to MEdia_Handling (in v4 "Library"), then Media_Library, I can only choose to make an empty library!? Anyway, if I continue with "Yes" and then pick point 4, "USB", it creates unter mount a folder internal, but this one does not contain anything thats on the harddisk.
Maybe someone can tell me what Im doing wrong..
Thanks,
Johannes

EDIT: unplugging the device, then going to point 4 "USB" helped, it now asked me for the device:-)!

Boomer

Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:40 pm

Thomas,

No sound regardless of what's playing. The software is recognizing my DAC and I hear a hiss on booting and on shutting down. Just nothing in between. I also tried running headless and it doesn't see to matter.

Any suggestions?

Jack

truehl

Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:57 pm

jojojojojojo wrote:Hi,
thanks a lot for the update!
Unfortunately it does not recognize my USB harddisk anmore that I plug. I think. If in setup I go to MEdia_Handling (in v4 "Library"), then Media_Library, I can only choose to make an empty library!? Anyway, if I continue with "Yes" and then pick point 4, "USB", it creates unter mount a folder internal, but this one does not contain anything thats on the harddisk.
Maybe someone can tell me what Im doing wrong..
Thanks,
Johannes

EDIT: unplugging the device, then going to point 4 "USB" helped, it now asked me for the device:-)!
Hi Johannes,
so I think it works now, right? If not, give me a sign!
truehl

truehl

Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:58 pm

Boomer wrote:Thomas,

No sound regardless of what's playing. The software is recognizing my DAC and I hear a hiss on booting and on shutting down. Just nothing in between. I also tried running headless and it doesn't see to matter.

Any suggestions?

Jack
No sound only with your DAC or even from the onboard soundcard (analogue or HDMI)?
truehl

Trixster

Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:50 pm

Just setup, running perfectly, wifi dongle works perfectly too. Nice work Thomas!

florca

Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:09 pm

Everything is great, except I get no sound. I set up and configured my Pi to run Squeeze Slave. I'm able to log on and everything, but when I play Pandora, there's nothing coming through my earphones.

I've got a Grant Fidelity DAC connected to the powered USB hub. When version 5.0 was in Alpha, I could get sound through my DAC, although it was breaking up a lot.

Jack
I had the same symptoms connecting to my USB TP30 amp. The /etc/asound.conf has changed and the new version doesn't seem to like USB sound cards.

Try:

pcm.!default {
type plug 
slave.pcm "hw:0,0"
}

ctl.dmixer {
type hw
card 0
}

Which cured it for me. New version seems much cleaner, decent sound on both USB and analogue, very happy!

Many thanks

Phil

Boomer

Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:18 pm

Thomas,

It plays fine through the HDMI port on my TV. Must the my DAC for some reason, which seems odd since it detects it at boot up.

Anything I can do?

Jack

florca

Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:24 pm

Boomer wrote:
Anything I can do?

Jack
Jack - You could try reading the post above??

Phil

truehl

Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:26 pm

It plays fine through the HDMI port on my TV. Must the my DAC for some reason, which seems odd since it detects it at boot up.

Anything I can do?

Jack
Did you try Florca's hint? I have no idea! And you got the DAC working with the 4.08 version or with the 5 test version?
truehl

florca

Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:00 pm

Boomer wrote:BTW, I'm not running headless and still have my HDMI cable attached, but I thought the software was smart enough to force the sound out through the USB port.
Jack
Also... Having re-read this, try shutting down, disconnecting the HDMI cable from the Pi and restarting. I've had had similar silences from USB (& analogue) with an HDMI cable still attached..

Try both distributed and revised (as above) /etc/asound.conf files with a reboot or squeezeslave & alsa restart between each. You can restart ALSA with:

/etc/init.d/alsa-utils restart

and Squeezeslave with:

/etc/init.d/squeezeslave restart

Brgds

Phil

truehl

Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:58 pm

Update to 5.02 available

A new update is available. This is an important patch for users using RPi as a Samba server. The Samba config has a bug in configuration. It contains a wrong mount point for the media library. That's corrected with version 5.02.

You can easily update your RPi by:
"setup" <Advanced_Configuration> <Update_SP>

Newer patches already contains older! This means that the 5.02 Patch includes the 5.01 patch., so you have to run the update routine only once!

Sorry for the high update frequency I'm sure it will slow down next time! But right now I get the feedback I wished I get from beta testing. Only a few guys joined beta testing, so the feedback was rare. But thanks for the few beta testers, you helped a lot. And thanks to all the positive feedback!

I like to make SqueezePlug better and better.

Patch History:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
initial version
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
expand_rootfs_2.disabled: Hint included for the process is taking some time
lib.sh: Changed some text to make it more clear
smb.default: Changed because of a wrong mount point for the media library
rpi_fw_update.sh: Changed some text for warnings
truehl

jrgarrett

Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:43 pm

Thomas,
This code worked (only tested it on headphone jack). Added a "\" at the 5th line and changed apname.
start() {
--apname="AirPi" --play_prog="/etc/init.d/squeezeslave stop" \
--stop_prog="/etc/init.d/squeezeslave start"
log_end_msg $?
}
Thanks for your help with this. I did note that there is some "clicking" when the program stops/starts. Thanks again for all your work.

Jim
Last edited by jrgarrett on Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

truehl

Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:47 pm

castalla wrote:(ps: a minor point - some of the English text needs to be modified :) )
Hi Castalla,
thanks for the hint! As you perhaps know, I'm not a native speaker so I'm sure there are typos in text in my posts as well in my scripts! And I'm also sure there are grammatical faults and some others more!

Please keep in mind that this project is almost a one man show and there is no profit behind it except the fun! I would be happy if people like you would help in making SqueezePlug even better in spite of only telling me there are faults! I hope your hint is an offer to help to correct the scripts in spelling, isn't it?

You and all the others are invited to work with me in the SqueezePlug project! Tell me if you are interessted!

Have fun Thomas
Last edited by truehl on Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
truehl

Trixster

Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:51 pm

What memory splits are people using? Is there any real benefit from overclocking if you're just running LMS and no squeezeplay/squeezeslave?

truehl

Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:01 am

Important hint:

Please run SqueezePlug Update before doing something else!

"setup" <Advanced_Options> <Update_SP> !

After doing this, you are save to configure your Raspi SqueezePlug!

Have fun!
truehl

Return to “Media centres”