User avatar
truehl
Posts: 642
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:47 pm
Contact: Website

SqueezePlug Version 5 ready for download

Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:02 pm

Hi folks,

GREAT NEWS!

I'm very happy to tell you that SqueezePlug for Raspberry Pi version 5 is now ready for download.

SqueezePlug Media-Server version 5.00 for Raspberry Pi is based on Rasbian Hard Float now and has some massive improvement in performance and in functionality!

SqueezePlug is a platform for different Media-Servers:
- Logitech Media Server (f.k.a. Slimserver, SqueezeBox Server)
- MiniDLNA
- MPD
- Mediatomb
- Twonky
- Forked DAAPD

And SqueezePlug is a platform for different Media-clients or players:
- SqueezeSlave
- SqueezePlay (experimental)
- Shairport
- Omxplayer

And SqueezePlug offers some other services
- Crashplan
- Owncloud

All these servers and players are ready to install by just a click.

Included features are:
- Scripts for all SqueezePlug configurations
- Expand RootFS automatically
- Create a Swap File
- Change Timezone, Hostname, Password, SSH-Keys,
- Configure Network Settings
- Support for wireless USB-Sticks
- Change Overclocking and Memory Spilt
- Handling of external drives
- Cloning SD-Cards
- Samba Server already included
- HD-Idle included
- Update functions included

The installation is based on the Raspbian Installer as a minimal installation from scratch. The kernel and all packages are up to date. There is no X-Server or other graphic things installed. The intention of SqueezePlug is to run a headless Media-Server and Player. So SSH is installed and activated. All you have to do is this:

1. Download, unzip and burn the sd-card
2. Start the Pi and find out the IP-Address (e.g. from an attached monitor or from your router).
3. login with user: root and pw: nosoup4u
4. Choose Raspberry Pi from the initial screen.
5. Reboot the RPi
6. Connect again and type: setup
7. Choose the options you need and the scripts will do the rest for you.

Please visit my blog to download the new image: http:/squeezeplug.de
Look for sp_rpi_500.zip.

I'll update my Wiki and videos later to regarding Raspberry Pi version 5.

There will be images for SheevaPlug, DockStar and GoFlex Net later this year.

Have fun,
Greetings,
Thomas
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de

Boomer
Posts: 80
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:22 pm

Re: SqueezePlug Version 5 ready for download

Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:06 pm

Thomas,

This is great news!! Thank you for working so hard for everyone's benefit. Can't wait to try the new build!!

Best,

Jack

User avatar
truehl
Posts: 642
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:47 pm
Contact: Website

Re: SqueezePlug Version 5 ready for download

Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:46 pm

Boomer wrote:Thomas,

This is great news!! Thank you for working so hard for everyone's benefit. Can't wait to try the new build!!

Best,

Jack
Yes, do it and please tell us how it`s going!

P.S.: The new image comes as a 2GB image! If you use a bigger SD-Card, run "setup" <Basic_ Configuration>, <Expand_RootFS> and you will use the full space!
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de

castalla
Posts: 558
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:46 pm

Re: SqueezePlug Version 5 ready for download

Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:56 pm

Before trying this version, can you confirm that the music library setup works correctly?

(I don't have a spare card to try it out - and because it's another public holiday here - again - there's nowhere open to buy a new card!).

In the previous version I had to manually mount a cifs server to \music as the setup routine wouldn't correctly reference the external device.

castalla
Posts: 558
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:46 pm

Re: SqueezePlug Version 5 ready for download

Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:43 pm

Forget the above! I've decided to try out the version 5 .... installing LMS at the moment .... BUT

How long is it supposed to take? It has been at:

Unpacking libavcodec53:armhf .... for more than 10 minutes

I've no idea whether it's stuck or is actually doing anything!


Looks like I'll have to do the whole install from fresh.

User avatar
truehl
Posts: 642
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:47 pm
Contact: Website

Re: SqueezePlug Version 5 ready for download

Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:54 pm

castalla wrote:Before trying this version, can you confirm that the music library setup works correctly?

(I don't have a spare card to try it out - and because it's another public holiday here - again - there's nowhere open to buy a new card!).

In the previous version I had to manually mount a cifs server to \music as the setup routine wouldn't correctly reference the external device.
The routine is completely renewed and I tested it! It should work! Everything will be mounted to /mnt now. E.g if you like to mount a Samba share, it will be mounted to /mnt/samba. Tell me if you have trouble!
Last edited by truehl on Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de

castalla
Posts: 558
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:46 pm

Re: SqueezePlug Version 5 ready for download

Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:57 pm

See post above yours!

I think it's stuck on the install.

User avatar
truehl
Posts: 642
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:47 pm
Contact: Website

Re: SqueezePlug Version 5 ready for download

Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:58 pm

castalla wrote:Forget the above! I've decided to try out the version 5 .... installing LMS at the moment .... BUT

How long is it supposed to take? It has been at:

Unpacking libavcodec53:armhf .... for more than 10 minutes

I've no idea whether it's stuck or is actually doing anything!


Looks like I'll have to do the whole install from fresh.
Is it possible, that you ran out of space? If you install LMS you need some space. If you did not expand the RootFS maybe you ran out of space! You should also check your Internet connection!
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de

castalla
Posts: 558
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:46 pm

Re: SqueezePlug Version 5 ready for download

Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:05 pm

I expanded the file space.

Internet connection is 6 mb

I'll try the whole setup again.

castalla
Posts: 558
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:46 pm

Re: SqueezePlug Version 5 ready for download

Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:51 pm

Okay - moved on a bit.

This time I did the network setup for LAN before I did anything else.

LMS installed.

However, the media library failed totally - I chose Samba and it just said it was set-up - didn't ask for any address.

I need to add the cifs routine to fstab to mount the external device.

I'll try that now and get back with more detail.

User avatar
truehl
Posts: 642
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:47 pm
Contact: Website

Re: SqueezePlug Version 5 ready for download

Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:08 pm

castalla wrote:Okay - moved on a bit.

This time I did the network setup for LAN before I did anything else.

LMS installed.

However, the media library failed totally - I chose Samba and it just said it was set-up - didn't ask for any address.

I need to add the cifs routine to fstab to mount the external device.

I'll try that now and get back with more detail.
I think you choose the wrong option! Is it possible, that you choose to install the Samba server and not to configure the media library? Best we would discuss this on Skype and tell the result here for everyone else!
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de

castalla
Posts: 558
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:46 pm

Re: SqueezePlug Version 5 ready for download

Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:18 pm

Sorry but no .... I chose the media library option and the samba sub-section.

Nothing was written to fstab.

Again, sorry - don't use Skype!

User avatar
truehl
Posts: 642
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:47 pm
Contact: Website

Re: SqueezePlug Version 5 ready for download

Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:35 pm

castalla wrote:Sorry but no .... I chose the media library option and the samba sub-section.

Nothing was written to fstab.

Again, sorry - don't use Skype!
I checked again and I think you made a mistake. Or my script works not like yours! I made this:
"setup", <Media_Handling>, <Media_Library>, <yes>, cursor one down, :!: space :!: (don't forget space, the option must be choose!, <Enter IP Address>, <Enter the path of your samba server>, <enter the samba user name>, <Enter the samba password>, This entry in /etc/fstab will be generated: //192.168.2.105/music /mnt/samba/ cifs username=root,password=nosoup4u
The samba share will be automatically mounted to /mnt/samba

Please check once more!
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de

castalla
Posts: 558
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:46 pm

Re: SqueezePlug Version 5 ready for download

Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:55 pm

You're probably correct!

But, the need to press SPACE is NOT clear.

Also there's no way to backout except by Ctrl C if the user doesn't want to continue.

In any event, I just edited the fstab file myself.

Overall, as a basic user experience in installing, I'd give the routine 3 out of 5.

I suspect the first problem I had was caused ny not setting up the LAN - you might emphasise this as a necessary step before the user continues.

LMS is working again - I'll test it over the next few days and give feedback as necessary.

Thanks for your work and for the help!

User avatar
truehl
Posts: 642
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:47 pm
Contact: Website

Re: SqueezePlug Version 5 ready for download

Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:06 pm

castalla wrote:You're probably correct!

But, the need to press SPACE is NOT clear.

Also there's no way to backout except by Ctrl C if the user doesn't want to continue.

In any event, I just edited the fstab file myself.

Overall, as a basic user experience in installing, I'd give the routine 3 out of 5.

I suspect the first problem I had was caused ny not setting up the LAN - you might emphasise this as a necessary step before the user continues.

LMS is working again - I'll test it over the next few days and give feedback as necessary.

Thanks for your work and for the help!
Thanks for the input! I'll think about changing this, I thought it was clear, but if you fail, maybe others will fail as well. The first problems can't have something to do with DHCP. There is no need for static IP, DHCP is fine! The script will give you a message, if the LMS sources can't be downloaded from the internet. I've changed all my scripts to make an error handling if an Internet connection is needed and it's missing. So the first fault must be something else!
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de

castalla
Posts: 558
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:46 pm

Re: SqueezePlug Version 5 ready for download

Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:31 pm

Okay. Thanks.

By the way, how does your script handle a guest user of the samba server?
No username or password ...

User avatar
truehl
Posts: 642
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:47 pm
Contact: Website

Re: SqueezePlug Version 5 ready for download

Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:17 pm

castalla wrote:By the way, how does your script handle a guest user of the samba server?
No username or password ...
Leave Username and Password blank. Be sure you activate the Guest Account to use this option. I'll give a hint in the new script, coming with a first update!
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de

castalla
Posts: 558
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:46 pm

Re: SqueezePlug Version 5 ready for download

Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:00 pm

Another problem?

I'm trying the firmware backup routine - this has started ... and again seems stuck on /boot/arm182_start.elf

I just unplugged the Pi power to stop.

Looks like another install is necessary!

User avatar
truehl
Posts: 642
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:47 pm
Contact: Website

Re: SqueezePlug Version 5 ready for download

Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:18 pm

castalla wrote:Another problem?

I'm trying the firmware backup routine - this has started ... and again seems stuck on /boot/arm182_start.elf

I just unplugged the Pi power to stop.

Looks like another install is necessary!
That all has been tested! And I just did it again! It works! A arm182_start.elf does not exist. Are you sure your SD-Card does not have a problem? I just checked on two RPi's and it works fine! The only thing the backup-script does is packing some files from SD-Card to SD-Card. Did you choose overclocking on the RPi? Maybe you have an power issue?

castalla
Posts: 558
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:46 pm

Re: SqueezePlug Version 5 ready for download

Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:39 pm

No overclocking.

Never had previous power issues.

Can I just run rpi-update from the command line? That's what I did with the previous version.

User avatar
truehl
Posts: 642
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:47 pm
Contact: Website

Re: SqueezePlug Version 5 ready for download

Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:49 pm

Update to 5.01 available

This is a minor update which do not add any new functionality! Two files will be updated:
- lib.sh and
- expand_rootfs_2.disabled.

The script for setting up the music-library was a bit miss-understandable, so I made it a bit clearer! I've also added a hint in the script for expanding the RootFS, because this process lasts some times on large SD-Cards.

You can download and install this patch very simple by choosing the update option from the advanced options menu!

Have fun,
Thomas
Last edited by truehl on Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de

castalla
Posts: 558
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:46 pm

Re: SqueezePlug Version 5 ready for download

Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:00 pm

Hmmm .... sorry, but

The samba server music library setup - blank username and password - didn't work for my server which explicitly requires 'guest' in the mount command..

This is probably because it's a server run on my router and evidently has a default configuration which can't be modified.

Guess once I get it all up and running again, I'm not messing with any other features!

User avatar
truehl
Posts: 642
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:47 pm
Contact: Website

Re: SqueezePlug Version 5 ready for download

Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:00 pm

castalla wrote:No overclocking.

Never had previous power issues.

Can I just run rpi-update from the command line? That's what I did with the previous version.
You can do this, but I would not!
First: You should investigate your problem with the SD-Card, it's not normal that you get this errors if you try to backup some files. I think you will get a lot of problems later if you have an unstable system.
Second: rpi-update is possible from command line and from my scripts. But you should not use it if there is no need to do this. With rpi-update you will install unstable FW versions, may cause massive problems. If you do a "apt-get update" and a "apt-get upgrade", or choose the Debian update item of my menu you will be save. Before you do a rpi-update you should make an backup from FW but that fails for you!

Please be sure your RPi with card and Internet connection is working fine before you go ahead!
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de

User avatar
truehl
Posts: 642
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:47 pm
Contact: Website

Re: SqueezePlug Version 5 ready for download

Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:06 pm

castalla wrote:Hmmm .... sorry, but

The samba server music library setup - blank username and password - didn't work for my server which explicitly requires 'guest' in the mount command..

This is probably because it's a server run on my router and evidently has a default configuration which can't be modified.

Guess once I get it all up and running again, I'm not messing with any other features!
Than type in "guest" in username, where is the problem?

I hope our discussion is not boring for all the others here. I offer you to discuss special problems in an other way as in a public forum. We could figure out things and then post the results here for all the others!
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de

castalla
Posts: 558
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:46 pm

Re: SqueezePlug Version 5 ready for download

Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:12 pm

Too late - rpi-update done

If it's that dangerous then I'd suggest removing it from your options, or put in a warning!

Never had any issues with the card previously - it's a Toshiba class 10 (I think).

Anyway - just shows you what you can run into with naive users!

Return to “Media centres”