buhbyyy

Help Needed - Portable Raspberry PI 3 Plex Server and Access Point having trouble streaming

Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:21 pm

All,

I've done some searching, but can't find any threads that highlight the issue I've run into. I've setup a Plex Server on my Raspberry PI 3, as well as made it an access point. Everything appears to be working (I can access the Plex server via the access point), but video playback on my Android or iOS devices it flaky at best. The Android Plex app would give me a not enough power to playback error. My assumption was the files were too big and the little computer needed to transcode (which it can't do well, if at all). Just when I thought all hope was lost, I hooked it up to a portable router and low and behold it runs perfectly.

So now to my question. Any idea why Plex would have issues streaming videos when running as an access point too? It's definitely not CPU utilization as even when I get the playback error the CPU is below 20%. I'm hoping maybe someone else has run into this issue and has some suggestions, as I'd love to have this be a standalone player (without needing the external router).

topguy

Re: Help Needed - Portable Raspberry PI 3 Plex Server and Access Point having trouble streaming

Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:55 am

You might find that the bandwidth of your accesspoint is lacking. there is a tool called "iperf" that can be used to test raw transfer speed between two devices.
And there is an app for Android ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... apps.iperf ) for iperf.

fruitoftheloom

Re: Help Needed - Portable Raspberry PI 3 Plex Server and Access Point having trouble streaming

Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:31 pm

buhbyyy wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:21 pm
All,

I've done some searching, but can't find any threads that highlight the issue I've run into. I've setup a Plex Server on my Raspberry PI 3, as well as made it an access point. Everything appears to be working (I can access the Plex server via the access point), but video playback on my Android or iOS devices it flaky at best. The Android Plex app would give me a not enough power to playback error. My assumption was the files were too big and the little computer needed to transcode (which it can't do well, if at all). Just when I thought all hope was lost, I hooked it up to a portable router and low and behold it runs perfectly.

So now to my question. Any idea why Plex would have issues streaming videos when running as an access point too? It's definitely not CPU utilization as even when I get the playback error the CPU is below 20%. I'm hoping maybe someone else has run into this issue and has some suggestions, as I'd love to have this be a standalone player (without needing the external router).

Wireless Network Speed is not great compared to hard wired:

https://www.jeffgeerling.com/blogs/jeff ... networking
My only "PC" is an Asus ChromeBit running ChromeOS, cloudcentric at its best !
Rockchip Quad-Core RK3288C SoC as used in ASUS Chromebook C201 & Chromebook Flip C100PA as well as the Tinker SBC.
3 Mobile Huawei E5330 Mobile Mi-Fi

Return to “Media centres”