Chris D

Where to store media files...

Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:03 pm

Good afternoon,

I am curious where the best place is to play videos and music from?

I am using OMXplayer with the wrapper to play videos and music files. I suspect there is a better option between storing the files on the SD card or on a USB stick. Can someone give me some suggestions?

Chris D

k-pi

Re: Where to store media files...

Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:56 pm

I keep my main/bulky stuff on separate external media that I plug in when I need it, I keep the system disk as clean as possible.
(This way makes it easier when you come to update your system.)

johndavies

Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:01 pm

I would like to recommend that you follow k-pi's advice. SD cards are more likely to fail than USB memory sticks or USB HDs. I keep useful information e.g. how to install a hard disk, additions I have made to the Minimal Kiosk Browser, lists of radio station URLs, working VOD sites
in text files on a USB memory stick and back them up onto a hard disc. Nothing is more frustrating than failing to remember how to do something. I have a Seagate 2 TB hard disc which is powered by one of the Raspberry Pi 3's USB ports. If you have omxplayergui you can set up a menu which will play media files (music, radio stations, videos, saved TV and radio programmes etc) wherever they are stored on the Pi.

Chris D

Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:23 am

Thanks much for the responses and suggestions!

Will be taking your advice.

Chris D

Return to “Media centres”