Squatta

LibreElec on Berryboot pulling video from a Wi-Fi NAS

Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:06 pm

I was just looking for a bit of help and was wondering if it is possible to use the Raspberry PI 3 with kodi OSMC or LibreElec (preferred) setup on the Berryboot Bootloader and play videos from a NAS, which would be a 5TB Seagate attached directly to a gigabit wifi router via USB. I would be pulling large 1080p video files directly from the NAS over the WIFI to my PI. I have seen blogs discussing setting up caching on the PI to help with this, but am unsure of quite a few things:

I have read articles and have been unable to find if the internal wifi antenna would work for transferring that data and not fall victim to buffering/loading/latency.
    I don't want to have to keep moving my hdd, because my last Seagate got a short in the esata to usb converter, rendering it useless. I want to be able to access my 5TB Seagate from my 2 laptops, phone, Raspberry PI, and any other device I get in the future.

What are the potential bottlenecks if I have this type of setup? Would it be the HDD's filesystem? the router's USB speeds? the router (not sure why it would be, being gigabit, but I am not in IT)? The Raspberry PI's internal adapter? The cache on the PI? The Kodi flavor I choose? Settings in Kodi?

Is anyone able to help me?

drgeoff

Re: LibreElec on Berryboot pulling video from a Wi-Fi NAS

Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:19 pm

Squatta wrote:
    Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:06 pm
    I was just looking for a bit of help and was wondering if it is possible to use the Raspberry PI 3 with kodi OSMC or LibreElec (preferred) setup on the Berryboot Bootloader and play videos from a NAS, which would be a 5TB Seagate attached directly to a gigabit wifi router via USB.
    1. Yes it is possible.
    2. A NAS does not connect to anything via USB. If it connects via USB it is not a NAS, merely a USB drive.
    3. The biggest variable and the biggest unknown is the Wi-Fi. No-one except you can do more than guess how well it will perform in your individual conditions. Even you knowing what equipment you are using, how it is located, distances, intervening walls and objects, proximity of neighbours Wi-Fi etc will not be able to estimate accurately the achievable throughput. And just saying "1080p video" does not specify the bit rate needed.

Squatta

Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:33 pm

I know it is not a true NAS, it is technically an External HDD converted into Network Attached Storage unit, as it will not be directly connected to a computer and will be running directly from my router USB input. Do you have any ideas of how/where I can calculate potential throughput? Most files are 2GB and 2.5 hours long. I am just not sure if I would be buffering all of the time or if this setup would be worth it...
    The WI-FI should not be a problem, as there is little interference in my small town and the router will be within inches of the PI at all times (unless it causes interference). Safe to say though that it will not have any loss of gain/signal integrity. I just don't know if there is something that I am not seeing in this whole setup that could be an issue. I am willing to spend 200$ on a good router if I need to, but want to know if that is the only bottleneck first and how fast of a connection I need, since I will not be casting it to the PI and merely accessing files from the drive. I have plenty of cords in my house and wifi would be nice for managing this and allow me to connect my 2 computers, PI, and cellphones without filling my small apartment with Ethernet cords and have to buy a USB to Ethernet converter to make my HDD a faux NAS.
    Thanks

fruitoftheloom

Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:24 pm

Squatta wrote:
    Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:33 pm
    I know it is not a true NAS, it is technically an External HDD converted into Network Attached Storage unit, as it will not be directly connected to a computer and will be running directly from my router USB input. Do you have any ideas of how/where I can calculate potential throughput? Most files are 2GB and 2.5 hours long. I am just not sure if I would be buffering all of the time or if this setup would be worth it...
    The WI-FI should not be a problem, as there is little interference in my small town and the router will be within inches of the PI at all times (unless it causes interference). Safe to say though that it will not have any loss of gain/signal integrity. I just don't know if there is something that I am not seeing in this whole setup that could be an issue. I am willing to spend 200$ on a good router if I need to, but want to know if that is the only bottleneck first and how fast of a connection I need, since I will not be casting it to the PI and merely accessing files from the drive. I have plenty of cords in my house and wifi would be nice for managing this and allow me to connect my 2 computers, PI, and cellphones without filling my small apartment with Ethernet cords and have to buy a USB to Ethernet converter to make my HDD a faux NAS.
    Thanks
    http://kodi.wiki/view/Media_sources

The unknown Router is the USB Port USB 2 or 3 ?

You External Drive Caddy is it USB 2 or 3 ?

The unknown router is it WiFi G or N ?

A guide to network connection speed, see:

https://www.jeffgeerling.com/blogs/jeff ... networking

May I ask where the use of BerryBoot is required or necessary ??
    Retired disgracefully.....

Squatta

Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:17 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
    Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:24 pm
    http://kodi.wiki/view/Media_sources
    The unknown Router is the USB Port USB 2 or 3 ?
    You External Drive Caddy is it USB 2 or 3 ?
    The unknown router is it WiFi G or N ?
    A guide to network connection speed, see:
    https://www.jeffgeerling.com/blogs/jeff ... networking

May I ask where the use of BerryBoot is required or necessary ??

Berryboot is something I wouldn't want to part with, as it is a good alternative to using NOOBs or switching out SDs for each OS. I don't plan on streaming, as I don't have internet... yet. Berryboot's bootloader makes switching btw the 3 OS's easy and I want to be able to run all 3 (Kodi for playing movies from the HDD, Retropie for an Emulator, and Raspbian for tinkering with linux.

Sorry about the specs, I was actually just collecting them, because I figured that would be the next question. I am going to try that site you mentioned, to see if that calculator helps. I will take my specs there and see what it says, but, here are the specs anyways:

Seagate Backup Plus 5TB Desktop External Hard Drive USB 3.0 (STDT5000100):
    5000rpm-5800rpm (was not able to find a "for sure" answer)
    150-180MB/s Read

Archer C7 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router (AC1750)8 02.11ac
    USB 2.0
    2.4GHz at 91.3Mbps
    file FTP transfers benchmarked at 27.5MBps using the router's USB input, but I would just be using as a network drive, so don't think that matters. Not sure if it is required to use FTP or what the requirements are when setting it up this way. I believe I saw some info that you need to partition and set a bootsector or something.

PI:
    802.11n 2.4GHz at 75Mb/s

Is there any more info I should be looking for?

drgeoff

Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:02 pm

If the disk is USB connected to the router and the RPi is within inches of the router I'm left wondering why you are concerned about Wi-Fi performance.

Are there very good reasons why you won't either plug the disk into a USB port on the RPi or keep the disk plugged into the router and use an ethernet cable between router and RPi?

milhouse

Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:13 am

Please don't use Berryboot with LibreELEC, it is not a supported option. If you need a supported multi-boot solution with LibreELEC then use NOOBS. It may not be your preference but let me explain why.

The reason LibreELEC doesn't support Berryboot is because the kernel, device tree and firmware used by Berryboot is not the same versions provided (and supported) in official LibreELEC releases, and this introduces problems that are not present in official releases. LibreELEC is an embedded distribution tightly bound to the kernel, device tree and firmware it ships with, and Berryboot changes all of that by replacing these components usually with much older versions making support impossible, and introducing bugs or behaviours that are not reproducible with official releases.

Return to “Media centres”