Gaijinsan

Minimum power supply for a complete media centre

Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:29 pm

I've been testing many peripherals and hubs to make a stable raspbmc media centre and have come to the conclusion that the minimum power requirements needed for a system that uses a 4-port usb hub that powers the pi, a wireless dongle, keyboard/remote control (If needed) and a 2.5" external hard drive is a 5V 4A regulated power supply.
Anything less than this will result in the power being too weak and freezes in the software to occur.
Hope this helps. I'll be adding a bluetooth dongle into the mix to really test it out, and I'll report back on this thread in a couple of days.

ski522

Re: Minimum power supply for a complete media centre

Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:39 pm

4A seems like a lot of power to be pushing through the wire traces on the PI's PCB...it would be better to look for a USB Hub that has been designed to supply this kind of power instead.

Gaijinsan

Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:37 pm

I'm sorry I didn't mention that I'm using the power supply for the hub and powering the pi from said hub. Also I'm not powering the pi from the gpio pin. I'm using the micro USB power connector.
So it goes
Power supply -> hub ->pi and other peripherals

Lob0426

Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:37 pm

I have been having real good performance from a back-powered (power is supplied to the RasPi through the uplink port of the USB hub. 1 cable for power and data) setup.
4 port USB hub with 5V 2A power supply
Seagate 320GB HDD
Nippon Labs USB to SATA adapter with built-in "Y" cable
Linksys WUSB54GC WiFi
Logitech EX100 wireless (B) keyboard and mouse

PS-----HUB----RasPi

2A works just fine for me.
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

Return to “Media centres”