KrutavTRM

Make a RPI dvr shows for me and playback over-the-air shows on multiple devices for free.

Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:49 am

Hello,
I have an expensive cable subscription and i want to get rid of it by using the raspberry pi to play over-the-air-tv broadcasts on my tv and other devices. If it is possible, can i dvr the shows and stream from other devices? Do I need any other hardware besides raspberry pi?

Thank you in advance :D

mikerr

Re: Make a RPI dvr shows for me and playback over-the-air shows on multiple devices for free.

Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:18 am

Yes you can use the pi as a DVR using TVheadend and a usb TV tuner.

Either under raspbian or there is a module for us inside LibreElec/Kodi too
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

KrutavTRM

Re: Make a RPI dvr shows for me and playback over-the-air shows on multiple devices for free.

Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:32 am

hi , thank you for the reply.

So once i get a tv tuner and download plex media server on it, can i dvr the shows for free and watch it on my ipad and computer?

drgeoff

Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:18 am

KrutavTRM wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:32 am
hi , thank you for the reply.

So once i get a tv tuner and download plex media server on it, can i dvr the shows for free and watch it on my ipad and computer?
TV tuners get their input signal for "over-the-air-tv broadcasts" (your words) from an aerial (maybe 'antenna' in your language). Some tuners come with a very small indoor one which might work if you can see the TV transmitter from your window. Otherwise you will need a decent aerial, maybe even an external one on your roof.

Return to “Media centres”