drmouse

RaspBMC Video Scaling

Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:47 am

Hi

I've finally got my media play set up this morning. Lots of faffing around with remotes and SCART connections, but it is now hooked up and running. YAY! :D

I do have one small issue: The videos don't scale correctly. When playing a video, they sit in the middle of the screen, scaled down from what I would expect (using approx 50% of the screen) and no playing with scaling controls changed that. I didn't have time to go through everything, but it wasn't working as I would expect.

In addition, I imaged the SD a few weeks ago, and I see that RC5 has been released since. Is there a way to upgrade without reimaging? I also can't find the Pi-specific settings menu I have seen talked about elsewhere.

Really I don't have to reimage. It's all nicely built up now, and I will have to dismantle to get the card out.

ski522

Re: RaspBMC Video Scaling

Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:14 pm

Check your video settings in the System Setting screen...the resolution you're running at might be incorrect versus what your TV is actually capable of displaying. Mine initially got set to 1024x768, but my TV actually uses 1280x720.

drmouse

Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:42 pm

I will have a look at that. However, I am using composite video out, not HDMI, with sdtv_mode=2, and when I had a quick flick through the settings this morning it looked like the correct res.

drmouse

Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:35 am

OK, I got this working (ish). I flashed RC5 (on a new SD) and now it scales the video correctly.

I now have a new problem. When playing a video (from my network) it takes a long time to load. During this time, the audio starts before the video. Not a big problem, I've had it before on other systems, but with RaspBMC the video doesn't "catch up", it just stays out of sync. This is the case for every video I have tried, and seeking doesn't help. On every other system I have used, either the video would catch up with the audio, the audio would pause while the video caught up, or seeking would get things back in sync.

In addition to this, the UI is very slow. I am not complaining about this, I know the Pi's limitations. However, I am looking for recommendations for a light-weight skin, and preferably one more optimised for SD resolutions (with larger/more readable fonts). I have tried a few, but they are all fairly resource hungry and are all optimised for at least 720p. Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance

numanoids

Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:26 am

At risk of bringing on the ire of the Raspbmc crowd (i did try it, unfortunately way too sluggish for me, may go back once issues ironed out) - have you tried xbian? I installed 0.8 and then ran the update to 0.8.1 beta and I've found XBMC to be very snappy now. Not sure if it would resolve your scaling issues as I'm running over HDMI but it may go somewhat to alleviate your interface experience.

The beauty of the Pi is with a few cards you can easily chop and change to suit yourself and even export your .xbmc folder (or back it up using XBMC backup) and restore it to your other installations so no need for constant scanning/rescanning of libraries.

drmouse

Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:43 pm

I don't know exactly how/why, but after a new re-imaging it all works as expected (except for the annoying double-press lirc issue noted elsewhere). Happily used for a couple of hours to watch Andromeda while the other half was watching X-Factor.

Next step: setup a mysql library so I can share it with my Windows box. I may also look into making my SCART switcher into an addon and allow it to auto-switch the aspect on the TV. A new skin would also be nice, tried all the ones available in the default repo and they are terrible for my old CRT TV.

sam nazarko

Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:20 pm

Hi guys

Remember that XBian and OpenELEC are capping their resolutions at 720p and upscaling to 1080p to get 60fps. This is why Raspbmc may seem slower in UI. Nonetheless, playback should be pretty even across all platforms

jaromanda

Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:40 am

sam nazarko wrote:Hi guys

Remember that XBian and OpenELEC are capping their resolutions at 720p and upscaling to 1080p to get 60fps. This is why Raspbmc may seem slower in UI. Nonetheless, playback should be pretty even across all platforms
why does standard raspbmc config overclock the Pi to 840, with force_turbo=1?
I now own 2 RPi - does that mean I own a circumference?

Return to “Media centres”