apetty0414

Samsung Universal Remote CEC with RPi3 OSMC

Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:39 am

First, a little overview. I currently am using my raspberry pi 3 as a media center for my Samsung 55" curved 4k smart TV (Model number: UN55MU6500FXZA). The TV comes with a "universal remote" that works as a CEC remote for most devices. I have the raspberry pi connected to the TV in the HDMI ARC port. When switching to the HDMI port the tv scans for connected devices automatically then asks for the Universal Remote setup witch allows you to use the TV's remote to control devices such as Set-top boxes, Home Theater Systems, OTT Box/ Game Console, or a Blu-ray player. My question is, when setting up the RPi which type of device do I select since a Raspberry Pi is not an option.

I attempted to use the "device type" of (OTT Box/Game Console) and when using that option it asks for you to select a Brand. The different Brands include the following:
-Apple -Netgear -Minix -Xiaomi
-Roku -D-Link -Fantec -BSkyB
-Xbox -Asus -Boxee -A.C.Ryan
-Western Digital -Popcorn Hour -Iomega

I want to get the most amount of control from my universal remote for the RPi 3 OSMC media center that I can. Thank you for your help and I hope this helps me as well as others with the similar problem.

drgeoff

Re: Samsung Universal Remote CEC with RPi3 OSMC

Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:51 pm

I think you are confused. :(

CEC has standardised 'codes'. Play, stop, up, down etc are the same for all CEC devices. You don't need to specify what make and model of device you want to control.

You DO need to specify make and model when you need to control it by IR. My Samsung TVs came with a little 'puck' which plugs in to the back of the TV. Place it where its IR beam can be seen by the device(s) you want to control. Then use Universal Remote setup to program the TV to send the requisite electrical codes to the puck.

I have used RPi/OSMC with one of my Samsung TVs. CEC works. The Universal Remote Setup is irrelevant for that.

apetty0414

Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:22 am

So I got the CEC remote to work with the Samsung Universal Remote (Model A07-10200 "Smart Controller" which is Bluetooth not IR that came with the TV) by literally doing nothing. The question that I was confused about that I still do not have a way to setup is through the TV its self. The TV is a 55" 4k Curved Smart TV 2017, it detects devices that are connected to it. Through this process it gives you options to setup so the remote can utilize more of its capabilities (ex. voice control). I am trying to go through that setup process and the different devices listed for setup does not list Raspberry Pi or OSMC/Kodi. There are many different devices such as Xbox or Apple TV or Roku. Since this does not give you the option for Raspberry Pi, I was hoping someone on has had experience with this and has another way such as selecting a similar device to tell the TV what is connected and for Remote features. Since basic CEC features are working I am happy, but I would like to complete the setup. Any experiences with this TV would be excellent. Thank you for your quick response though!!!
drgeoff wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:51 pm
I think you are confused. :(

CEC has standardised 'codes'. Play, stop, up, down etc are the same for all CEC devices. You don't need to specify what make and model of device you want to control.

You DO need to specify make and model when you need to control it by IR. My Samsung TVs came with a little 'puck' which plugs in to the back of the TV. Place it where its IR beam can be seen by the device(s) you want to control. Then use Universal Remote setup to program the TV to send the requisite electrical codes to the puck.

I have used RPi/OSMC with one of my Samsung TVs. CEC works. The Universal Remote Setup is irrelevant for that.

CroppedBee

Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:39 pm

apetty0414 wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:22 am
So I got the CEC remote to work with the Samsung Universal Remote (Model A07-10200 "Smart Controller" which is Bluetooth not IR that came with the TV) by literally doing nothing. The question that I was confused about that I still do not have a way to setup is through the TV its self. The TV is a 55" 4k Curved Smart TV 2017, it detects devices that are connected to it. Through this process it gives you options to setup so the remote can utilize more of its capabilities (ex. voice control). I am trying to go through that setup process and the different devices listed for setup does not list Raspberry Pi or OSMC/Kodi. There are many different devices such as Xbox or Apple TV or Roku. Since this does not give you the option for Raspberry Pi, I was hoping someone on has had experience with this and has another way such as selecting a similar device to tell the TV what is connected and for Remote features. Since basic CEC features are working I am happy, but I would like to complete the setup. Any experiences with this TV would be excellent. Thank you for your quick response though!!!
I have the same question. It seems I need to fake the Samsung TV into thinking the RPi is a "device". There's no other way I can get the Samsung remote to adjust my external A/V system's volume otherwise.

I tested all of the available options listed by the Samsung tv under "OTT box/game console" and none of them seem to use CEC.

drgeoff

Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:03 pm

It seems you do not have a complete understanding of my post above and the difference between CEC and Samsung Universal Remote.

cnschulz

Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:44 am

Hi,

I have this problem too. The TV only allows for a set number of device types. It allows you to test each device but none of them seem to work with KODI. Has anyone got this to work with samsung uhd tv's?

drgeoff

Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:09 am

cnschulz wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:44 am
Hi,

I have this problem too. The TV only allows for a set number of device types. It allows you to test each device but none of them seem to work with KODI. Has anyone got this to work with samsung uhd tv's?
If by "same problem" you mean that you are trying to find the correct "device type" for the Universal Remote setup, then you are just as confused as the OP!

I don't have a UHD TV but have no problem using the Samsung Remote of my Samsung TV to navigate the OSMC menus. No setup needed other than ensuring CEC is enabled on TV and OSMC. If all else fails try another HDMI cable.

CroppedBee

Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:04 am

The part you my be confused about, drgeoff, is not actually related to CEC but rather is a peculiarity of Samsung’s setup. You can’t control an AV system with the Samsung remote without telling the Samsung tv that you have a device and that you should be using your AV system with that particular device. Best I can tell, you can’t use the Samsung remote with the raspberry pi and Kodi if you have an external AV system. It sucks. I had to buy a conventional universal remote because of this Samsung limitation.

drgeoff

Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:36 am

CroppedBee wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:04 am
The part you my be confused about, drgeoff, is not actually related to CEC but rather is a peculiarity of Samsung’s setup. You can’t control an AV system with the Samsung remote without telling the Samsung tv that you have a device and that you should be using your AV system with that particular device. Best I can tell, you can’t use the Samsung remote with the raspberry pi and Kodi if you have an external AV system. It sucks. I had to buy a conventional universal remote because of this Samsung limitation.
It is not a Samsung TV limitation. It is a failing of the AV system.

https://longair.net/blog/2016/10/09/a-s ... s-through/

Johanflory

Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:44 pm

Hi, all i fixt iT on my Samsung 2018 model, put in the pi3 and kodi in the arc slot of the tv. Do not create a profil just leave iT to unknown and that work 8-) my remote of my Samsung works now in kodi. 8-) 8-)

drgeoff

Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:36 pm

Johanflor3y wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:44 pm
Hi, all i fixt iT on my Samsung 2018 model, put in the pi3 and kodi in the arc slot of the tv. Do not create a profil just leave iT to unknown and that work 8-) my remote of my Samsung works now in kodi. 8-) 8-)
Using the ARC equipped HDMI socket is not essential.

Return to “Media centres”