GordsM8

Sonos alternative system

Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:56 am

I have spent quite a few hours searching Google for ideas ... and hardware-wise I think it's relatively simple (e.g. Pi 3 + HifiBerry + speakers). It is the software side of things that I am struggling with.

While on holiday recently, we were spoilt with the use of a Sonos system. We all enjoyed adding our individual Apple Music accounts and adding music to the queue. As a family we have both iPhones and Android phones and the Sonos app was available for both and it worked great (although we did have a few discussions over using "play later" rather than "play now"!).

So, is there a software solution, for the Pi, that gives the same sort of functionality? The ability to send music to one or multiple or different speakers? The ability to control / add music from a phone app (I guess a web page would be a possible alternative). The ability for multiple people to add to the same queue?

Of course, free would be great, but I wouldn't mind having to spend some money to get a really good solution.

baz-r

Re: Sonos alternative system

Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:21 am

i too am looking for something similar but to replace my Squeezebox or slimserver music streaming system as logitech have now stopped making them and support by 3rd parties such as spotify has stopped

i have 2 pi zero w's with dac+amp hats and a pi3 that can connect to my amp over hdmi (was used as a retropie project)

i would like to have no pc on all the time and both the zero's dumb (just audio out) and have the pi3 possibly serve the files but its impotent for me to have all playing in sync like my squeezebox can (and sonos can do) and happy to have a android phone or tablet act as the control

Toonie

Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:16 pm

I would definitely recommend trying out PiCorePlayer!

https://sites.google.com/site/picoreplayer/home

It can turn a Pi into a Squeeze player (using Squeeze-lite), a server (using Logitech Media Server, which is still being developed), or both (for an all in one solution). It can mount USB drives for music storage, and can mount Samba network shares, and can even run as a Samba server allowing uploading of new music from a PC. I've found this easy to set-up and use, and seems reliable.

Regards,
Toonie.

MarkMutt

Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:31 am

Hi,
I use max2play (Google it)
Rather than repeat my comments please look at viewtopic.php?f=63&t=191943&p=1211990#p1211990
Any questions or issues, post back to this thread
Cheers
Mutt
Spent 20 years bashing at keyboards, all I get is broken keys ;-)

Return to “Media centres”