surfrock66

Thoughts on a car-based dual-screen media player?

Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:06 am

I have a Pi3 with a OSOYOO 3.5 Inches LCD Touch screen ( https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1 ) and am looking to create sort of a dual-screen media center for my car.

My car has built-in screens in the roof for the back-seats for the kids, and it has a built-in dvd player, and composite inputs. I am hoping to use the pi streaming to the composite inputs (so I can do long playlists on long drives instead of constantly swapping or burning dvds) but keep the actual pi and bolted-on lcd up front so my wife and I have control of play/pause and video selection. There is no good way to see the screens in the back from the front seat, so traditional mouse/keyboard input would be useless, and the bolted-on LCD has too low of resolution to be reasonable to mirror.

I have some thoughts on how to do this, and I haven't seen a similar project, but want to know if there's another way. I heavily use awesomewm and am very familiar with building rules to control what windows go on what screen. I was gonna set the whole thing up like a xinerama X session with 2 screens, the composite screen and the touch screen, then use vlc with a separate control window to play the media. I don't know if that's gonna work well or not, but I'm proceeding.

Would anyone do something substantially different to accomplish the same goal?

fruitoftheloom

Re: Thoughts on a car-based dual-screen media player?

Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:02 pm

surfrock66 wrote:I have a Pi3 with a OSOYOO 3.5 Inches LCD Touch screen ( https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1 ) and am looking to create sort of a dual-screen media center for my car.

My car has built-in screens in the roof for the back-seats for the kids, and it has a built-in dvd player, and composite inputs. I am hoping to use the pi streaming to the composite inputs (so I can do long playlists on long drives instead of constantly swapping or burning dvds) but keep the actual pi and bolted-on lcd up front so my wife and I have control of play/pause and video selection. There is no good way to see the screens in the back from the front seat, so traditional mouse/keyboard input would be useless, and the bolted-on LCD has too low of resolution to be reasonable to mirror.

I have some thoughts on how to do this, and I haven't seen a similar project, but want to know if there's another way. I heavily use awesomewm and am very familiar with building rules to control what windows go on what screen. I was gonna set the whole thing up like a xinerama X session with 2 screens, the composite screen and the touch screen, then use vlc with a separate control window to play the media. I don't know if that's gonna work well or not, but I'm proceeding.

Would anyone do something substantially different to accomplish the same goal?
AFAIAA using Dual Screens is limited, there are several posts in this forums, they mainly deal with either HDMi & GPIO or HDMi & Official Screen.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?lr=&hl= ... GeZEsqNtOQ
Adieu

surfrock66

Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:54 pm

I got the dual screen thing working on a pi1 with a 3.2 inch waveshark screen, but it was too slow for video.

Gavinmc42

Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:50 am

Have a headless Pi (2 or 3) streaming to TV output and maybe buffer that for the back screens.
The Headless Pi could be controlled from a Zero with touch screen up front?
Good with code? use a Pi3 and Zero W via WiFi or BT.
Or even Smart phone to select/control the streaming.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

luciodeep

Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:14 am

Take a look here!
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=216399&start=225

It'll be possible have two framebuffers on raspbian soon.
If you reach your goal, i'd like to know more about the project: i'm looking for a similar solution for my car

Return to “Media centres”