truehl

Re: Headless Squeezeplay on RPI

Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:47 am

Gordian2 wrote:you can alternatively download and try an image we have created for Raspberry, using Raspbian, LMS and Squeezeplay.

[mod deleted link]

BTW, tried to contact Thomas weeks ago to share our work but got no reply
Send a PM to you!
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de

truehl

Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:59 am

Gordian2 wrote:you can alternatively download and try an image we have created for Raspberry, using Raspbian, LMS and Squeezeplay.

[mod deleted link]

I yust saw that your are new to the forum so you can not read PMs I fear! So I post it open, because it's urgent:

I have not seen, that you want to contact me, sorry if I have missed something. I would like to share my project with some other very much!

One quick hint: You should not share an image with pre-installed LMS. This contains firmware for the players not owned by Logitech and only Logitech is allowed to distribute! I would like to talk to you, maybe over Skye or so!
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de

Gordian2

Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:02 am

PMs are ok even if you are new :) Sent you my email

Robbe

Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:30 pm

[Mod deleted link at posters request]

Hi Gordian2,

I downloaded your image, thank you for that!
One question: what login and password do i need to use to log-in to the image?

Thanks!

mba

Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:52 pm

truehl wrote:O.K. got it working with the very friendly help of MBA. But there are some issues:
1. Sound get's stuttering after a few minutes (internal analogue output)
2. How to configure it without a monitor connected on first start?
3. How can I start it on system boot?
4. How can I run it in background?
5. How can I shut it down and how can I restart?

By the way, the video output from SqueezePlay without X installed looks great.

And one other information: SqueezePlay is under BSD license, so we are free to use, change and distribute it! If the problems could be fixed, RPI with a touch screen could be a great SqueezeBox player!

Have fun,
Thomas
2. All configuration is stored in ~/.squeezeplay/settings/*.lua files after doing the setup in the UI, I guess it will be possible to generate the content of these files based on user input in a setup environment like the one SqueezePlug starts with. The info stored in the files are language, mac- and ip address.
5a. Starting it through xvfb-run it is possible to kill and restart it from the commandline. It will not suffer from the problem that it cannot be restarted as it does if started normally without xvfb-run where SDL is keeping the framebuffer open (or something).
5b. When starting it normally without xvfb-run (I guess you have a display) you can just navigate to the 'Quit' item in the menu.

The major problem is the dropouts in audio. I have narrowed it down to a snd_pcm_wait call that doesn't seem to return before the timeout elapses. But I need someone with insight into the bcm2835 alsa driver to debug the problem further.
AMOTE - a LIRC client for Android. Build your own Android-based universal remote.

t1ger

Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:32 pm

mba wrote:
truehl wrote:O.K. got it working with the very friendly help of MBA. But there are some issues:
1. Sound get's stuttering after a few minutes (internal analogue output)
2. How to configure it without a monitor connected on first start?
3. How can I start it on system boot?
4. How can I run it in background?
5. How can I shut it down and how can I restart?

By the way, the video output from SqueezePlay without X installed looks great.

And one other information: SqueezePlay is under BSD license, so we are free to use, change and distribute it! If the problems could be fixed, RPI with a touch screen could be a great SqueezeBox player!

Have fun,
Thomas
2. All configuration is stored in ~/.squeezeplay/settings/*.lua files after doing the setup in the UI, I guess it will be possible to generate the content of these files based on user input in a setup environment like the one SqueezePlug starts with. The info stored in the files are language, mac- and ip address.
5a. Starting it through xvfb-run it is possible to kill and restart it from the commandline. It will not suffer from the problem that it cannot be restarted as it does if started normally without xvfb-run where SDL is keeping the framebuffer open (or something).
5b. When starting it normally without xvfb-run (I guess you have a display) you can just navigate to the 'Quit' item in the menu.

The major problem is the dropouts in audio. I have narrowed it down to a snd_pcm_wait call that doesn't seem to return before the timeout elapses. But I need someone with insight into the bcm2835 alsa driver to debug the problem further.
It would be fairly easy to create a script (xvfb-run) to start stop restart
based on "ps -A, kill xx" and pu it in /etc/init.d/squeezeplay
like you say MBA

And I do recommend to buy a pcm2704 based usb dac it cost about 15$ ibcluding shipping on ebay.

The built in sound is only using 11 bits, it is quite bad sound quality.

mba

Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:28 pm

For my primary setup I'm using HDMI so no degradation of quality there. Even for my secondary project building a kitchen RPi based Squeezeplayer radio should the builtin analog audio do just fine.
AMOTE - a LIRC client for Android. Build your own Android-based universal remote.

Gordian2

Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:41 am

Robbe wrote:

[Mod deleted link at posters request]

Hi Gordian2,

I downloaded your image, thank you for that!
One question: what login and password do i need to use to log-in to the image?

Thanks!
Hi
Sorry for my late reply
login : pi
pw : root

Cheers

Robbe

Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:26 am

Gordian2 wrote: Hi
Sorry for my late reply
login : pi
pw : root

Cheers
Thanks! :-)
So how do i start squeezeplay with this image? I can't find the executable..

Gordian2

Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:36 am

Hi,

for test : /opt/squeezeplay/bin/squeezeplay.sh
for real : /opt/squeezeplay/bin/squeezeplay.sh &

the difference is that you can close your ssh window with the second one

you might need to change to your IP adress in there :
~/.squeezeplay/userpath/settings/Playback.lua
to see your Squeezeplay in your LMS

keep us posted !

Gordian2

Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:23 am

any news Robbe ?

sbp

Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:13 pm

Hi Gordian 2

I tried to use your large rasp-logitech image.

It is starting fine, the Logitech Media Server (LMS) is starting fine, however, Squeezeplay is not starting - and trying to start it via SSH by this command results in:
pi@raspberrypi ~ $ /opt/squeezeplay/bin/squeezeplay.sh
xvfb-run: error: Xvfb failed to start

Regards
piCorePlayer webpage: https://sites.google.com/site/picoreplayer/home

Gordian2

Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:55 am

Hi sbp,

Try just to reboot it

Robbe

Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:10 pm

Gordian2 wrote:any news Robbe ?
Hi Gordian2,

I still have to try it, I am moving to another house so I didn't have the time yet to try it.. but I have a good feeling about it! :-)
As soon as I find the time to try it, I'll let you know!

t1ger

Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:14 pm

sbp wrote:Hi Gordian 2

I tried to use your large rasp-logitech image.

It is starting fine, the Logitech Media Server (LMS) is starting fine, however, Squeezeplay is not starting - and trying to start it via SSH by this command results in:
pi@raspberrypi ~ $ /opt/squeezeplay/bin/squeezeplay.sh
xvfb-run: error: Xvfb failed to start

Regards
In squeezeplay.sh is there a -a after xvfb-run
xvfb-run -a ./jive

mba

Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:57 pm

With the latest firmware I have now played flawless internet radio for 5+ hours using the following /etc/asound.conf

Code: Select all

pcm.!default {
  type hw
  card 0
}
No stutter and no freezes.

t1ger

Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:36 pm

Hi
Has anyone figured out how to add libspotify to squeezeplay (not to LMS)
I have added the libspotify to /usr/lib but when squeezeplay start the log output says that spotify is disable. I have also tryid libspotify v6 that runns on squeezebox radio.

I have spotify running on the LMS so i have spotify support, but it would be nice to have it in the squeezeplay app to.

mba

Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:31 pm

t1ger wrote:Hi
I have added the libspotify to /usr/lib but when squeezeplay start the log output says that spotify is disable. I have also tryid libspotify v6 that runns on squeezebox radio.

I have spotify running on the LMS so i have spotify support, but it would be nice to have it in the squeezeplay app to.
You can follow some of the spotify-related steps in my previous post here.

t1ger

Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:48 pm

mba wrote:

Hi the Triode uses the LMS for handling spotify.
The Logitech spotify support uses the squeezeplay for playback of spotify.

If the libspotify is not working during squeezeplay start you will have this message

audio.decode - SpotifyMeta.lua:27 Spotify decoder not available, disabling Spotify support

If squeezeplay recognize the lib the Logitech official app will work.

On the squeezebox radio libspotify.so.6 is located in /usr/lib

the libspotify for armel is found here

https://developer.spotify.com/technolog ... /#download
use eabi-armv6t

mba

Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:00 pm

t1ger wrote:
mba wrote:

Hi the Triode uses the LMS for handling spotify.
The Logitech spotify support uses the squeezeplay for playback of spotify.

If the libspotify is not working during squeezeplay start you will have this message

audio.decode - SpotifyMeta.lua:27 Spotify decoder not available, disabling Spotify support

If squeezeplay recognize the lib the Logitech official app will work.

On the squeezebox radio libspotify.so.6 is located in /usr/lib

the libspotify for armel is found here

https://developer.spotify.com/technolog ... /#download
use eabi-armv6t
As far as I know the official Spotify plugin only supports the SqueezeBox radio and Touch. The third party plugin by Triode works on SqueezePlay and other players as well.

pbattino

Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:59 am

mba wrote:
As far as I know the official Spotify plugin only supports the SqueezeBox radio and Touch. The third party plugin by Triode works on SqueezePlay and other players as well.
it works, but only on a "soft-float" (armel) Debian, not on the latest hard-float. AFAIK, there is no way of having the plug-in by Triode working on a hard-float distro, simply because there's no libspotify compiled for Arm hard-float. The guys at Spotify are not really helpful on that.

PS: I have tried that setting (SqueezePlay + spotify) on a soft-float and was not really happy: sound often choppy as if the RPI was too busy, even if there was nothing else running and no X running. I abandoned that solution.

Return to “Media centres”