SamDoesPi

How to legally get movies on Kodi? Also how to Kodi Krypton?

Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:03 pm

How can I legally get movies on Kodi. LEGALLY as I do not want to break the law, but I think a media centre would be cool, without spending hundreds *cough cough* apple tv *cough cough*. Also, how do I install Kodi Krypton on the Pi? I love the new skin.
Side note, I'm in the UK, and I can't rip movies

mikerr

Re: How to legally get movies on Kodi? Also how to Kodi Kryp

Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:18 pm

Legally?

Buy a TV tuner, install TV headend and record films...
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

mattmiller

Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:34 pm

Pretty much any commercially available movie is illegal to copy from its original medium (DVD/Blu-rAY/vhs etc) to anything else (inc a Kodi based player)

DougieLawson

Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:04 pm

mattmiller wrote:Pretty much any commercially available movie is illegal to copy from its original medium (DVD/Blu-rAY/vhs etc) to anything else (inc a Kodi based player)
Is that true if Kodi is just being used to play the licenced media rather than rip it and share it in a torrent? That's "fair use" and a "backup copy" to my way of thinking.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

mattmiller

Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:51 pm

Pretty much any commercially available movie is illegal to copy from its original medium
I'll stick with the above -I've never seen a film DVD etc that comes with a licence to rip it /copy it for any reason at all

mikerr

Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:12 pm

In the UK it was briefly legal to make a copy (rip) of your own DVD for your own use

Not since 2015 though:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/3 ... ns-new-law

If you attach a DVD drive you can play discs directly in kodi:
http://raspi.tv/2012/watch-encrypted-dv ... -omxplayer
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

bensimmo

Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:45 pm

mattmiller wrote:
Pretty much any commercially available movie is illegal to copy from its original medium
I'll stick with the above -I've never seen a film DVD etc that comes with a licence to rip it /copy it for any reason at all
I don't believe it needs to in the UK, unless there has been new laws passed since the last time I read a discussion on this (many moons ago). UK laws would supercede.

Still streaming services, UltraViolet, iPlayer a are all legal if you have the right to use them.

Edit: see above....

But streaming them is an alternative. Or just good old fashioned DVD drive or Blu-ray from something else.

DougieLawson

Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:48 pm

mikerr wrote: Not since 2015 though:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/3 ... ns-new-law
You'll just need to wire up a kill switch to wipe everything clean when Her Majesty's Copyright Police arrive on your door step.
There are so many laws that are completely un-enforceable and yet our Gov't keeps wasting their time enacting them. I'd like them to introduce laws and spend my tax money on things that might make a difference (like getting the very rich and their large corporations to pay their fair share).

Those sorts of laws are made a mockery by the likes of Netflix, Sky, Virgin and Amazon - how is what they do with media that they don't own any more or less legal?
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Douglas6

Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:03 pm

DougieLawson wrote:Those sorts of laws are made a mockery by the likes of Netflix, Sky, Virgin and Amazon - how is what they do with media that they don't own any more or less legal?
You surely don't mean to imply that Netflix, Amazon and the like don't pay licensing fees for content they don't own?

DougieLawson

Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:16 pm

Douglas6 wrote:
DougieLawson wrote:Those sorts of laws are made a mockery by the likes of Netflix, Sky, Virgin and Amazon - how is what they do with media that they don't own any more or less legal?
You surely don't mean to imply that Netflix, Amazon and the like don't pay licensing fees for content they don't own?
They don't pay the same as the end user (and in some cases haven't paid the artists their dues) yet they're allowed to store and "torrent" content. It's all a mixed up mess run by Disney, the MPAA and the RIAA.

asandford

Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:55 am

DougieLawson wrote: They don't pay the same as the end user (and in some cases haven't paid the artists their dues) yet they're allowed to store and "torrent" content. It's all a mixed up mess run by Disney, the MPAA and the RIAA.
Expect a knock at the door sometime soon.

2badmice

Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:19 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
Douglas6 wrote:
They don't pay the same as the end user (and in some cases haven't paid the artists their dues) yet they're allowed to store and "torrent" content. It's all a mixed-up mess run by Disney, the MPAA and the RIAA.

You're not wrong either, sauce for the goose should be sauce for the gander, surely?

But no, the little man in the street is an easier target than the huge corporation who's not even paying his fair share
Pi Noob, please be gentle

Return to “Media centres”