mistersprinkles

LibreELEC chrome launcher Qs

Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:46 pm

I have tried to use the chrome launcher as well as chromium (I downloaded it to LibreELEC) in LibreELEC KODI but I can't get them to launch. I was hoping to use them as a netflix solution as well as a youtube solution where I dont have to keep verifying my account.

Can anybody help me get a web browser running through LibreELEC? Is what I want to do even possible?

Thanks! :D

fruitoftheloom

Re: LibreELEC chrome launcher Qs

Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:33 pm

mistersprinkles wrote:I have tried to use the chrome launcher as well as chromium (I downloaded it to LibreELEC) in LibreELEC KODI but I can't get them to launch. I was hoping to use them as a netflix solution as well as a youtube solution where I dont have to keep verifying my account.

Can anybody help me get a web browser running through LibreELEC? Is what I want to do even possible?

Thanks! :D
OpenElec / LibreElec have no facility to install software like one does on Raspbian, any extra software is by means of KODI Add-ons only and those add-ons must be suitable for the Raspberry Pi versions of thos Operating System.

I am not sure of the status of OSMC, but that uses Debian Linux as its base Operating System: https://osmc.tv
Adieu

JoeSixpack

Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:43 pm

OpenElec / LibreElec have no facility to install software like one does on Raspbian, any extra software is by means of KODI Add-ons only and those add-ons must be suitable for the Raspberry Pi versions of thos Operating System.
Ok, now I'm wondering what the advantage to using LibreELEC over Raspbian or other stripped down versions of Debian is. It would appear that without access to a browser (Chrome or something compatible with the plugins) a large part of the functionality I desire is not possible. I can't access my Amazon prime videos, Netflix, or Youtube (Other than You Tube music which appears to work fine).

I have been fighting trying to get these to work for weeks now, and it appears that I'll not have a solution with Open/Libre-ELEC.

If I'm wrong about this, or someone can share an answer with me that actually works, I'll certainly eat crow and smile that it works as I had originally envisioned. Otherwise, I'm going to try Raspbian or whatever the other Pi media centers are using.

-Truly Bummed

HiassofT

Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:34 pm

LibreELEC is designed to work as an appliance. Copy it to an SD card and use Kodi without having to know there's an OS underneath it.

You can install a lot of different programs via addons (from within kodi), if the one you want isn't there you can install the docker addon and get bascially anything running on it via docker containers.

Kodi 18, which is currently under development, supports playing Netflix and Amazon via addons. I've been using preview builds of the next LibreELEC version to view Netflix for over half a year now.

So, wait a bit until Kodi 18 / LibreELEC 9 are out or if you are brave jump on the development testing train and use it now (but beware, there can be bugs).

so long,

Hias

Return to “Media centres”