raindog308

Turning a TV into photo/internet info display...software?

Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:38 pm

I plan to take a R Pi and connect it to an HDMI TV for a wall-mounted home display, featuring:

- home photos/videos
- internet info (sports score, weather, etc.)
- lots of home content (favorite quotes, countdowns to birthdays, etc.)

I envision a 1920x1080 display with different layouts. Each layout would have multiple rectangles, into which random pictures, Internet-gathered info, etc. are placed. There would be a loop that picks a layout, populates it, displays it, and then replaces it after X seconds.

I'm wondering what the best software for this is? It's "kiosk" but each screen is kind of a collage.

I was thinking perhaps something like PyGame? My only concern is getting Internet data and having to layout fonts, etc...as opposed to just saying plopping HTML into something. A lot of the "photo frame" project pages I've seen just do an "fbi *.jpg" which is different.

I'm not worried about the custom software aspect and am quite comfortable in Python, C, etc. But it's also mid-October and I need to have this done by Christmas :lol:

Planning on doing this on a RPi 3 if that matters, but my core question is around what software to build on.

peterlite

Re: Turning a TV into photo/internet info display...software

Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:18 pm

Kiosk mode is when the user is locked into one application which might be a Web browser. The application could be a windows manager or something in Python. Do you want to stop the user taking control? When happens when someone visits a site that requires a login?

stderr

Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:20 pm

raindog308 wrote: A lot of the "photo frame" project pages I've seen just do an "fbi *.jpg" which is different.
Not if you create the jpg image to look like whatever you think the display should look like at that instant.

gkreidl

Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:28 am

Use a browser in kiosk mode and create a number of local html files. It might require a little bit of Javascript.
Internet content can be included in frames or iframes.
The kweb suite might be the ideal solution, but it can be done with most other browsers as well.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

jasmeu

Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:16 pm

Just wanted to post my blog: http://www.jasm.eu/2016/12/18/wallfx-ja ... pberry-pi/ and I saw you question; It appears my blog might be a (late) answer to your question, right ?

Return to “Media centres”