cesarvog

Re: OpenELEC vs Raspbmc vs Xbian

Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:59 pm

j0nnymoe wrote:Well, I have gone one step further than your right thing do and just deleted the posts completely.
Good, one step in the right direction.

rey

Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:03 pm

Hey, look what I started!

Diaoul

Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:11 pm

A little background first. I work on a Debian packaging suite to have XBMC shipped in .deb files to install it over an existing Raspbian image. Source code is available here with instructions in the README. No fancy stuff, I do not claim that I have the best XBMC binary. It is based on upstream's packaging suite and Open Source so everybody can contribute. It is currently broken because it requires some newer versions of existing Debian packages (taglib, libcec, etc.). That'll be added to the suite when I got the time.

In the process of making such a tool, I've discussed with Sam and looked into the code, I've also asked a few questions about XBian in its dedicated topic but got very light answers from Koenkk.
Rather than opening the source code so the community can gather, XBian makes it impossible to contribute and closed source.
That's why I cannot recommend XBian.

About OpenELEC, I want to do other things than just what OpenELEC allows me to do with my Pi so I don't use it, but I tried.
Raspbmc is the best choice for me and I use it on one of my Pi, strong community and a good lead developer.

j0nnymoe

Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:15 pm

Diaoul wrote: Rather than opening the source code so the community can gather, XBian makes it impossible to contribute and closed source.
I agree with this, I am hoping to get way for Koenkk to have the source of the project open for others to look at.
RPi[1]: Arrived 5/7/12 | RPi[2]: Arrived 10/7/12

PSN/XBL: m0euk
SGS3 i9305: CyanogenMod10.1 Nightlies

cesarvog

Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:10 pm

j0nnymoe wrote: I agree with this, I am hoping to get way for Koenkk to have the source of the project open for others to look at.
Let's wait for it and hope there will be no more "borrowed" code...

andyhorn

Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:31 pm

Is Koenkk Bill Gates in disguise? :lol:
[

sambwel

Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:48 am

Disclosure: I am a mod at the raspbmc forum.

This is the sort of issue that people can get very emotional about. I would hate to think that anyone new to the rpi, looking for a media centre solution, would stumble across threads like this and come away with a very negative impression of the rpi community, and open source software in general!

Fortunately, the solution is very simple: the xbian source code should be made available, as many are already suggesting. This would not only put an end to arguments about who wrote what, it would also meet the requirements of the GPL.

The xbian project dismisses raspbmc and openelec as inferior efforts on its official website, and its supporters are quick to make similar remarks whenever the opportunity arises on other sites. Meanwhile, openelec & raspbmc continue doing their own thing, developing out in the open with community involvement, making useful information available to all those who might seek it - the sort of friendly competition that is OSS at its best.

I leave it to the reader to draw any conclusions from that.

brasello

Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:17 am

Hello to everyone... i'm a complete noob to RasPi and his Oses...
I tried xbian and raspbmc: the first looks to be not able to see and open what it should: a pendrive (8Gb) full of movies and music but xbian doesn't see them!!!; the second works from the beginning, sees everything (music, movies in the same pendrive) but when it comes to shutdown or exit.... freezes and i can only unplug the PSU to quit...
Anyone could help me???
Guido from Italy

P.S. how can i make this usb wifi adapter ( http://elinux.org/RPi_Peripherals ) to work on both (or one of them...)???

JoeDaStudd

Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:18 pm

brasello wrote:P.S. how can i make this usb wifi adapter ( http://elinux.org/RPi_Peripherals ) to work on both (or one of them...)???
With Raspbmc its as the following;
Install the add-on Network Manager then follow use the application to connect to your WiFi.
Please note that generally you need a 1a+ psu to run a wireless adapter on the RasPi.

Never used Xbian so I can't say.

FX4

Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:22 pm

I have tried all three and I am pretty committed to the Raspbmc project as it has the most functionality. That being said I have had some surprise stability issues come and go. In particular it seems to be the most sensitive of the bunch to which SD card the system is installed on. The faster the SD card the more stable the system seems to be. The second issue is with remote controls. The CEC function was working on my Visio television then quit working and I can't get it back. I'm not sure why it worked for a while then quit? I did try a fresh install with identical results. I gave up on the CEC remote for now assuming they would get it fixed in some later release and moved to the official XBMC iPad application. It worked great for several weeks then became super flaky on both of my Raspbmc systems. It remained working fine on my MacMini XBMC install. I probably should have tested it on OpenElec and Xbian but I did not. I opened a thread on the Raspbmc forum trying to resolve the issue and was shot down pretty quick by a developer on the project and I decided to leave it alone. I put Raspbmc away for a few weeks came back and the official XBMC iPad remote is working as it should again. I will say I am very happy with the projects progress over several months although the stability issues that come and go can lead to hair pulling now and then. However all of the above being said it is by far the most functional of the bunch and I have every confidence the developers will continue to improve both functionality and stability. If you get your Raspbmc install to the point where everything is functioning as you would like I would recommend turning off the push updates until you need some code upgrade the developers have pushed to avoid surprises. In summary Raspbmc is still my pick of the three although if you need absolute stability now over functionality I would probably look to one of the other two projects. I do think once Sam and the other developers have a full release it will be the best of bread.

smonkey

Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:29 pm

And we're down to 2 :(

https://twitter.com/Koenkk/status/248828196567539712
XBian is dead! Site is going down, all switch over to @OpenELEC for the best XBMC distro for raspberry pi, thanks to everyone who helped me!
Obviously related to this blog post from Sam: http://www.raspbmc.com/2012/09/xbian-code-theft/

A shame to see the project killed, but stealing code and violating the GPL aren't ways to keep the open source community happy.

BadBoyBubby

Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:20 am

Very sad to see the end of xbian was my favorite early on, but now will look at the alternatives more closely.

I would appreciate though if some things could be clarified a bit for me.

The raspbmc installer appears to be based partly on the 'usbit.dll' referred to in the article published on the front page of the raspbmc site, which as far as I can gather is written by Alex Page @ http://www.alexpage.de on his site Alex states the USB Image Tool is 'copyright' material and should carry his copyright for any significant parts of the program used.

Or have I got the wrong 'usbit.dll' :?

Bubby

malakai

Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:42 am

BadBoyBubby wrote:Very sad to see the end of xbian was my favorite early on, but now will look at the alternatives more closely.

I would appreciate though if some things could be clarified a bit for me.

The raspbmc installer appears to be based partly on the 'usbit.dll' referred to in the article published on the front page of the raspbmc site, which as far as I can gather is written by Alex Page @ http://www.alexpage.de on his site Alex states the USB Image Tool is 'copyright' material and should carry his copyright for any significant parts of the program used.

Or have I got the wrong 'usbit.dll' :?

Bubby

No I think your correct Raspbmc does mention the author Alex Page in the read me but to be proper should include the license.txt and maybe the usbit.txt file(Mostly for revision info not copyright.) this looks like an unintentional oversight on raspbmc but again they may have been given express consent to not include the file. But should probably include that in the read me just to clarify if that is the case.
http://www.raspians.com - always looking for content feel free to ask to have it posted. Or sign up and message me to become a contributor to the site. Raspians is not affiliated with the Raspberry Pi Foundation. (RPi's + You = Raspians)

Canasta

Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:14 pm

Is there any difference in the video playback quality between them?

That's all I am interested in really, as I wanted something smaller to replace the tower PC sitting next to my TV in the lounge. But I am finding that it's not quite as good as the PC for video playback

I did a comparison using the same video file of my rasperry pi running the lastest openelec image vs the PC running Windows media player.

I found that Windows media player seemed to have better post processing. It smoothed out the rough edges and smoothed out the colours better that openelec.

Maybe the rasberry just does'nt have the processing power to do this, or it might be a case of waiting for the software on the raspberry to mature.

Anyone else got an opinion on this?

smonkey

Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:34 pm

From my tests, they all play back video with pretty much identical performance. I haven't tried xbian 0.8 or raspbmc rc5 but I wouldn't expect them to really be any different.

It's mostly extra features and ease of use which separates the 3 at the moment in my opinion.

Fixnode

Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:31 am

Hello,

I'm new to Raspberry Pi (had been using Rasbarian to this point) but I'm looking to use a 7 inch touch screen for a car computer project. Which out of Raspbmc or OpenELEC has better support for touch screens? I just want basic movie, music and touch screen support (with the ability to calibrate the touch screen properly)

omiez

Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:54 pm

Hello friends

I installed Raspbmc but the Load on the Cpu is high.
Looking on the faq of Raspbmc i saw that this is normal at first start because the system is updating.

How long does it take to the system to update i used the Pi for about 30 minutes with no sign of unload?

Which of releases beetween Raspbmc,Xbian and Openelec have minimum impact on CPU?
Nr.1 Raspberry Pi Mod.B Rev.2 256Mb Ram (Raspbian)

Raspberry Pi Mod.B Rev.2 512Mb Ram (Maybe i´ll get one)

Dilligaf

Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:46 pm

omiez wrote:Hello friends

I installed Raspbmc but the Load on the Cpu is high.
Looking on the faq of Raspbmc i saw that this is normal at first start because the system is updating.

How long does it take to the system to update i used the Pi for about 30 minutes with no sign of unload?

Which of releases beetween Raspbmc,Xbian and Openelec have minimum impact on CPU?
All the releases build xbmc from the same source so they're all pretty much the same. It boils down to what you want, OpenElect is probably the most locked down of the three, Raspbmc is a dedicated Media Center build that is very customizable, Xbian is an OS that includes xbmc and still allows you to do PC things on it. Don't look at System Info in xbmc to read cpu usage on any of the releases as the act of updating the numbers on the screen will drive cpu up, check from an ssh session using top for accurate readings. Try to ignore the Fanboys comments, try them all and make your own choice.

NOTE: I am a mod on the Raspbmc forum, I try not to get involved in the warring.

fredorama

Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:00 am

Raspbmc....
Couldnt be happier. I run it on USB have CEC and airplay running perfectly. Image quality is great, installer was easy to use, nightly builds are available. It runs fairly fast and good remote response.

Keep up the good work Sam!!!

note: i know people who run OpenElec and are happy, but other than that I can only comment on what I've used.

mous

Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:49 am

PeterO wrote:I've tried all three, and none of them seem to be able to to the most basic of things ( like play a DVD!) .

Unless you have some huge stash of programmes you've already downloaded from the 'net they all seem pretty much pointless.....
PeterO
Uh, when you install the libdvdcss libs, it works pretty much... Only some issues with the menu's, but most things (like subtitles and audio choice) are directly accessible via the gui anyway...

stevepork

Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:10 am

I always used to use Xbian but within the last few months since the Raspbmc release became final I switched. The speed has increased massively compared to the other two,a side-by-side comparison proves that it is now much more responsive and on par with either, although it has a much faster boot time +-10secs. It is much easier to customise and install packages because it is based upon Debian.

I have done a side by side comparrison with Two TV's and Pi's comparing all three and Raspbmc with SMB streaming beats the other two in daily usage, this never used to be the case. SMB always favoured OpenELEC.

Hope this helps,

Return to “Media centres”