I will make the following guide more user-friendly as soon as I find the time. Until then, ask or use google to solve any issues.
Please report issues on https://github.com/CBiX/gotubecast/issues, thanks!
- Get raspbian lite running on your Raspberry Pi
- Install omxplayer from repo
- Install latest youtube-dl on the Pi (the one in the repo might not work)
- Install latest golang environment on your Pi or on your computer
- If you installed golang on your computer, fetch the gotubecast repo and cross-compile it for the Pi, then copy the binary and the raspi.sh script onto the Pi:
- Otherwise, follow the build instructions in the gotubecast readme, then execute $GOPATH/src/github.com/CBiX/gotubecast/examples/raspi.sh
- If you want, copy the displayed screen ID and copy it into the raspi.sh script so you don't have to enter the pairing code every time
- Enter the displayed pairing code in the YouTube app under Settings → Connect to TV
- youtube-dl takes ~ 10 seconds to extract the video stream URL
- volume control doesn't work