tentontabby

NES + Pi

Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:07 pm

Im not sure if this would be of any interest to anyone on here but i have been looking through various posts on here over the past few weeks with my Pi in hand and decided to make the following.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qlg-g4geSWY

I cant take much credit for anything other then gutting the broken NES and modifying the SNESDev drivers for the controllers, poorly soldering everything together and not blowing anything up.

petrockblog

Re: NES + Pi

Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:36 pm

I like your project a lot!
Having a physical reset button is a nice feature.

Looking forward to see your adapted SNESDev sources ;-)
fun stuff for technics enthusiasts: www.petrockblock.com

ajberry

Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:50 pm

What distro of linux are you using?

SSilver2k2

Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:00 pm

That's awesome. Glad you posted it was a broken NES otherwise you may have had the wrath of youtube on you :)
My blog of various geeky things - http://blog.sheasilverman.com
PiPLAY - http://piplay.org
DeskCade.com - Mini Raspberry Pi Arcade Cabinet

tentontabby

Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:09 pm

*petrockblog* I will get the source on GitHub as soon as i work out how to use it, I really didn't have to do much in the way of changes. It was really the first time i had done any C++ coding so excuse me if i get any of the terminology incorrect, i just changed the polling from 16bit to 8bit and made sure they were polled in the correct order. Then put in a class for the reset button so that it simulates the ESC key press.

*ajberry* It's just using the latest Raspian distribution.

*SSilver2k2* yeah it was well broken when i got it, i did manage to resuscitate it so that it worked if the cart was in a certain position but there were some serious video problems. I dont think i could have brought myself to ruin a working NES.

tentontabby

Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:22 pm

petrockblog wrote:I like your project a lot!
Having a physical reset button is a nice feature.

Looking forward to see your adapted SNESDev sources ;-)
Here is the code with my modifications, you'll need to recompile it as the binary file is from the original fork. Like i said i have nearly no experience in C++ but im sure someone like yourself can incorporate it so that both controller types can be supported.

Hope it can be of some use.

https://github.com/5StringsOfDoom/SNESDev-RPi

petrockblog

Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:15 am

tentontabby wrote: Here is the code with my modifications, you'll need to recompile it as the binary file is from the original fork. Like i said i have nearly no experience in C++ but im sure someone like yourself can incorporate it so that both controller types can be supported.

Hope it can be of some use.

https://github.com/5StringsOfDoom/SNESDev-RPi
Thank you for that!

I would also be interested in your solution for the circuitry of the power button and its connection to the Raspberry. Of course only, if you want to share this secret ;-)
fun stuff for technics enthusiasts: www.petrockblock.com

tentontabby

Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:02 am

The only reason i wouldn't show it off is due to my shoddy soldering and workmanship (Trust me it's not pretty). It's really based around the fact that the only spare power supply i had knocking around was a 12v 1A supply.

So i just used a voltage regulator http://www.maplin.co.uk/1a-low-dropout- ... ator-46321 to get it down to a nice 5v supply and whacked the heat sink from the original NES voltage regulator (nothing wasted). then took that 5v supply straight over to the 5v on the GPIO ( i can hear you wince while i type this ) which i know is not overload protected but i am sure the regulator will do a good enough job. Then i just worked out the pinout for the little circuit board the power, reset and LED are on and soldered the rest.

I did have to break the circuit for the reset button as it is tied to the same ground as the LED and it needed to push 3.3v to the GPIO for it to work. In the process of this i split the entire PCB and had to do a quick repair.

I will try and get some pics and diagrams up today if i can find my good camera.

tentontabby

Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:17 am

Here it is in all it's horror, ill put a little explanation with each pic.

This is a general top down shot.

I had to bypass the diodes in the controller PCB's I think they were causing too much resistance as the controllers wouldn't work unless i did this.

There is a 560Ohm resistor in parallell with the LED.

A 10Kohm resistor for the reset button, this is the circuit i used for the reset switch. http://elinux.org/File:EGHS-PullUpDownSwitch.jpg

Here are a couple of pics of the damage i caused to the PCB while trying to cut the reset button from the universal ground.

I worked out that the pinout for that PCB is the following
White = LED +
Orange = GND
Red = Power +
Brown = Power -
Yellow = Reset +

I'll try and do a circuit diagram if i can find some easy to use software to do it on.

tommyboyiceman

Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:14 pm

Glad I found this post. I was just getting ready to do something like this. I was just going to use RasBMC or a Linux distro. Just wanted a cool looking HTPC sitting underneath my TV.

Flipp

Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:29 am

Nice work!

Would like to build almost the same but with SNES Pads and the Choice between SNES, NES, Genesis/Megadrive, Mastersystem and MAME.

I can´t code anything, so i hope something like this is coming in the future!

tentontabby

Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:19 pm

Flipp wrote:Nice work!

Would like to build almost the same but with SNES Pads and the Choice between SNES, NES, Genesis/Megadrive, Mastersystem and MAME.

I can´t code anything, so i hope something like this is coming in the future!
This is entirely possible, i was just extending on the excellent work done by petrockblog http://petrockblog.wordpress.com/2012/0 ... pberry-pi/ if you got hold of a broken SNES you could do exactly the same thing you wouldn't even need to use my adapted code you can use the RetroPi-Setup scripts he has created directly. Even the wiring between the NES & SNES controllers is identical.

If i could get my hands on a broken SNES cheap then i would prefer to use that over the NES as you have more buttons on the controller to work with more emulators.

tommyboyiceman

Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:51 pm

ok, so I am a total newb when it comes to electronics, .net programming I can do. I am powering my Rasberry Pi with an old phone charger. I would love to hook it up to the power and reset buttons, but I have no idea what I am doing. Any help you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated.

robertybob

Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:28 pm

I really wish I had the patience and knowledge to do this !! ;)

tentontabby

Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:44 am

tommyboyiceman wrote:ok, so I am a total newb when it comes to electronics, .net programming I can do. I am powering my Rasberry Pi with an old phone charger. I would love to hook it up to the power and reset buttons, but I have no idea what I am doing. Any help you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated.
The way i wired the power completely bypasses the micro USB-B power input on the board. I use a standard DC power supply that i found in the back of a parts box, it was a 12v power supply so i purchased a N67CA voltage regulator to get the voltage down to 5v and sent that to the 5v pin on the GPIO of the RPi. I then wired the power button in series to the input of the regulator so that when the button is off there is no voltage going to the regulator.

I personally would recommend finding out if there is a better way of sending the voltage to the RPi as this circuit bypasses all of the overload protection built into the RPi.

Then to wire the LED i used 560Ohm resistor in parallell with the LED and the 5v i was getting from the voltage regulator.

I myself have only a very basic understanding of electronics from GCSE electronics design (nearly 15 years ago and only managed a D grade) and would personally recommend doing a bit of reading up on the basic principles of DC circuits and components first.

It never hurts to learn something new.

Segway

Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:06 pm

Here's how I tackled the power issue: I spliced a microUSB to usb cable, took the VCC wire and cut it in half, each half of the VCC cable goes to one of the NES's power switch wires (brown and red). The regular USB portion of the cable sticks out from the AC adapter hole in the NES case so it can be pushed against but not get lost inside the case. To actually supply power, I'm using the barrel connector from a HP Touchpad so from the barrel connector to the pi I'm using a usb extender cable.

tentontabby

Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:07 pm

Segway wrote:Here's how I tackled the power issue: I spliced a microUSB to usb cable, took the VCC wire and cut it in half, each half of the VCC cable goes to one of the NES's power switch wires (brown and red). The regular USB portion of the cable sticks out from the AC adapter hole in the NES case so it can be pushed against but not get lost inside the case. To actually supply power, I'm using the barrel connector from a HP Touchpad so from the barrel connector to the pi I'm using a usb extender cable.
That sounds like a much safer solution, i would ideally liked to have done that but i was trying to only use scrap and spares and the only micro USB cable we have is my wife's one for her eReader. Also doing the way you have makes sure the voltage is going through the RPi's voltage regulators.

Segway

Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:02 pm

Thanks. That actually happened to me. Turned out I lost my other micro USB cable and had to resort to plugging my phone into the NES case to charge it at night. I ended up ordering a bunch of spares at monoprice. Your work with the controller ports are a lot neater than mine. I ended up using a arduino and have the first controller port wired to it. The arduino then passes the key presses to the pi as keyboard keys being pressed.

spreeway

Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:59 pm

What GPIO pins did you use for the NES reset functionality which resets emulationstation back to the ROMs list? I don't see that discussed anywhere.

flattery

Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:39 pm

I want to wire the reset to gpio and have it exit the emulator... such as by sending a key. I can find a lot of people talking about this, but no good answers.

spreeway

Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:53 am

Wire with pull down resistor to GPIo 17 (pin 11). The SNES dev software installed by the retropie script polls this pin.

romoe

Sun May 19, 2013 7:39 am

tentontabby wrote:Im not sure if this would be of any interest to anyone on here but i have been looking through various posts on here over the past few weeks with my Pi in hand and decided to make the following.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qlg-g4geSWY

I cant take much credit for anything other then gutting the broken NES and modifying the SNESDev drivers for the controllers, poorly soldering everything together and not blowing anything up.
Thanks for the inspiration!

Here's my version of the Pitendo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUHs6gAzkRY

Nothing new really except that I managed to avoid any large modifications on the original hardware.

bluesforsalvador

Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:47 am

Did you use the reset button with a denounce or anything?

How did you hook up the power button to turn on the raspberry pi?

Return to “Gaming”