danvari

PiCenter - A lightweight launcher for omxplayer

Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:59 pm

Hey guys :)!

I am working on a small project for the pi: PiCenter. I love XBMC, but seriously XBMC is too much for me and the pi. I want to have a Bittorrent client in the background, a FTP server, web server, ... and with XBMC this might be a problem (~60% of CPU useage of XBMC). So I started writing my own launcher for omxplayer. Currently there is not much to see. At the moment you can browse your folders and start playing video files (which is what most people want to do ;) ). First I wanted to have it running, so it might be ugly at the moment. However, I have some plans for the future and if you want some feature, please let me know :).

Here you can find the source code:
https://github.com/danvari/picenter

Have fun :)

Nu7s

Re: PiCenter - A lightweight launcher for omxplayer

Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:05 am

Sounds very interesting! Do you have some screenshots? Or photo's? :)

jose1711_

Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:37 am

actually the only thing i am missing from omxplayer is displaying an external (srt) subtitles. if this is present, i could throw xbmc away. is there a chance you could add that? tx, jose

dancytron

Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:25 pm

I was able to install from git in raspbian without any trouble. The instructions were very good. I was able to get it to play video.

It needs some minor adjustments for composite/old low resolution SD TV type screen.

When it comes up, I see the first 5 directories (including the ".."). When I arrow down, the selected directory disappears off the bottom after the 5th one. I can arrow down 10 or 11 times, and it will then skip to the top of the next page. So I never get to see the directories on the bottom of each page. If I click return when the selected directory is hidden, it opens it up.

So either some way to set the number of rows each page has would fix it or scroll bars or have it scroll with you as you arrow down.

Good job.

Dan

danvari

Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:10 am

It needs some minor adjustments for composite/old low resolution SD TV type screen.

When it comes up, I see the first 5 directories (including the ".."). When I arrow down, the selected directory disappears off the bottom after the 5th one. I can arrow down 10 or 11 times, and it will then skip to the top of the next page. So I never get to see the directories on the bottom of each page. If I click return when the selected directory is hidden, it opens it up.
Well, you can simply adjust this setting in the 'conf.h' file ;). Just set 'AMOUNT_ENTRIES' to 5 or whatever you want. If the font is too large for you you can set the fontsize as well.

I highly recommend to get the latest version off github. Many things have changed in the last week. I have stabilized the plugin API and added a plugin launcher which will, that is the next step, dynamically load plugins. I added vietnamese live TV (for my GF, but you can easily deactivate it in settings.mak) and Jupiterbroadcasting live streaming (although this is quite unstable at the moment, I need to fix that).

To update, just enter

Code: Select all

git pull
make remake
Upcoming features:
- dynamic plugin loading
- music browser
- picture browser

Have fun :)

gabello

Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:40 pm

jose1711_ wrote:actually the only thing i am missing from omxplayer is displaying an external (srt) subtitles. if this is present, i could throw xbmc away. is there a chance you could add that? tx, jose
Same here, but I guess we need to wait for omxplayer to support this

starous

Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:14 pm

hi,

could you please post instructions how to install it?
I'm not so good in Linux, but I would like to test you utility.

Thanks

malakai

Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:28 pm

I haven't tried this but you would start with something like

open terminal

sudo git clone git://github.com/danvari/picenter.git

type ls to see if where it copied the files.

cd into that directory

then type make

once completed type picenter

the files and read me are here but not full of install instructions.

https://github.com/danvari/picenter
http://www.raspians.com - always looking for content feel free to ask to have it posted. Or sign up and message me to become a contributor to the site. Raspians is not affiliated with the Raspberry Pi Foundation. (RPi's + You = Raspians)

The_Ross_

Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:13 pm

When following the instructions listed above i get and error indicating SDL/SDL-ttf doesn't exist.

How do i install SDL SDL-tff?

tried apt-get install libsdl-dev.

Says its already installed.

RoyalWulf

Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:45 am

i found this which worked:
apt-get install build-essential libsdl-ttf2.0-dev

I also added -I/usr/include/SDL to the CFLAGS string - not sure if this helped or I did that before the install

edgedamage

Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:26 pm

thank you this works, with one small problem for me. when I launch a video the keyboard loses focus. And I am unable to stop,rewind,ff,quit.

bobbydriver

Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:48 am

I have OMX Player working on my Pi and I can play videos from the command line but it's a pain. Something like a lightweight graphical interface would be brilliant

However, I've installed PiCenter as advised and when I run it, it just says
Segmentation Fault
Any ideas?

bobbydriver

Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:31 pm

I fixed the segmentation fault error.

I didn't have LXDE installed as I'm using the cutdown raspbian image for Squeezeplug.

Installed LXDE and it's 80 million dependencies and now picenter runs OK and I get the screen up - not tested beyond that yet

Return to “Media centres”