bewa

Re: xbmc audio problems

Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:16 am

dom wrote:Can you make the file available so I can look into it?
PM'd you! :)

BadBoyBubby

Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:33 am

http://www.4shared.com/video/GIXRL8PS/A ... furl=d1url

Here is a sample of the file I have found the problem in.

Bubby

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:21 am

Took some finding, but I've found a suspicious vector instruction in the downmixing code on GPU.
I believe my examples sound better now. You need the latest start.elf from guthub:
https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware ... /start.elf

or use rpi-update if your distribution allows it.

bewa

Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:25 am

dom wrote:Took some finding, but I've found a suspicious vector instruction in the downmixing code on GPU.
I believe my examples sound better now. You need the latest start.elf from guthub:

thanks very much! i'll try this now.
I'm using the builds from here http://openelec.thestateofme.com/ but i'll just copy in that start.elf and hopefully that will work :)

bewa

Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:38 am

Just like to confirm that it has completely fixed the downmixing!!

Thanks very much Dom! What happens now will your fix get merged into Master? or will it need to be approved first?

dom

Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:28 am

bewa wrote:Just like to confirm that it has completely fixed the downmixing!!

Thanks very much Dom! What happens now will your fix get merged into Master? or will it need to be approved first?
Great! It was fixed in GPU firmware, so doesn't need to get into xbmc master. It does need OpenELEC/RaspBMC to include it in their next images, but I'm sure they'll be keen to.

amyren

Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:29 pm

dom wrote:

Great! It was fixed in GPU firmware, so doesn't need to get into xbmc master. It does need OpenELEC/RaspBMC to include it in their next images, but I'm sure they'll be keen to.
Does this mean that AC3 audio 5.1 or 7.1 will work in the xbmc (tomaz version) when installed inside raspian after rpi-update is applied?

dom

Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:45 pm

amyren wrote:Does this mean that AC3 audio 5.1 or 7.1 will work in the xbmc (tomaz version) when installed inside raspian after rpi-update is applied?
This particular bugfix was on the GPU firmware (start.elf), so an rpi-udpate should get you the fix.

BadBoyBubby

Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:26 pm

I have just setup the latest Openelec today and all is working fine :D

I am very happy bubby.

Thanks to Dom and everyone involved.

amyren

Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:45 pm

dom wrote:
amyren wrote:Does this mean that AC3 audio 5.1 or 7.1 will work in the xbmc (tomaz version) when installed inside raspian after rpi-update is applied?
This particular bugfix was on the GPU firmware (start.elf), so an rpi-udpate should get you the fix.
Thanks. I did download a couple of sample AC3 5.1 files and it works with xbmc, with sound in my rear speakers :)

But for some reason playing the same file with omxplayer did only give stereo output. (no sound in rear speakers). I use 'xterm -e omxplayer -o hdmi %f' as default commandline for launching the mediafiles from filemanager. Also tested a sample DTS 7.1 file and this also gives only stereo sound from x-desktop.
Is there something I need to initialize to get surround output from the x-environment?

dom

Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:53 pm

amyren wrote:But for some reason playing the same file with omxplayer did only give stereo output. (no sound in rear speakers). I use 'xterm -e omxplayer -o hdmi %f' as default commandline for launching the mediafiles from filemanager. Also tested a sample DTS 7.1 file and this also gives only stereo sound from x-desktop.
Is there something I need to initialize to get surround output from the x-environment?
Add -p to omxplayer command line?

amyren

Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:58 am

dom wrote:
amyren wrote:But for some reason playing the same file with omxplayer did only give stereo output. (no sound in rear speakers). I use 'xterm -e omxplayer -o hdmi %f' as default commandline for launching the mediafiles from filemanager. Also tested a sample DTS 7.1 file and this also gives only stereo sound from x-desktop.
Thanks for the reply, I'll try that.
It sounds logical with passthrough. I missed that when reading the options list for omxplayer.

masterluke

Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:38 am

dom wrote:
Confirmed fixed here too. Thanks SO much for this Dom. Working great now.

amyren

Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:21 am

amyren wrote:
dom wrote:
Thanks for the reply, I'll try that.
It sounds logical with passthrough. I missed that when reading the options list for omxplayer.
Update: I tested a bit yesterday, and for some files it did work great with the -p option. But for a few other files it didnt work as well. One file also refused to play at all with the -p option, or freezed the Pi.
It looks like omxplayer under x-desktop does perform more poorly than under xbmc?
I do use memory split 128/128, could this have any impact on this?

Anyway, for me this is just for testing. I use xbmc for mediaplaying anyway. But I find it interesting to test it.

r0nnie

Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:27 pm

dom wrote:Took some finding, but I've found a suspicious vector instruction in the downmixing code on GPU.

this works great! should be a news item on the main page
been waiting for this

thanks alot finally got to watch human traffic bluray last night

also is the stretch problem fixable like this? or is that problem with xbmc (cant stretch some old 4:3 videos to 16:9)

dom

Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:19 pm

r0nnie wrote:also is the stretch problem fixable like this? or is that problem with xbmc (cant stretch some old 4:3 videos to 16:9)
The zoom modes do work in recent versions of xbmc.

r0nnie

Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:21 pm

dom wrote:
r0nnie wrote:also is the stretch problem fixable like this? or is that problem with xbmc (cant stretch some old 4:3 videos to 16:9)
The zoom modes do work in recent versions of xbmc.
d`oh. thank you didnt know :oops:

will have to see about updating it

r0nnie

Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:18 pm

dom wrote: The zoom modes do work in recent versions of xbmc.
hello dom, do you know of a .deb i could install that allows stretch?

i have just uninstalled my previous version of xbmc from tomaz and installed a new one but getting opengl error and a few more errors

dom

Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:36 pm

r0nnie wrote: hello dom, do you know of a .deb i could install that allows stretch?

i have just uninstalled my previous version of xbmc from tomaz and installed a new one but getting opengl error and a few more errors
I don't know that. Whoever produces the .deb will needs to be building from mainline xbmc (rather than the obsolete xbmc-rbp tree).
The most recent OpenELEC and raspBMC do support stretch.

r0nnie

Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:53 pm

dom wrote: I don't know that. Whoever produces the .deb will needs to be building from mainline xbmc (rather than the obsolete xbmc-rbp tree).
The most recent OpenELEC and raspBMC do support stretch.
alright thanks for the quick reply, was just about to compile my own using the guide at http://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianXBMC but it says : Get the latest XBMC from git.
git clone --depth 1 git://github.com/xbmc/xbmc-rbp.git

so thats the old xbmc that i dont want? and use https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc.git instead?

dom

Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:16 pm

r0nnie wrote:alright thanks for the quick reply, was just about to compile my own using the guide at http://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianXBMC but it says : Get the latest XBMC from git.
git clone --depth 1 git://github.com/xbmc/xbmc-rbp.git

so thats the old xbmc that i dont want? and use https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc.git instead?
Yes. Unfortunately the guide needs updating. The latest tree has more dependencies on both the host and target side.
I believe java is required on the host side now (which is the Pi if you are not cross compiling), which may be a blocker.

Not sure what java is required for, and if there are config options to make it not be needed.

r0nnie

Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:21 pm

dom wrote: Yes. Unfortunately the guide needs updating. The latest tree has more dependencies on both the host and target side.
I believe java is required on the host side now (which is the Pi if you are not cross compiling), which may be a blocker.

Not sure what java is required for, and if there are config options to make it not be needed.
ok thanks im not cross compiling but ill still give it ago and if it doesnt work ill just install the version that worked last for me

dom

Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:26 pm

r0nnie wrote:ok thanks im not cross compiling but ill still give it ago and if it doesnt work ill just install the version that worked last for me
If you do try cross compiling, then there is some info here:
http://forum.stmlabs.com/showthread.php?tid=2500

rave

Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:10 pm

Just wondering, where do you copy the new start.elf to?
I found 2 files:
./flash/start.elf
./usr/share/bootloader/start.elf

I tried to overwrite the one in ./flash/start.elf and now I don't see anything, read: openelec boots but no screen visible on the TV. I can still reach it via ssh, smb etc.

Could you advise or share what you did?

leno

Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:52 am

I thought I might share the "fix" that worked for me in relation to passthrough not working with my rPi whilst using XBMC or openelec. I should pre-face to say I use an HDMI audio spiltter box which picks off the SPDIF to send to the A/V reciever. I did try some of the suggestions here however they did not work for me as they did for others...
You need to edit the config.txt file (http://elinux.org/RPi_config.txt) and add the line "hdmi_force_edid_audio=1" minus quotations. This solved my passthrough issues with my A/V receiver and I have the full DTS & DD multichannel bit-stream getting to my receiver now from my rPi. I hope this may help some people out there. ;)

Return to “Media centres”