Vincentor
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:58 am

What XMBC dist to I want?

Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:04 am

Hello,
I'm on the verge of configuring my new RasPi and I've got a question regarding what dist to install.

Basically I want to use it as a media-center - so I'm looking at different XBMC solutions.

I would also like to

- Surf the web (news, mail etc)
- Access Youtube
- Run Spotify
- Run a BitTorrent client

Will I be able to do these things on a standard XMBC installation - is there a specific dist that I need? T

I'm very new to Linux and the various distributions of XMBC that are available for the RasPi,
thank you .

BadBoyBubby
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:13 pm

Re: What XMBC dist to I want?

Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:25 am

Hi

Well there are plugins for xbmc for youtube, spotify and torrent clients so they should be easy. There also may be a web browser plugin but I would imagine it would be very basic surfing only i.e. no flash or java support etc.

I would suggest you go for rasbian + the xbmc package someone has created for rasbian here.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 66&t=12455

that way you can boot xbmc or startx (normal pc desktop) for surfing.

Bubby

Koenkk
Posts: 148
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:22 pm
Location: Netherlands

Re: What XMBC dist to I want?

Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:58 am

You can also try XBian and install lxde on it ;)

skyap
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:08 am

Re: What XMBC dist to I want?

Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:09 am

I've been using Raspbmc which is working great. They just released RC4 which is based on Raspbian. If media centre is all you want it for then it's the quickest way to get up and running.

jared123
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:04 pm

Re: What XMBC dist to I want?

Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:36 pm

I'd agree with the first reply (http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 66&t=12455). That's what I've been using and had no problems.

I've tried the latest raspbmc and for my usage it's pretty much the same as the one above (performance wise).

I've got xbian 0.4.2 but haven't actually tried it since about 0.2. I have heard very good things about it though (I'm not just saying that because Koenkk is paying attention to this thread :P). Apparently it is configured out of the box with a lot of pi specific tweaks to help playback. I'd probably say if you want something running quickly then this would be a better route than raspbmc :)

Koenkk - while you're here, are you able to give us a quick rundown of what is different between Xbian and a basic compiled XBMC on raspbian? I'm happy to accept that it's better, I'd just like to know a bit more about what you've done to get the best performance out of it.

archie456
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:12 am

Re: What XMBC dist to I want?

Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:48 pm

Will both of these distro play Windows Media Center WTV files?

I'm hoping to do a similar thing to the OP, but Ideally I'd line to watch files that my Win7 Media Center has recorded without having to go to the bother of transcoding them...

stevhorn5
Posts: 116
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:47 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: What XMBC dist to I want?

Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:10 pm

Be aware that if you require apple shares (afp), the only one that seems to allow that is OpenELEC.

I'm currently using Raspian with xbmc installed using this guide:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 13#p133213 (thank you tomaz!)

It is running very well (but doesn't allow afp).

User avatar
nadnerb
Posts: 175
Joined: Sun May 13, 2012 11:22 am

Re: What XMBC dist to I want?

Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:25 pm

stevhorn5 wrote:Be aware that if you require apple shares (afp), the only one that seems to allow that is OpenELEC.
Not true, Raspbmc RC4 supports AFP

stevhorn5
Posts: 116
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:47 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: What XMBC dist to I want?

Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:02 pm

nadner wrote: Not true, Raspbmc RC4 supports AFP
Oh. I'll have to have another look at it. When I tried it a while back it did not.

Thanks for the update!

Koenkk
Posts: 148
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:22 pm
Location: Netherlands

Re: What XMBC dist to I want?

Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:00 am

stevhorn5 wrote:
nadner wrote: Not true, Raspbmc RC4 supports AFP
Oh. I'll have to have another look at it. When I tried it a while back it did not.

Thanks for the update!
XBian does too

Koenkk
Posts: 148
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:22 pm
Location: Netherlands

Re: What XMBC dist to I want?

Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:03 am

jared123 wrote:I'd agree with the first reply (http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 66&t=12455). That's what I've been using and had no problems.

I've tried the latest raspbmc and for my usage it's pretty much the same as the one above (performance wise).

I've got xbian 0.4.2 but haven't actually tried it since about 0.2. I have heard very good things about it though (I'm not just saying that because Koenkk is paying attention to this thread :P). Apparently it is configured out of the box with a lot of pi specific tweaks to help playback. I'd probably say if you want something running quickly then this would be a better route than raspbmc :)

Koenkk - while you're here, are you able to give us a quick rundown of what is different between Xbian and a basic compiled XBMC on raspbian? I'm happy to accept that it's better, I'd just like to know a bit more about what you've done to get the best performance out of it.
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

First off I added a lot of packages/services (airplay, nfs,afp,cec,lirc,samba). I also compiled XBian by my own. Added overclock settings wich are stable for almost all pi's. Applied some bug fixes througout 0.1 to 0.4.2. Upgraded kernel. That basically is it ;)

stevhorn5
Posts: 116
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:47 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: What XMBC dist to I want?

Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:08 pm

Koenkk wrote:
nadner wrote: Not true, Raspbmc RC4 supports AFP
XBian does too
I've tried out both Raspbmc and XBian since yesterday and I'm pleased to see they both support AFP, however, both reboot xbmc when I try to connect to the shares. I'm not sure why that is because I can attach without a problem with OpenELEC.

Can anyone else confirm this?

Koenkk: Can you look into this please as I'd really like to use XBian because it is so fast and smooth?

Thx

mp3ireland2
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:08 pm

Re: What XMBC dist to I want?

Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:03 pm

Can you install lxde on raspbmc? Or Xbian? Does it work on all distributions?

(I'm getting confused by all the OS's I've got raspbmc installed at the minute so if I could install lxde on that I'd be sorted!)

Return to “Media centres”