Naughtron

Music Project Advice

Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:05 am

Greetings all,

This is my first post on the forums, and I am looking for advice on an upcoming project.

I would like to build a Raspberry Pi Zero based music player for my office desk. My goal is to load my music collection onto the Pi add a DAC and a small touch screen so I can access the music via touch controls.

At the moment here is what I am thinking for in terms of parts and software:
Pi Zero
Pimoroni pHAT DAC https://www.adafruit.com/products/3016
Volumio for music management https://volumio.org/

Now what I am unsure of at the moment is what type of display to use. I live in the States, so I buy the majority of my parts from adafruit.
I would like to ask for suggestions on a small display that will work with the Pi Zero and allow a touch interface.

Thank you all for your time.

gychang

Re: Music Project Advice

Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:19 pm

I also want similar setup with zero, I don't need a small screen, (will use android phone or tab), I am used to moode audio as a headless control.

I would like to use 5V USB Powered PCM2704 MINI USB Sound Card (about $5), which I have and used with excellent sound....

FM81

Re: Music Project Advice

Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:45 am

Use a small system (for example Raspbian Lite) and install mpd and ALSA (if not already included) and/or PULSEAUDIO.

If you wish to include an small LCD there are several types of connections possible:
- direct to the GPIO
- via I2C
- or via serial (/dev/ttyAMA0)
For pre-made distributions may be something included (haven't tested), if using the above (Raspbian Lite) you would have to include it by yourself, but this have been done often, also here in forum ...

Greetings, FM_81

PS: Volumio and Rune-Audio do the same, but they are a little oversized/bloated for my needs ...
A: What does the command 'cat /dev/urandom', can you tell me please?
B: Yeah, that's very simple: It feeds your cat with radioactive material!

Return to “Media centres”