linuxstb

DVB streaming to the Pi

Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:27 pm

All,

I'm sure I'm not alone in planning to use the Pi for viewing live and recorded DVB streams, but as far as I know, there is no obvious ready-made solution for this.

I was planning to write my own software for this (both server and client) and am currently experimenting with software MPEG-2 decoding. But I am also aware that there are numerous other projects which aim to do something similar to me and thought we could do with a general thread in order to discuss progress and perhaps combine our efforts and experiences.

Some options I've been made aware of:

1) tvheadend + xbmc-pvr
2) vdr + vomp

Is there anything else? Can people working on these project make themselves known and post the current status of their work?

After reading the webpage for vomp ( http://www.loggytronic.com/vomp.php ) this appears to have exactly the same aims as me (a simple digital set-top box like interface that can be used by someone without knowledge of all the Linux hackery going on behind the scenes). However, this is tied to VDR, which I'm personally not a fan of but am willing to give it another look.

tvheadend has the drawback (for me) that it remultiplexes recordings to MKV, rather than recording the original, unmodified, transport stream. However, I'm willing to consider this as it has lots of other very nice abilities and is currently enjoying a spurt of new development. I don't know if xbmc-pvr will give me the simple interface I'm after though.

My intention was to make the server as simple as possible, and as far as possible keep all the streamed data in the same format as the original DVB broadcast. So this would simply mean streaming the transport stream packets unmodified to the client, including the SI packets such as the EIT.

I also have the requirement of wanting my Pi to connect to multiple servers, some of which will be remote (but with a network connection fast enough to stream the unmodified broadcast transport stream) and to merge all available channels into a single channel list (and present a unified interface to all recordings).

MartenR

Re: DVB streaming to the Pi

Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:46 pm

Hi,
I am currently working on the port of vomp to the raspberry pi (I also did a windows port long time ago).
Current status is that OSD and keyboard input is working as well as h264 video playback.
I am currently stuck in the video decoding of mpeg2, in the moment a transcoding approach is my favorite approach.
After this audio will be implmented. You can watch the progress at git.vomp.tv .

Marten

tpires

Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:48 pm

Hi!

I tried at least the very basics, which was DVB-T on the Pi through tvheadend with OpenELEC PVR. I didn't try recording or MPEG-2 (on my country it's MPEG-4).

You can check it out here.

jacksonliam

Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:36 am

Media portal is the best I've found so far, it takes a bit of setting up because the best features come with the 3rd party plugins, but its the best tv on pc interface I've found and does all the cool media stuff too! Only problem is its windows only... There's an app to watch stuff on phones / tablets though, so I thought about something similar for the Pi.

Were you thinking of a stand alone unit on a pi? A pi server and pi clients? A pc server and pi clients?
I think I might go for the last one or the middle one...

Vomp is good but the interface looks like an old sky box copy.

linuxstb

Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:20 am

jacksonliam wrote:Media portal is the best I've found so far, it takes a bit of setting up because the best features come with the 3rd party plugins, but its the best tv on pc interface I've found and does all the cool media stuff too! Only problem is its windows only... There's an app to watch stuff on phones / tablets though, so I thought about something similar for the Pi.
Thanks, but I only run Linux.
jacksonliam wrote:Were you thinking of a stand alone unit on a pi? A pi server and pi clients? A pc server and pi clients?

I think I might go for the last one or the middle one...
A (Linux) PC server and Pi clients.
jacksonliam wrote:Vomp is good but the interface looks like an old sky box copy.
I agree, I wouldn't want to use something that reminds me of a Sky box. But that's a relatively minor point for me (functionality is more important) and I'm sure that's relatively easy to fix (although if it doesn't support theming, it may be controversial getting UI changes committed to the main branch).

robwriter

Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:51 am

It is impossible to get a MythTV client running on the Pi?

bbb

Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:35 pm

robwriter wrote:It is impossible to get a MythTV client running on the Pi?
I have had a look at this, I built some dependences and mythtv from deb-multimedia.org for the pi. It was slow to say the least :(

Really to get myth frontend running on the pi the following is needed:-
* Run main menus, scheduler screens etc ... using the framebuffer without X11 running. (maybe using OpenGL ES ??)
* Reduce memory usage by a lot, needs custom themes and code changes.
* Optimize video codecs (needs OpenMax IL support for x264, and software based hack for MPEG2)

My current thinking for a PVR networked type solution is to replace myth-backend with VDR and the streamdev plugin http://projects.vdr-developer.org/proje ... -streamdev. Then put together an optimized network client using some of the tricks from the MPEG2 Decoding thread with OpenMax IL support (to get at the x264 video decoder).

linuxstb

Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:56 am

All,

I've decided to go with Tvheadend on the server and (mainly because it's a fun project) will be writing my own client for the Pi, supporting MPEG-2 and H.264 playback.

I have made a start on this, and have an early experimental version of my client available in my git repo here:

https://github.com/linuxstb/pidvbip

After you clone the repository (or download the source), just type "make" in the "pidvbip" directory and run the htsptest program:

./htsptest host port channelId

where host and port is the location of your Tvheadend server (port is 9982 by default) and channelId is the ID of the channel you wish to view. Currently only MPEG-2 is working, and there is no audio.

Return to “Media centres”