Wanderlei

Re: XBian - Small, Fast, Lightweight XBMC solution

Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:10 pm

I wasnt able to get wifi working for a asus N10 dongle. I tried a dozen or so times, running the Xbian inside xbmc but it never worked.

-Formatted and started again, trying different, different procedures, with wired connection, without wired connection, dongle plugged, not plugged in, etc etc but it was no good.

I did have wifi working on Raspbmx, after setting up installing with wired connection it works with "network manager" add on.

XBMC was quite snappy once loaded but it took much longer to boot than Raspbmx.

j0nnymoe

Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:09 pm

Hi,

would just like to point out, the website looks to be down. This is a known problem and hopefully it will be resolved soon :)

**Edit - Should all be back to normal now**
RPi[1]: Arrived 5/7/12 | RPi[2]: Arrived 10/7/12

PSN/XBL: m0euk
SGS3 i9305: CyanogenMod10.1 Nightlies

Juggler

Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:30 pm

when do we have newest 3.2.7 kernel with all fixes and working 8192 (8712) drivers out of the box as in latest official raspbian image?

Koenkk

Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:00 pm

Juggler wrote:when do we have newest 3.2.7 kernel with all fixes and working 8192 (8712) drivers out of the box as in latest official raspbian image?
When MrEngman compiles and updates his script to work with 3.2.7.

windhero

Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:45 pm

I've tried both XBian and Raspbmc, and XBian is much smoother. However, XBian does not recognize external harddrives automatically, like Raspbmc does. Is there a fix for this, or do I have to do the source each time I add new content?

EDIT:

I installed the image from the first page, meaning version 0.1 I think? Should I upgrade to 0.6 or further? Are the problems fixed in these versions? Also, is upgrading only possible by formatting and mounting the newer version (like upgrading directly from 0.1 to 0.6), or is there a faster way to do this?

Thanks for the help, I know I'm a newb, but please bear with me.

Koenkk

Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:26 pm

Just write a fresh XBian 0.6.2 image to your SD card available here http://xbian.org/?page_id=21&did=11. XBian does auto mount your USB devices (from version 0.1). For example you want to add a movie source, video -> files -> add videos... -> browse -> USB0 (your usb hdd will ALWAYS be called USB0).

windhero

Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:44 pm

Koenkk wrote:Just write a fresh XBian 0.6.2 image to your SD card available here http://xbian.org/?page_id=21&did=11. XBian does auto mount your USB devices (from version 0.1). For example you want to add a movie source, video -> files -> add videos... -> browse -> USB0 (your usb hdd will ALWAYS be called USB0).
Thanks, thats what I did and now it works.

Onto my next problem; Engmans script freezes for me whilst configurating. I can't get the same wifi-dongle to work with Raspbian either. This is where the script stops:

The wifi adapter should start automatically. Just wait a while for the wifi adapter LED
to start flashing then press any key to continue...[ 501.028724] usb 1-1.2.: new high speed USB device number 8 using dwc_otg
[ 501.138981] usb 1-1.2.2: New USB device found, idVendor=148f, idProduct=2870
[ 501.155555] usb 1-1.2.2: New USB device strings: Mfr=0, Product=0, SerialNumber=0
[ 501.248755] usb 1-1.2.2: reset high speed USB device number 8 using dwc_otg
[ 501.881123] phy1 -> rt2x00lib_request_firmware: Error - Failed to request Firmware.
[ 501.958809] phy1 -> rt2x00lib_request_firmware: Error - Failed to request Firmware.
[ 502.345288] phy1 -> rt2x00lib_request_firmware: Error - Failed to request Firmware.

You now have 1 wifi adapter configured

The wifi adapter driver is installed. Waiting for the wifi adapter to connect.
[ 531.326725] phy1 -> rt2x00lib_request_firmware: Error - Failed to request Firmware.
[ 531.406958] phy1 -> rt2x00lib_request_firmware: Error - Failed to request Firmware.
[ 531.674187] phy1 -> rt2x00lib_request_firmware: Error - Failed to request Firmware.

Any ideas?

ALSO how much does the default overclock physically affect the Rpi? I disabled it for now, but is it safe to enable?

mcmanuf

Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:35 am

So far great release.

However, and i have not compared to the other distros, the xbmc.bin is consuming around 50% CPU, when just doing nothing. I have to exit the XBMC in order for the RPi to reduce its cpu usage dramatically.

Can this somehow be fixed? Because when I do want to use the RPi again, I have to remove and replug the power cable, or start up an SSH session and enter the command /usr/lib/xbmc.bin --standalone in order for my XMBC to come to live again.

In the case nothing can be done about the cpu usage of xbmc.bin, would it somehow be possible to invoke xbmc.bin when changing to the HDMI channel on my CEC enabled TV?

Because it does seem like the RPi registers when the TV turns to the HDMI port the RPI is connected to!

Thanks, and keep up the good work!

JRT

Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:02 am

First off: Xbian is amazing. I have two questions:-

1) Is it a problem that it always logs in as root? We're constantly told this is "a bad thing"... I'd rather it logged in normally and used sudo to run.
2) In the future, will it be possible (or is it possible now) to hook up programs to the "programs" section, complete with pics for the files, etc. I'm thinking emulators. Maybe all I need to do is read an XBMC guide...!

As I say, fantastic release otherwise.

El_Presidente

Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:17 am

I've updated to the new Kernel 3.2.27 but I've also done what comes naturally and run rpi-update after it. Hadn't seen your message not to run it, and now I have an early boot Kernel Panic.

Any tips on recovery? Could I put the card in another machine and just re-copy over your specific kernel.img, or do I need to start from scratch with 0.6.2 and update manually again?

Or should I just wait a few days for an imminent upgrade of Xbian to use the new kernel anyway?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Never trust a man, who when left alone with a tea cosey, doesn't try it on.

Koenkk

Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:39 pm

Just copy the files of the .tar.gz which the update to 3.2.27 kernel downloaded for you.

Koenkk

Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:39 pm

Site is having issues again :(

EDIT: Probably ddos

bigdavethehorn

Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:50 pm

bigdavethehorn wrote:Could anyone tell me whether Xbian can happily handle .srt files associated with .mkv files?
Sorry to repeat this, but has anyone tested subs yet? Thanks!

bigdavethehorn

Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:52 pm

BadBoyBubby wrote:
bigdavethehorn wrote:Total newbie here, but does XBian overclock the Pi by default?
The xbian image is set to overclock by default. On a pc you just need to edit the config.txt file found on the sd card and put a # in front of the overclock commands this disables them and pi will run at default 700mhz.

Personally I think they should # them out and allow a user to turn them on if wanted.

Bubby
Thanks for this. Is there somewhere within Xbian that I can check clockspeeds to ensure that the overclock is disabled?

Koenkk

Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:05 pm

bigdavethehorn wrote:
BadBoyBubby wrote:
bigdavethehorn wrote:Total newbie here, but does XBian overclock the Pi by default?
The xbian image is set to overclock by default. On a pc you just need to edit the config.txt file found on the sd card and put a # in front of the overclock commands this disables them and pi will run at default 700mhz.

Personally I think they should # them out and allow a user to turn them on if wanted.

Bubby
Thanks for this. Is there somewhere within Xbian that I can check clockspeeds to ensure that the overclock is disabled?
Plugin into your pc go to the fat partition -> config.txt en remove all line. Why do you wan't overclock to be disbaled? It won't play good I think.

bigdavethehorn

Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:39 pm

Koenkk wrote:Plugin into your pc go to the fat partition -> config.txt en remove all line. Why do you wan't overclock to be disbaled? It won't play good I think.
Thanks Koenkk. I wanted to learn how to disable the overclock, just in case I encounter any stability issues.

I had mistakenly thought that overclocking voids the warranty, however I have since learned that this is not true. I presume that Xbian's overclock does not overvolt the Pi?

voorstad

Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:43 pm

Koenkk wrote:Site is having issues again :(

DDOS? Hopefully not by one of the other XBMC distro's... :o ? Would be better to join the efforts imho :) .

Koenkk

Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:12 pm

voorstad wrote:

DDOS? Hopefully not by one of the other XBMC distro's... :o ? Would be better to join the efforts imho :) .
Yup openelec ddosed raspbmc. So I think one of them is also going it to XBian right now.

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:25 pm

Ouch. Ducks before the bun fight begins :o

T.
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

bigdavethehorn

Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:18 pm

Does exiting XBMC shut down the Pi, or do you need to enter a shut down command too?

fraz0815

Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:23 pm

bigdavethehorn wrote:Does exiting XBMX shut down the Pi, or do you need to enter a shut down command too?
atm all options (reboot/shutdown...) just exit xbmc (0.62), I saw some fix on the xbian forums before they went down :( I think i read that it will be fixed for next version.

bigdavethehorn

Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:30 pm

Thanks!

granra

Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:50 pm

Koenkk wrote:
voorstad wrote:

Yup openelec ddosed raspbmc. So I think one of them is also going it to XBian right now.
What!? That's just seems childish to me.

Koenkk

Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:41 pm

Sorry for all the posts about Openelec and raspbmc. We found the ip of the one who was attacking us. He is not a raspbmc user/dev nor a openelec user/dev. Sorry for this!!!!!!

sraue

Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:49 pm

Koenkk wrote:Sorry for all the posts about Openelec and raspbmc. We found the ip of the one who was attacking us. He is not a raspbmc user/dev nor a openelec user/dev. Sorry for this!!!!!!
Thanks much,

and i will mention we (the OpenELEC devs) are working very close with the XBMC devs to make XBMC better for all, so all XBMC projects/distros will benefit from this.

Stephan

Return to “Media centres”