jerrylamos

Re: XBian - Small, Fast, Lightweight XBMC solution

Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:54 pm

On my linux notebook, I copy the SD image to a file using the ancient dangerous utility dd.
Then I compress it using gzip.

When my Raspian install gets borked, I do a gunzip to get the img file back, use gparted to wipe the SD to F32 format, then use dd to restore it.

I don't know how to do any of that with the Pi.

Koenkk

Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:08 pm

I found a way to fix usb issues :D Will release it asap (xbmc with pusle eight cec is still compiling ;) )

Penetratore

Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:12 am

When powering up the RPI the TV starts also and it switched to the hdmi where the RPi is pluged in.
For me this is not realy comfortable and I think the CEC commands are not properly defined.
I don`t have the same situation when starting AV-amplituner althought it is also connected with CEC.

Is there a way to fix it?

Nu7s

Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:32 pm

Hey Koenkk,

I mentioned Xbian on the XBMC forum:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?ti ... pid1169799

Aparantly they didn't already know about Xbian.

They created a new page on their wiki:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBian

Maybe it's a good idea to add some more info on it.

Keep up the good work! 8-)

magno23

Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:07 pm

i can't get my usb pendrive to work with xbian (works great in openelec)

smonkey

Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:44 pm

I just finished doing a comparison of Xbian 0.6 and Raspbmc RC4 (for science!).

My setup:
Samsung 37" 1080p TV, pi connected through HDMI.
1TB External drive (powered) connected to the pi.

I used the same SD card, and the default settings for both, and tried out a few different file types. My basic conclusion is that there's little difference performance wise :)

CEC worked perfectly out of the box on both, and the menus were very smooth in both. I also used the iOS official XBMC app to control both, and it worked without any problems.

First - MP4 (2.0 SD AAC, the newer format for scene release TV shows). This played back perfectly in both.
AVI MP3 2.0 SD - played back perfectly on both.
AVI Dolby 2.0 SD - played back perfectly on both.
720p 5.1 DTS - played back fine on both (there was some initial occasional HDMI dropouts but this was sorted by changing the XBMC settings, I cant remember exactly which one though).
1080p 5.1 DTS - frequent stutters on both, and heavily distorted display (artifacts in the picture all the time).

I tried a few addons, all of which worked perfectly - iplayer, itv player, 4od, demand 5, tvcatchup.

I tried playing about with the settings for the 1080p file but couldn't get it to play back properly in either distribution. I even tried another file just to rule that out, but had no luck. I'm not that experienced with XBMC so I didn't really know what I was doing (I am experienced with video/audio files, but not XBMC specifically).

One thing I've read is that changing the resolution to 24hz helped a lot of people. I tried changing it and got a confirmation popup. I selected yes, but as soon as I exited the menu it reverted back to 60hz - this happened in both distributions and I couldn't get it to stick at all. I tried tweaking things like 'sync refresh rate with video file' etc.. but had no luck. I don't think its related to DTS because my TV can handle it so I assume its just being passed through.

So... overall, I had a pretty much identical experience with both. The one thing raspbmc has going for it right now is the automatic updates (but I assume Xbian will get that eventually). Xbian is updated far more frequently (the downside is having to re-image the SD every time).

I was planning to try openelec as well, but realistically I'm more likely to stick with one of these 2, so I left it for now.

If anyone can help with my 1080p or resolution issues, then I'd really appreciate it :)

smonkey

Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:01 pm

One more thing. I appreciate that xbian is closed source, but I've got a question for Koenkk...

I'd like to try compiling xbmc myself. Apart from the general tweaks to the os and overclocks etc.. have you made any tweaks to the xbmc source? Basically if I were to clone the xbmc repo and compile it, should I expect any performance difference compared to xbian (other than the darkbasic/extremeshock tweaks).

I've used Linux for years so I'm happy fiddling about, but if you've modified xbmc itself to get better performance then it's probably not worth me trying!

Finally, thanks for a great distribution :)

Koenkk

Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:49 pm

OOB performance upgrade are on the way!

How i compiled XBMC, use this http://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianXBMC

I replaced step 10 with this to enable airplay and nfs support

./configure --prefix=/usr --build=arm-linux-gnueabihf --host=arm-linux-gnueabihf \
--localstatedir=/var/lib --with-platform=raspberry-pi --disable-gl --enable-gles \
--disable-x11 --disable-sdl --enable-ccache --enable-optimizations \
--enable-external-libraries --disable-goom --disable-hal --disable-pulse \
--disable-vaapi --disable-vdpau --disable-xrandr --enable-airplay \
--disable-alsa --enable-avahi --disable-libbluray --disable-dvdcss \
--disable-debug --disable-joystick --enable-mid --enable-nfs --disable-profiling \
--disable-projectm --enable-rsxs --enable-rtmp --disable-vaapi \
--disable-vdadecoder --disable-external-ffmpeg --disable-optical-drive

Koenkk

Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:25 pm

XBian 0.6.1 is out! http://xbian.org/?p=143

8000HD

Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:17 am

Wow thanks for your hard work!

Doktoren

Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:29 am

So i finally upgraded from 0.3 to 0.5 yesterday and this morning i see 0.6.1 is released - argh! But hey! Kudos to koenkk for the steady flow of updates!

I found setting up my wifi dogle was quite easy, when i found the guide and followed it.

I have my Edimax nano usb wifi plugged straight into the Pi - no hub. And i aslo have a powered 1tb hdd plugged in.

Some years back i had a 800$ish mac mini setup as my htpc now i have a less than 100$ setup!
And im just as satisfied with the RasPi.

Well i should prolly install the 0.6.1 this afternoon, so that im ready for the 0.7 release tomorrow :P

smonkey

Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:48 am

Koenkk wrote:OOB performance upgrade are on the way!

How i compiled XBMC, use this http://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianXBMC

I replaced step 10 with this to enable airplay and nfs support

./configure --prefix=/usr --build=arm-linux-gnueabihf --host=arm-linux-gnueabihf \
--localstatedir=/var/lib --with-platform=raspberry-pi --disable-gl --enable-gles \
--disable-x11 --disable-sdl --enable-ccache --enable-optimizations \
--enable-external-libraries --disable-goom --disable-hal --disable-pulse \
--disable-vaapi --disable-vdpau --disable-xrandr --enable-airplay \
--disable-alsa --enable-avahi --disable-libbluray --disable-dvdcss \
--disable-debug --disable-joystick --enable-mid --enable-nfs --disable-profiling \
--disable-projectm --enable-rsxs --enable-rtmp --disable-vaapi \
--disable-vdadecoder --disable-external-ffmpeg --disable-optical-drive
That's brilliant, thanks for your help :)

Draven68

Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:01 am

Xbian 0.6 XBMC Skins Video Demo

PM3 HD - Mediastream Redux - Confluence

Exported the Media Library to Local files on my Hdd, resized poster thumbnails from 496x720 down to 400x600 resolution.. turned off all unused options (eg.mouse,rss)

I did also set XBMC for 720p as most of my video collection is 720p and my Tv is only 40inch.

Demo videos are not streaming thumbs or fanart from the internet.

eg. Files on my Hdd look like this......
The Dark Knight.mkv
The Dark Knight.nfo
The Dark Knight.tbn
The Dark Knight-fanart.jpg

Youtube:
PM3 HD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Up8ucUTBun4
Mediastream & Confluence
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cf8qpQ8_4xY

P.S. Sorry for the video quality.

Koenkk

Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:46 am

Thanks for this video, like it! :)

mongrol

Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:23 am

Did I miss the memo about this being closed source? How can it be? If there's any debian or xbmc in xbian the source needs to be provided or made available on request.

smonkey

Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:46 am

mongrol wrote:Did I miss the memo about this being closed source? How can it be? If there's any debian or xbmc in xbian the source needs to be provided or made available on request.
I was under the impression that you only need to do that for commercial releases? If I were to make my own version of raspbian/xbmc and distribute it to a few friends, surely I'm not required to give them the source as well (which is pretty much what's happening here, just it's being given to a bigger audience)

Ilfirin

Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:52 am

No, it is about distribution.
No matter if it is sold for billions, or given to friend in pub for free.

Hexagon

Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:12 am

Just to avoid any confusion - XBian is in no way closed source, it's just a finely tuned and configured compilation of pre-existing open source packages.

thedude123

Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:50 pm

Is there an easier way to upgrade to new versions then to having to reimage the SD card?

2be

Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:47 pm

thedude123 wrote:Is there an easier way to upgrade to new versions then to having to reimage the SD card?
if you have 0.6
http://forum.xbian.org/viewtopic.php?f= ... 1456#p1456

thedude123

Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:44 pm

Will all future upgrades be like this as well?

magno23

Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:42 pm

magno23 wrote:i can't get my usb pendrive to work with xbian (works great in openelec)
can somebody help me?

granra

Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:54 pm

In the changelogs it says "Added experimental lirc support" in version 0.4.2. Is this the Lirc GPIO (link) driver? If so, how do I make it work?
Apparently it's included in Raspbmc, according to this (link), but I'd rather use XBian.

Thanks!

Koenkk

Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:14 pm

mongrol wrote:Did I miss the memo about this being closed source? How can it be? If there's any debian or xbmc in xbian the source needs to be provided or made available on request.
It's not closed source, i'm just to lazy to put the source online. I rather focus on XBian than on the documentation. (I hate documentation)
Last edited by Koenkk on Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mongrol

Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:14 pm

Hexagon wrote:Just to avoid any confusion - XBian is in no way closed source, it's just a finely tuned and configured compilation of pre-existing open source packages.
Yes. A modified binary distribution of GPL licensed software has to have the sources of the modified parts available as well as the unmodified parts (either via direct sources or pointers upstream). Currently xbian is in violation as the sources doesn't appear to be available or any information on how to request it.

Return to “Media centres”