rick19011

Re: XBian - Small, Fast, Lightweight XBMC solution

Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:13 pm

Loving the latest release!

jesus225

Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:19 pm

Hi!

I've just installed successfully 0.6.3 version. Great work!!

The only thing I miss from mi Ubuntu Xbmc is that with XBian streching videos to 16:9 doesn't work at all.

I've got dozens of videos I used to strech to 16:9 in xbmc in order to avoid black bars, but changing view mode in XBian doesn't make any difference.

Anybody with the same issue?

Have you managed to get your 4:3 videos fullscreen?

Best regards.

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:41 pm

jesus225 wrote: The only thing I miss from mi Ubuntu Xbmc is that with XBian streching videos to 16:9 doesn't work at all.

I've got dozens of videos I used to strech to 16:9 in xbmc in order to avoid black bars, but changing view mode in XBian doesn't make any difference.
I added this feature here:
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/commit/6c9 ... aa73ad4354

You just need to wait for a build from the latest xbmc tree.

exwaver

Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:25 am

what is supposed to happen when the exit button is pressed from the power button in the bottom left hand corner. Mine just shows a blank black screen and is none responsive (l am running beta 0.7) the only way out is to pull the power cord and perform a cold reset.

Also, my pi freezes after intermittent periods when playing videos across my WiFi network from my zylex 310 NAS. Again, the only way out of the dead screen is to pull the power cord. The funny thing is that when it freezes during video playback, I can still putty into the pi and it responds to commands and is still active, reboot is my favourite command here.

is this a known bug with xbian or is it my NAS or WiFi dongle problem ?

Kraiklyn

Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:36 pm

Sound Issues
---------

On a couple of my 1080p Bluray rips I get sound rapidly becoming out of sync with the video. It seems to happen to random titles with some never displaying the issue, but some losing audio sync after 2 or 3 mins and it gets gradually worse as time goes on.
This happens to various discs even if I use the same encoding profile and I've re-encoded the same disc a number of times in case it was a one off with the particlar encoding process.

So basically, some work fine and some develop sound issues wen encoded with the same profile.
Is there any easy fix for this?

I'm running XBian 0.6.3 but get the same results on XBian 0.6.3. I'm using a HD TV plugged into a receiver via HDMI. I've got any audio sync features of the amp turned off, but have tried turning this on in the past and it made no difference. I've also tried settings in XBMC but can't see any improvement.

I've serached these (and the XBian) forums and havent found an answer yet.

Apart from this issue XBian rocks!!!

Cheers!

Cheers,

Simon

castalla

Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:56 pm

Is there a way to run the wifi setup script from the command line (and not via the addons menu)?

smuggly

Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:50 pm

exwaver wrote:what is supposed to happen when the exit button is pressed from the power button in the bottom left hand corner. Mine just shows a blank black screen and is none responsive (l am running beta 0.7) the only way out is to pull the power cord and perform a cold reset.

Also, my pi freezes after intermittent periods when playing videos across my WiFi network from my zylex 310 NAS. Again, the only way out of the dead screen is to pull the power cord. The funny thing is that when it freezes during video playback, I can still putty into the pi and it responds to commands and is still active, reboot is my favourite command here.

is this a known bug with xbian or is it my NAS or WiFi dongle problem ?

It's The Only Way To Power Off The Pi!

castalla

Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:00 pm

Just to report that I got wifi working using the command line - copy script to \boot and run.

Excellent - runs with wifi plus Logitech keyboard/mouse dongles powered by Kindle power plug. Streaming live TV - wow!

XtR

Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:07 pm

Hi,

Sorry if this posted again...
How can i access my files on SD card and USB on raspberry pi from my mac or pc?
I tried editing smb.conf but i cant copy from or to the raspberry pi.
I have to add that i can browse my shares and the files.

Thanks

Multisaft7

Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:24 pm

is the xbian website down?

Multisaft7

Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:36 pm

Means, there is no more xbian?

chickey

Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:46 pm

I've one pi running xbian and one on openelec, guess i'll have to change over to openelec fully.

Shame really as a bit of competition is always good.

Mr.Dave

Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:13 pm

Anyone got access / mirror to the last available release ?

malakai

Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:27 pm

follow the xbian guy on twitter he claims the site was taken down by the one who was hosting the website out of fear and that he will bring it up tomorrow.

Koen Kanters ‏@Koenkk
@jhoff86 we are going to bring the site back up tmrw

Koen Kanters ‏@Koenkk
@MadsBen82 @SamNazarko because i did not, the one who was hosting the website did because he was scared of @SamNazarko
http://www.raspians.com - always looking for content feel free to ask to have it posted. Or sign up and message me to become a contributor to the site. Raspians is not affiliated with the Raspberry Pi Foundation. (RPi's + You = Raspians)

j0nnymoe

Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:56 pm

malakai wrote:follow the xbian guy on twitter he claims the site was taken down by the one who was hosting the website out of fear and that he will bring it up tomorrow.

Koen Kanters ‏@Koenkk
@jhoff86 we are going to bring the site back up tmrw

Koen Kanters ‏@Koenkk
@MadsBen82 @SamNazarko because i did not, the one who was hosting the website did because he was scared of @SamNazarko
I was hosting the website, I said to Koenkk to sort this out else I would have to give up the hosting for his site as I didn't want to put other websites I host at risk due to one site that might get reported.
RPi[1]: Arrived 5/7/12 | RPi[2]: Arrived 10/7/12

PSN/XBL: m0euk
SGS3 i9305: CyanogenMod10.1 Nightlies

anotherbloke

Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:28 pm

If it just a case of hosting space and bandwidth, i could host the website.

blugerchug

Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:45 pm

I hope it gets sorted as I thought it was really good and a nice, friendly community too

1080p_at_35b

Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:51 pm

this mess is pathetic

koenkk did not author the installer and the precious raspbmc people are being rather too pedantic about this whole issue out of petty rivalry which is clear when reading the whining post because it leads straight from this code issue to a shoddy contradiction to an assertion that Xbian is faster.

Afraid of a little competition are we raspbmc? What are you going to do next, go after OpenELEC?

Congratulations on a clearly underhanded attempt to shaft the competition. Your fear and loathing campaign has got the website of a perfectly healthy FOSS project taken down. All you are doing is consigning innocent users to inferior software experiences. In this sense you are no better than the patent-abusing, monopoly-protecting, innovation-by-lawyers rotten Apple.

Can someone please post the xbian IRC details?

Koenkk I'd suggest you take down the installer. Someone can easily publish it on a torrent if anyone really needs it however the Xbian setup routine is relatively simple regardless and if a Win32 is absolutely necessary, we can just build one of top of the open-source Win32 Disk Imager source, which is available here:

https://launchpad.net/win32-image-write ... source.zip

it is highly amusing that the raspbmc clowns have pulled this tactic as a means of undermining a competitor openly perceived to be better. Then they justify it by claiming Xbian isn't faster, it uses overclocking! LOL. Mate, that makes it faster! So Koenkk and the Xbian community followed the progress of overclockers in the raspberry pi forums and got the jump on raspbmc by, as it turns out, pre-empting the turbo mode. Deal with it, focus your energies on making your own distro as good as it can be, and don't engage in trivial squabbles that are beneath everyone involved on both sides.

castalla

Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:04 pm

As an ordinary user, I too was dismayed to see the outcome of this spat,

I settled on Xbian because the install seemed really straightforward compared to either of the other two - in fact I just gave up trying to understand how to install OpenElec.

Just declare a truce! Bring back Xbian for those who want to use it.

brisk

Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:40 pm

I had problem with youtube plugin a few days ago, so I thought it was a problem of xbian, thus I tried Openelec and raspbmc. To be honest. I really love xbian, the UI is so smooth. Openelec and raspbmc both have lags on UI movement. I immediately flashed back to xbian.

I read somewhere mentioned that xbian is heavily overclocked thus the UI is smooth, so I installed openelec and changed my config.txt with higher cpu/gpu/ram clock, still lags. Not sure why.

Can anyone please explain to me how to make openelec or raspbmc as smooth as xbian (UI movement)?

Koenkk: why not discard whatever win32 installer (or what ever DLL) and just release an image can be installed using Win32 Disk Imager?

PS: Youtube plugin is not a problem of xbian. It has nothing to do with xbian.

Mr.Dave

Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:58 pm

1080p_at_35b wrote:this mess is pathetic

koenkk did not author the installer and the precious raspbmc people are being rather too pedantic about this whole issue out of petty rivalry which is clear when reading the whining post because it leads straight from this code issue to a shoddy contradiction to an assertion that Xbian is faster.

Afraid of a little competition are we raspbmc? What are you going to do next, go after OpenELEC?

Congratulations on a clearly underhanded attempt to shaft the competition. Your fear and loathing campaign has got the website of a perfectly healthy FOSS project taken down. All you are doing is consigning innocent users to inferior software experiences. In this sense you are no better than the patent-abusing, monopoly-protecting, innovation-by-lawyers rotten Apple.

Koenkk I'd suggest you take down the installer. Someone can easily publish it on a torrent if anyone really needs it however the Xbian setup routine is relatively simple regardless and if a Win32 is absolutely necessary, we can just build one of top of the open-source Win32 Disk Imager source, which is available here:

it is highly amusing that the raspbmc clowns have pulled this tactic as a means of undermining a competitor openly perceived to be better. Then they justify it by claiming Xbian isn't faster, it uses overclocking! LOL. Mate, that makes it faster! So Koenkk and the Xbian community followed the progress of overclockers in the raspberry pi forums and got the jump on raspbmc by, as it turns out, pre-empting the turbo mode. Deal with it, focus your energies on making your own distro as good as it can be, and don't engage in trivial squabbles that are beneath everyone involved on both sides.
+1,000,000

TomDoe

Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:15 pm

Mr.Dave wrote:
1080p_at_35b wrote:this mess is pathetic

+1,000,000
+ 2 well written and it shows how many of us feels about the Edrama created by the raspbmc crowd

TomDoe

Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:55 pm

Does anyone have a direct link where I can download xbian?
I've lost the disc I had it on and I've tried the other versions out there but Xbian is by far the fastest and most stable version out there

Return to “Media centres”