EnglishRob

Re: XBian - Small, Fast, Lightweight XBMC solution

Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:50 am

I just wanted to say thanks for the great efforts of XBian, I had a play the other night with it and it's working great (especially with the MPEG2 decoder, I haven't got any VC-1 stuff to test it).

One thing I was wondering though (sorry haven't read through the whole thread yet), is it possible to get access to the shell on the Pi itself?

I also noticed that I'm getting console messages behind videos that are 4:3 format (not a major issue as I normally stretch the videos to 16:9 anyway). Overall I'd say it's awesome, especially with CEC, that alone was a great feature for me, I even think that it might actually be easy enough for my folks to use.

Rob

p4trykx

Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:15 am

One thing I was wondering though (sorry haven't read through the whole thread yet), is it possible to get access to the shell on the Pi itself?
You can login through ssh
ssh -l root ip_of_raspi
the password is raspberry

From Windows you can use putty.

Ed Raket

Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:48 am

EnglishRob wrote: One thing I was wondering though (sorry haven't read through the whole thread yet), is it possible to get access to the shell on the Pi itself?
If your in xmbc, use the "off" button in the bottom left corner, it brings up a little menu and when you use the top option (probably quit... it say's "stoppen" in dutch :mrgreen: ) you'll find yourself in the Cli as superuser.

BadBoyBubby

Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:19 pm

Hi

Just wondering when a new version of xbmc is going to be put into xbian. I'm waiting for the audio problem to be fixed ref http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 35&t=14051.

Just want to know if anything will be happening soon ? Can't wait to get rid of my Media PC and start using pi instead :)

Thanks

Bubby

Mick1152

Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:39 pm

Have you tried the latest build yet? He said he was going to look at the new tree for the next release, which was before the last release. I just assumed he got it in there. I haven't been using xbian lately, my kid has swiped my Pi to do some other projects on so I admittedly don't know if this is fixed in the latest version or not sorry.

mcmanuf

Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:55 pm

Can anyone confirm or deny that xbian 0.63 has moved to the new xbmc tree, which should solve the low volume issue on 5.1-> 2.0 audio playback (DTS and AC3)?

Koenkk

Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:55 pm

Mick1152 wrote:Have you tried the latest build yet? He said he was going to look at the new tree for the next release, which was before the last release. I just assumed he got it in there. I haven't been using xbian lately, my kid has swiped my Pi to do some other projects on so I admittedly don't know if this is fixed in the latest version or not sorry.
It's not but the new build (0.7) may be exciting for you. I'm almost done with it

mcmanuf

Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:57 pm

Koenkk wrote: It's not but the new build (0.7) may be exciting for you. I'm almost done with it
Thanks.
We wrote the post at the same time!

BadBoyBubby

Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:50 pm

many thanks to all involved with xbian :D

looks forward to 0.7 :mrgreen:

Koenkk

Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:21 pm

XBian 0.7 Beta 1 now available! http://forum.xbian.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1182

ScoobyDoo

Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:11 pm

Upgrade to 0.7 took a while but went smoothly and xbmc is running sweet. Movie fan art displays quick even on my class 4 card. All films ive thrown at it are as smooth as butter.
Im using XBMC commander on my Iphone4 to control xbmc, all working how it should. Havent tested out the dvd/iso playback functions yet but its an excellent release so far.

edgedamage

Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:39 pm

I keep getting Error 404 not found. for the update.

Tavalin

Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:47 pm

I upgraded and all seemed OK until it tried to reboot after the update. Since then it doesn't boot up. Something from 0.6.3 -> 0.7 has broken it.

Any ideas?

Inaccessible Rail

Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:06 pm

1080p DTS video to TV stereo over HDMI, streamed via ethernet from a NAS and it's running perfectly. Awesome release.

trickierstinky

Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:08 pm

Am I missing something? I can't seem to access the download just get a 404

Inaccessible Rail

Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:13 pm

His servers might be taking a bit of punishment due to the new release.

lefizz

Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:34 pm

I would say wait for something a bit more stable. I have run the last few updates via putty and had no issues.

0.7 beta 1 killed mine dead. Doesn't even try to boot. Gutted i have a library of over a thousand films which took a long time to scan into the database. Oh well.

Still win some loose some :)

generious

Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:34 pm

lefizz wrote:I would say wait for something a bit more stable. I have run the last few updates via putty and had no issues.

0.7 beta 1 killed mine dead. Doesn't even try to boot. Gutted i have a library of over a thousand films which took a long time to scan into the database. Oh well.

Still win some loose some :)
Why don't you not look into using an external MySQL database, modify your advancedsettings.xml with the location of your external db?

That's how I'm doing it in between build testing after breaking the local dbs so many times :-) got fed up now I keep it external any big changes, I do an export.

lefizz

Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:26 am

I will look into it. But do I need a separate PC to run the database. My media collection is on an old lappy running nas4free.

chickey

Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:28 am

I'd recommend you take a backup of the SD card with windiskimager before upgrades, just do a read instead of write. I know it's easy to get complacent when doing upgrades but it only takes a few minutes to do and in this instance would have saved you a lot of grief.

lefizz

Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:22 am

To be honest i thought of doing that but didnt. I have a few different images backedup.
Rasbian with chromium fully working and wifi setup, etc.

But alas i hadnt done it will xbian, basically because for weeks i was changing images of openelec, raspbmc and xbian almost daily trying to work out which was better.
Of course that like trying to nail jelly to the wall because they are all being developed rapidly so its a moving target. Anyway suddenly xbian did everything competently and i used it more and more rather than just for testing and all the updates worked. It became a usable option rather than just for testing and i guess i dint think about it.

Leason learnt

chickey

Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:48 am

I know where your coming from and i know it's easy for me to state the obvious after the fact. I'm in the very same situation as yourself with trying out different distro's and different versions a lot so need to practice what i preach and take a backup once i settle on which i'm going to use. I've not used any as my main media center as i feel they just arn't quite there yet, too many little glitches for it to be used everyday. Not knocking it though as it's amazing how far things have come and sure it won't be too long before it's useable on a daily basis.

Col

lefizz

Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:02 am

Totally agree Chickey,

At the start of the summer holidays i showed my brother, he was visting spain where i live, the Pi running openelec.
To be honest it was very poor, terribly slow menu operation, video decode had alsorts of issues, screen blanking every 20 seconds. I mean all the disros were a mess. I I was trying to convince him he could probably replace his atom powered XBMC pc with this. I think he thought i was mad.

Today while far from perfect the speed of adavance has really made a few of the distros very usable, certainly better than the media player in my Samsung tv and in someways (cec using the telly remote) better than the atom pc setup.

snoemann

Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:32 pm

Hi!

I have troubles with the following :

- When starting videos from one of the following addons : "NRK" or "TV3Play" :
--> XBMC switches to fullscreen, and video starts playing. However, with no sound.
- When I press Escape on my keyboard, XBMC goes out of fullscreen mode, keeps the video running in the background and suddenly, sound as well.

(When starting "NRK Direkte" only a black screen is shown, with audio playing).

Suggestions?

amyren

Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:03 pm

snoemann wrote:Hi!

I have troubles with the following :

- When starting videos from one of the following addons : "NRK" or "TV3Play" :
--> XBMC switches to fullscreen, and video starts playing. However, with no sound.
- When I press Escape on my keyboard, XBMC goes out of fullscreen mode, keeps the video running in the background and suddenly, sound as well.

(When starting "NRK Direkte" only a black screen is shown, with audio playing).

Suggestions?
I suspect the codec used for the nrk live streaming probably isnt supported. I dont know extactly what videocodec they use, but its the same issue in raspbmc and in Xbmc in raspian.
Playing the video on mplayer on the raspian desktop works though, but its very slow. I think mplayer use inbuilt codecs(?), but is not optimized.

Return to “Media centres”