chickey

Re: XBian - Small, Fast, Lightweight XBMC solution

Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:33 pm

Thanks i'll try the normal refocus for now to see if that works, i'm starting off with a fresh image of xbian 0.6.3 so will let you know how i get on, shame refocus doesn't want to work straight out of the box as it looks rather nifty to say the least.

thedude123

Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:50 pm

I can not get filezilla to work at all. I get SSH in with putty perfectly fine, but both FTP and SFTP with filezilla do not work.

Inaccessible Rail

Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:04 pm

thedude123 wrote:I can not get filezilla to work at all. I get SSH in with putty perfectly fine, but both FTP and SFTP with filezilla do not work.
Do you have SCP as an option? I use that and it works for me.

I upgraded from a fresh 0.6.2 install and it worked fine this time. I had a look at the SD card in gparted and hadn't realised that on the 2gb image there was only about 300mb of space left. After installing some addons and skins I can now understand why I may have had the disc space issue when upgrading. As I was on a 4gb card I've used gparted to increase the main partition to about 3gb so hopefully that should be more than enough for xbmc now.

thedude123

Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:51 pm

I don't want to move files from the command prompt. Filezilla is far easier to use to move files.

It worked without me doing anything when I had openelec but it does not work in Xbian.

Inaccessible Rail

Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:23 pm

thedude123 wrote:I don't want to move files from the command prompt. Filezilla is far easier to use to move files.

It worked without me doing anything when I had openelec but it does not work in Xbian.
Sorry, I don't mean from the command prompt, I use WinSCP and it has FTP, SFTP and SCP as options. SCP works to allow me to drag and drop files to and from the pi.

Koenkk

Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:13 am

For those who want to test the Memset and Memcpy replacement: http://forum.xbian.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1124

chickey

Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:21 am

I've just had a quick thought with the space issue mentioned in this thread as well, i'm using a 8GB SD card but the image is only setup to use 2GB so i wonder if it was just that the bigrefocus would have taken up too much space so wasn't able to apply. I'm at work at the moment so can't test but when i get in tonight i'll run gparted on my card to utilise the free space and try again.

Col.
Inaccessible Rail wrote: I had the same issue. It didn't seem to install so I stuck with the normal refocus for now. I am wondering if any files did install though, and whether they might have caused the disc space errors I got when upgrading xbian.

thedude123

Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:43 pm

Inaccessible Rail wrote:
thedude123 wrote:I don't want to move files from the command prompt. Filezilla is far easier to use to move files.

Sorry, I don't mean from the command prompt, I use WinSCP and it has FTP, SFTP and SCP as options. SCP works to allow me to drag and drop files to and from the pi.
I never heard of WinSCP. I will try it when I get home thanks for the suggestion.

Juggler

Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:10 pm

I can't get my rtl8188 to work with 0.6.3, while raspbian wheezy works ok. What could be the reason?

Juggler

Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:40 pm

I see the same error - firmware request failed as it was in 0.6.2... :evil:

SinnerG

Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:59 pm

Koenkk wrote:For those who want to test the Memset and Memcpy replacement: http://forum.xbian.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1124
Hmm... wonder if this would be the key to getting xbian playing HD smooth on my pi. The raspbian image had this already. I'll give it a test when I do image swap again.

Ed Raket

Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:37 pm

Juggler wrote:I can't get my rtl8188 to work with 0.6.3, while raspbian wheezy works ok. What could be the reason?
Did you do an upgrade, or have you loaded the new image on your SD? my "edimax" rtl8188 works brilliant! wether you upgrade or do a new install. When booted in to Xmbc, do you go to "programs" and run the "settings" script? here you can select "yes" on setup rtl8188 on next startup... This script from mr.Engman works great!

smonkey

Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:41 pm

Inaccessible Rail wrote:

XBian uses the dropbear SSH server (a decision made by Koenkk as it uses slightly less RAM than OpenSSH). In my playing about, I can use SCP through WinSCP, but things like SecureFX don't work. Dropbear doesn't include sftp, so this isn't an option.

As far as I know, you won't have any performance hit by switching back to OpenSSH (I believe that Raspbmc and Openelec have stuck with OpenSSH) - there are guides online, and you'll then have the ability to use things like sftp in filezilla.

Juggler

Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:58 am

Ed Raket wrote:
Juggler wrote:I can't get my rtl8188 to work with 0.6.3, while raspbian wheezy works ok. What could be the reason?
Did you do an upgrade, or have you loaded the new image on your SD? my "edimax" rtl8188 works brilliant! wether you upgrade or do a new install. When booted in to Xmbc, do you go to "programs" and run the "settings" script? here you can select "yes" on setup rtl8188 on next startup... This script from mr.Engman works great!
I do only new image 0.6.3 - no upgrade.
I go to programs and run setup and script strart working after reboot.
I answer with my ssid and psk and when told to insert usb adapter - do so.
Then it just stops with "firmware request failed".
Raspbian at the same time just work. I can shoot a video and upload it to youtube.
Btw - how do you change overscan - only editing config.txt?

Juggler

Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:42 pm

tried editin overscan in config.txt
it worked for console but not for xmbc

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:15 pm

Juggler wrote:tried editin overscan in config.txt
With latest firmware (start.elf) there is an experimental option:
overscan_scale=1
which will scale all dispmanx layers (so XBMC GUI and videos) by the overscan values in config.txt.

You can get it from here:
https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware ... /start.elf

Juggler

Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:28 pm

Here is the video of fresh 0.6.3 with failed realtek wifi adapter
http://youtu.be/1oarGvgTcQs?hd=1&t=1m20s
Which works in raspbian.
The same error reported by other ppl too in this community.

thedude123

Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:12 pm

smonkey wrote:
Inaccessible Rail wrote:

XBian uses the dropbear SSH server (a decision made by Koenkk as it uses slightly less RAM than OpenSSH). In my playing about, I can use SCP through WinSCP, but things like SecureFX don't work. Dropbear doesn't include sftp, so this isn't an option.

As far as I know, you won't have any performance hit by switching back to OpenSSH (I believe that Raspbmc and Openelec have stuck with OpenSSH) - there are guides online, and you'll then have the ability to use things like sftp in filezilla.
I just used WinSCP and it worked fine. Thanks for the help.

Ed Raket

Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:54 pm

Juggler wrote:Here is the video of fresh 0.6.3 with failed realtek wifi adapter
http://youtu.be/1oarGvgTcQs?hd=1&t=1m20s
Which works in raspbian.
The same error reported by other ppl too in this community.
Are you sure you are using a valid SSID and Password? can you check this on an other computer by clicking on the "wifi signal" icon in the bottom bar of Windblows/Linux X-session, it should name the connected SSID. Password should match offcourse...

0rphu

Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:29 pm

Hi all,

now that the mpeg-2 hardware decoding is available, I though there's nothing standing in my way to watch streams from my enigma2 satellite receiver, but I stumbled on deinterlacing. Is there a way to turn the deinterlacing on somewhere in the menu? I searched, but couldn't find it. I presume the player in xbian is capable of whatever the omxplayer can do, so... is deinterlacing in xbian possible? Without it, all the streams are smudged and hardly watchable...

lexxsoft

Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:00 pm

0rphu wrote:Hi all,

now that the mpeg-2 hardware decoding is available, I though there's nothing standing in my way to watch streams from my enigma2 satellite receiver, but I stumbled on deinterlacing. Is there a way to turn the deinterlacing on somewhere in the menu? I searched, but couldn't find it. I presume the player in xbian is capable of whatever the omxplayer can do, so... is deinterlacing in xbian possible? Without it, all the streams are smudged and hardly watchable...
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Video_playback
OSD video settings->DeInterlace video

Killerbee

Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:08 pm

Koenkk wrote:For those who want to test the Memset and Memcpy replacement: http://forum.xbian.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1124
AFAICS no side effects. Browsing through movie list (with fanart enabled) is faster.
I would suggest to implement this in the next version.

PS
I saw that ownership of some directories (/etc, /bin ....) were borked (1000:1000). I do not know if it was due to the patch or some other update. I am updating since 0.6.0. I just ran for each borked directory for example:

Code: Select all

chown -R root:root /etc
KB

necc

Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:58 pm

Killerbee wrote: PS
I saw that ownership of some directories (/etc, /bin ....) were borked (1000:1000). I do not know if it was due to the patch or some other update. I am updating since 0.6.0. I just ran for each borked directory for example:

chown -R root:root /etc
Or even...

find / -uid 1000 -exec chown root:root {} \;

Draven68

Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:15 pm

Juggler wrote:tried editin overscan in config.txt
You can adjust overscan and screensize in XBMC Settings:

System > Settings > System > Video Output > Video Calibration

EnglishRob

Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:50 am

I just wanted to say thanks for the great efforts of XBian, I had a play the other night with it and it's working great (especially with the MPEG2 decoder, I haven't got any VC-1 stuff to test it).

One thing I was wondering though (sorry haven't read through the whole thread yet), is it possible to get access to the shell on the Pi itself?

I also noticed that I'm getting console messages behind videos that are 4:3 format (not a major issue as I normally stretch the videos to 16:9 anyway). Overall I'd say it's awesome, especially with CEC, that alone was a great feature for me, I even think that it might actually be easy enough for my folks to use.

Rob

Return to “Media centres”