Handaloo

Re: XBian - Small, Fast, Lightweight XBMC solution

Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:04 pm

I tried this last night to no avail. It installed SUPER QUICK and booted fine, but when I hit the main menu in XBMC it was totally unresponsive :(

Going to have another play tonight, as it sounds the tits! :lol:

Koenkk

Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:28 pm

Handaloo wrote:I tried this last night to no avail. It installed SUPER QUICK and booted fine, but when I hit the main menu in XBMC it was totally unresponsive :(

Going to have another play tonight, as it sounds the tits! :lol:
How do you mean unresponsive?? Freezed? Does your power adapter gives enough power?

Hexagon

Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:02 pm

Main menu can be slow the first minutes, while add-ons are being configured etc. Give it some time and it will come to senses :)

Koenkk

Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:39 pm

Hexagon wrote:Main menu can be slow the first minutes, while add-ons are being configured etc. Give it some time and it will come to senses :)
Yup true

2be

Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:50 am

Anyone got the same problem as I have?
If i play movies etc it works perfectly, but if it is idle for about 30min-1hour it freezes so the menu just stands there and you can se when it stoped because the time is frozen too.
Can you look into this and see if it's a common thing? or if it's just me?
//Tobbe

MothBox

Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:01 am

2be wrote:Anyone got the same problem as I have?
If i play movies etc it works perfectly, but if it is idle for about 30min-1hour it freezes so the menu just stands there and you can se when it stoped because the time is frozen too.
Can you look into this and see if it's a common thing? or if it's just me?
//Tobbe
What's in your screensaver settings in XBMC itself? Is it set to dim the screen, shutdown, hibernate? The system doesn't like to shutdown when selected by the user so it could be hanging as its trying to go into standby or shutdown after a period of being idle.

Hofie

Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:56 am

Xbian (0.4.2) starts quick but it Freezed, after hitting some navigation buttons. Xbian 0.3.0 on the same SD Card din't Freeze!
Is that caused by the main menue? Installed Xbian 0.4.2 a few times, allways the same problem...

Koenkk

Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:17 am

Hofie wrote:Xbian (0.4.2) starts quick but it Freezed, after hitting some navigation buttons. Xbian 0.3.0 on the same SD Card din't Freeze!
Is that caused by the main menue? Installed Xbian 0.4.2 a few times, allways the same problem...
XBian 0.4.2 has higher overlock settings, try reducing them. You could also try to use a better power adapter

2be

Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:59 am

MothBox wrote:What's in your screensaver settings in XBMC itself? Is it set to dim the screen, shutdown, hibernate? The system doesn't like to shutdown when selected by the user so it could be hanging as its trying to go into standby or shutdown after a period of being idle.
I had the standard settings, I think it was dim?
I thought of that to, so I tested to change to anotherone, tried the picture-one whats it called.
but still the same. the whole thing freezes after a while

Is there a shutdown or hibernate option somewhere? if so, I'm not sure if its on or off? please tell me where to find this option

HiggleBottom

Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:50 pm

Koenkk wrote:
Are you stilll encountering this problem in XBian 0.4.2?
Yes. I downloaded 0.4.2 twice, flashed it to my SD Card using an Intergral SDHC card reader as I do not have one built in, and I got exactly the same results. I used the windisk32binary tool to write it. :cry:

Hofie

Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:05 pm

What are save settings:
arm_freq=?
gpu_freq=?

Are there more settings to adjust?

HiggleBottom

Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:06 pm

Does anyone else get this error? :?:

Wolfram23

Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:46 pm

This doesn't seem to work with QEMU emulation. Just goes to the terminal. Not sure if I missed a step...

onetootreefor

Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:43 pm

is there anyway we can have some sort of update files to just update our current sd images instead of having to re-write the card everytime? I know its simple to backup my settings and stuff, but writting 2gb cards every update could be damaging to the card and not to mention unnecessary and time consuming? I'm not complaining as you have built a very responsive and fluid build with almost 0 issues!

Koenkk

Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:55 pm

onetootreefor wrote:is there anyway we can have some sort of update files to just update our current sd images instead of having to re-write the card everytime? I know its simple to backup my settings and stuff, but writting 2gb cards every update could be damaging to the card and not to mention unnecessary and time consuming? I'm not complaining as you have built a very responsive and fluid build with almost 0 issues!
Not yet this is something for the future

Koenkk

Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:56 pm

Hofie wrote:What are save settings:
arm_freq=?
gpu_freq=?

Are there more settings to adjust?
arm_freq=800
core_freq=450

look at http://elinux.org/RPi_config.txt for more information about the config.txt

Mr.Dave

Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:01 pm

onetootreefor wrote:is there anyway we can have some sort of update files to just update our current sd images instead of having to re-write the card everytime? I know its simple to backup my settings and stuff, but writting 2gb cards every update could be damaging to the card and not to mention unnecessary and time consuming? I'm not complaining as you have built a very responsive and fluid build with almost 0 issues!

Which are the files to backup for setttings and addons etc ?

Mr.Dave

Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:26 pm

Can't edit last post, but meant to ask, is it possible to install a Desktop Environment with XBian ?

And be able to choose at the Ctrl + C timeout which one to start ?

Powerphil

Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:32 pm

Hi, I installed xbian tonight, and it's super fast, BUT I do find it crashes a lot. I can be navigating through settings and it crashes or freezes, or adding some video add one, and it freezes. Any ideas? I don't want to reflash the image as I have it setup just as I want it

P

Mr.Dave

Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:40 pm

Powerphil wrote:Hi, I installed xbian tonight, and it's super fast, BUT I do find it crashes a lot. I can be navigating through settings and it crashes or freezes, or adding some video add one, and it freezes. Any ideas? I don't want to reflash the image as I have it setup just as I want it

P
reduce the overclock

ssh into the Pi with PuTTY

nano /boot/config.txt

edit the overclock and hit Ctrl+X then Y then Enter to save, then reboot

Hofie

Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:53 pm

Can I edit the file also with the build in Windows editor? Or is the file then for corrupted. I am asking, because thats what I have done! Well, I will edit now with nano! I hope that works...

Mr.Dave

Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:24 pm

Hofie wrote:Can I edit the file also with the build in Windows editor? Or is the file then for corrupted. I am asking, because thats what I have done! Well, I will edit now with nano! I hope that works...
If windows will read the card you can, I use linux to edit directly though as windows only sees a small partition :)

Powerphil

Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:26 pm

Ok. Can you access the file on the Sd card on a mac?

Mr.Dave

Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:29 pm

Powerphil wrote:Ok. Can you access the file on the Sd card on a mac?
If the mac can read the file system you should be able to, not sure what it is, maybe EXT4 ?

SSH from Mac to Pi should work

If not, try booting with a live linux cd like ubuntu and edit from there

2be

Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:19 pm

Well, I don't know about "Xbian", but from a raspbian (previous to the last official image), it only took:

Update
Run the rpi-update script
Add the "smsc95xx.turbo_mode=N" parameter to /boot/cmdline.txt

After that, it started working like magic, I have a current uptime of more than 10 days without a single crash. The last boot of my rpi was to apply some new updates though, so I'd say that it's been working for two weeks with no problems at all.
I found this info on: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... &start=150

this may help me with a problem of the PI freezes when I use transmission (torrents)
but i'm affraid that if i use the update function I heard that it would f*ck up xbian and xbmc?
so is there another way?

Return to “Media centres”