Koenkk

Re: XBian - Small, Fast, Lightweight XBMC solution

Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:20 pm

redriddick wrote:Downloading now so will keep you posted!!!!!
Thanks! I really like all the feedback everyone is giving!

justinvoelker

Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:26 pm

Inaccessible Rail wrote:One other thing, which I doubt is specific to XBian as I had it with OpenElec as well but I may as well ask here. Does anyone else find their Pi pushing itself as the dominant AV channel? If I have my Pi switched on, my TV automatically switches to the HDMI AV channel for it, but then whenever I try to change to something else (like my Sky box), it switches back to the Pi AV channel. I've had my TV for over 5 years and nothing else I have ever connected has done this. I have to unplug the Pi if I want to watch anything else, which is not ideal as I'd like to leave it on all the time. It didn't always happen, but I don't know if it's a recent change of power supply, or me using newer builds of XBMC. Anyone else had this happen? Or know if there is a generic TV setting that covers the automatic AV switching?
Is this TV a Samsung? If so, does it have Anynet? I have a Samsung TV with Anynet which allows a Samsung DVD player to turn on the TV and switch to the appropriate input. It also allows you to control the TV and player with one remote. I have a feeling that that either the Pi or XBMC is making itself look like an Anynet device so that the TV will turn on and/or switch inputs when the Pi is trying to display something.

This is coming in quite handy while I am constantly testing, rebooting, unplugging, and plugging in my Pi, but I could see this being an issue in the future when I just use it as a media center, not a toy.

2be

Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:05 pm

I'm trying to install drivers for my wifi-dongle (dlink dw121) but when i try typing make it says make is not installed, so i apt-get install make..
but when I then "make" i get:
make: *** /lib/modules/3.2.21+/build: No such file or directory. Stop.

what am I doing wrong? am I missing something?

Koenkk

Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:18 pm

2be wrote:I'm trying to install drivers for my wifi-dongle (dlink dw121) but when i try typing make it says make is not installed, so i apt-get install make..
but when I then "make" i get:
make: *** /lib/modules/3.2.21+/build: No such file or directory. Stop.

what am I doing wrong? am I missing something?
Does "sudo mkdir /lib/modules/3.2.21+/build" solves this problem?

2be

Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:24 pm

nope, then i get:
mkdir: cannot create directory `/lib/modules/3.2.21+/build': File exists
:P

Koenkk

Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:37 pm

2be wrote:nope, then i get:
mkdir: cannot create directory `/lib/modules/3.2.21+/build': File exists
:P
Whats inside this directory or is it a file?

Beanz

Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:10 pm

Got mine working :)

Not sure if its a power issue but after removing my memory stick and then rebooting it shows eth0 in the last part of the bootup. I rebooted and immediately noticed that the Date in XBMC was now correct (was 1970 or similar before) and the time had changed to 24Hr clock.
I went into System info and next to network it now shows the IP my pi had under squeeze/openelec. :)

Just added one of my PC share folders and am currently playing a vid, will see how it goes when i stop it/ try to get to homescreen etc. looking good :D

2be

Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:15 pm

the 3.2.21+ is a folder containing:
build modules.dep.bin modules.seriomap
doesnt say that much to me :/

Koenkk

Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:56 pm

For the ones who want to get wireless working, there is a very intresting thread on the xbian forum ( how to -> get wlan up and running) good luck with it!

Inaccessible Rail

Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:04 pm

justinvoelker wrote:
Inaccessible Rail wrote:One other thing, which I doubt is specific to XBian as I had it with OpenElec as well but I may as well ask here. Does anyone else find their Pi pushing itself as the dominant AV channel? If I have my Pi switched on, my TV automatically switches to the HDMI AV channel for it, but then whenever I try to change to something else (like my Sky box), it switches back to the Pi AV channel. I've had my TV for over 5 years and nothing else I have ever connected has done this. I have to unplug the Pi if I want to watch anything else, which is not ideal as I'd like to leave it on all the time. It didn't always happen, but I don't know if it's a recent change of power supply, or me using newer builds of XBMC. Anyone else had this happen? Or know if there is a generic TV setting that covers the automatic AV switching?
Is this TV a Samsung? If so, does it have Anynet? I have a Samsung TV with Anynet which allows a Samsung DVD player to turn on the TV and switch to the appropriate input. It also allows you to control the TV and player with one remote. I have a feeling that that either the Pi or XBMC is making itself look like an Anynet device so that the TV will turn on and/or switch inputs when the Pi is trying to display something.

This is coming in quite handy while I am constantly testing, rebooting, unplugging, and plugging in my Pi, but I could see this being an issue in the future when I just use it as a media center, not a toy.
It's a Sharp LCD TV. The setting I thought would work didn't in the end. My HDMI ports are AV5 (Pi) and AV6 (Sky box). When the Pi is powered on AV5 changes name to 'Raspberr' and switches to that channel. Pulling the plug each time doesn't work for me as I find it doesn't restart properly if not shut down correctly. At the moment I'm pulling out the HDMI cable when I'm not using the Pi. I guess getting a cheap HDMI switcher would work better as a possible solution.

On a different subject, is there a way to upgrade Xbian instead of writing the new image?

Koenkk

Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:20 pm

Inaccessible Rail wrote:
justinvoelker wrote:

It's a Sharp LCD TV. The setting I thought would work didn't in the end. My HDMI ports are AV5 (Pi) and AV6 (Sky box). When the Pi is powered on AV5 changes name to 'Raspberr' and switches to that channel. Pulling the plug each time doesn't work for me as I find it doesn't restart properly if not shut down correctly. At the moment I'm pulling out the HDMI cable when I'm not using the Pi. I guess getting a cheap HDMI switcher would work better as a possible solution.

On a different subject, is there a way to upgrade Xbian instead of writing the new image?
Not yet, it's something for the future

Hofie

Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:42 pm

Unbenannt.jpg
Unbenannt.jpg (23.01 KiB) Viewed 5294 times
How should I setup a 32GB SD Card?

To write data on the card, I prefer to do that with my Windows PC. I don't know if that works, if not, then over Samba.

Koenkk

Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:23 pm

Use a gparted live disc

mcscruff

Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:27 pm

Hofie wrote:
Unbenannt.jpg
How should I setup a 32GB SD Card?

To write data on the card, I prefer to do that with my Windows PC. I don't know if that works, if not, then over Samba.
I would also use gparted (as i dont use windows) then move the swap to the end and resize the ext4 to use all the unallocated space

justinvoelker

Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:16 am

Is anyone using a Logitech K400 keyboard/touchpad? I seem to be having some issues with mine not being recognized. I will boot my Pi, it won't work so I pull the power plug, plug it back it, then it might work. If it doesn't, I keep pulling the power plug and re-plugging it in until it works.

Seems I have this same sort of issue with ethernet sometimes. Power up, doesn't recognize network, "reboot" and it does.

Any ideas? On a side note, is there a correct (or at least better) way to shutdown my Pi/xbmc?

Hexagon

Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:00 am

Justin: Maybe your RPi doesn't have enought power? Have you tried disconnecting the wifi and se if the keyboard runs fine? In that case you should use a powered usb hub to get some more juice to it.

daitotsu

Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:51 pm

getting a cheap HDMI switcher would work better as a possible solution.
I can recommend http://www.ebuyer.com/230497-xenta-blac ... 80p-lu606m this is an ac powered switch so you wont have issues with the switch drawing power from the pi... my remote didn't work but since it auto switches & has a manual override button its all good and for £10 def aint bad. :D :D

-Paul

MothBox

Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:57 pm

justinvoelker wrote:Is anyone using a Logitech K400 keyboard/touchpad? I seem to be having some issues with mine not being recognized. I will boot my Pi, it won't work so I pull the power plug, plug it back it, then it might work. If it doesn't, I keep pulling the power plug and re-plugging it in until it works.
I've had on and off the same problem. Keyboard seems to stop working the start again. Put it into the USB hub instead of directly into the Pi and I've had no further problems... so far.

daitotsu

Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:58 pm

[quote="justinvoelker"]Is anyone using a Logitech K400 keyboard/touchpad? I seem to be having some issues with mine not being recognized.[/quote]

Are you using an ac powered hub to run the wireless transceiver? If you're not thats prob the source of your woes, as the pi just cant squeeze out enough juice to the usb.

Can recommend http://www.ebuyer.com/259358-xenta-7-po ... ed-n-uh702

(no i dont work for xenta ;) ;) just cheap and reliable equipment )
-Paul

justinvoelker

Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:41 pm

MothBox wrote:I've had on and off the same problem. Keyboard seems to stop working the start again. Put it into the USB hub instead of directly into the Pi and I've had no further problems... so far.
Thanks MothBox, daitotsu, and Hexagon for the same suggestion. I don't have a spare hub sitting around but will get one on order and see if this fixes the issue which it seems like it will.

batteoui

Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:28 am

Just discovered Xbian today. Download v 0.42, burned it to the SD card and tryyed it.

All I can say is Wow ! I was first impressed by how fast Xbian loaded itself and how quick it showed the main GUI. Then the second good surprise is how fast it is navigating through the menus, I was used to relative slowness on Raspbmc but Xbian is by far the best and fastest experience I had on RPi and XBMC.

I want to thank the developper for the excellent work he's done and wish to see further and regular improvement.
I highly recommand for anyone to try Xbian. I'm sure you'll adopt it once you try it

HiggleBottom

Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:13 am

Here's more detail about what I posted earlier:

Code: Select all

No file system could mount root, tried: ext4
Kernel panic - Not syncing ; VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block
And then at the end of it all:

VFS : Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block (179,2)
kdb (current =0xc784ac80, pid 1) due to keyboard entry
Sorry if there has all ready been a post about this.

Koenkk

Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:59 am

HiggleBottom wrote:Here's more detail about what I posted earlier:

No file system could mount root, tried: ext4
Kernel panic - Not syncing ; VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block
And then at the end of it all:

VFS : Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block (179,2)
kdb (current =0xc784ac80, pid 1) due to keyboard entry
Sorry if there has all ready been a post about this.
Are you stilll encountering this problem in XBian 0.4.2?

rick19011

Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:46 am

Does XBian fix analogue audio popping problem? I know it's been fixed in raspbmc

Koenkk

Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:52 pm

rick19011 wrote:Does XBian fix analogue audio popping problem? I know it's been fixed in raspbmc
Havent tested it yet, but some say XBian fix this.

Return to “Media centres”