Beanz

Re: XBian - Small, Fast, Lightweight XBMC solution

Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:09 pm

Hi guys, i've backed up my Squeeze/openelec image and installed Xbian 0.4.1 and love how smooth even the movement of the cursor is, but i can't get my network to connect.
It was working fine with the old setup and same lead works fine in my TV but for some reason this release isn't picking it up.
I've deleted all of the lines in the file as mentioned on a previous page and have even tried manually inputting my routers ip address into the SMB settings part of ZMBC and rebooted but no change, if i try to access a through VideoFiles Browse my Windows Samba share it comes up with 'Error 2 : Share not available'
I'm guessing its down to the original bootup where raspbian isn't connecting to the network but it flashes thru so quick to the countdown screen that i don't see what it says. I've gone back to terminal and done ifconfg and that says basically no network.
Any pointers where i can go from here ?? Would love to get this working and hopefully not regualarly freezing when stopping files or clicking Home like openelec did.

Thanks.

Koenkk

Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:10 pm

Fufanu wrote:So first of all, thanks for this great System. It works extremely good on my pi.

But Airplay won´t work in 0.4.1. I could see the raspberry on my Mac in itunes, but it can´t connect to it.
I havent changed anything about airplay in 0.4.1 , did it work with previous versions of xbian?

Koenkk

Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:17 pm

Beanz wrote:Hi guys, i've backed up my Squeeze/openelec image and installed Xbian 0.4.1 and love how smooth even the movement of the cursor is, but i can't get my network to connect.
It was working fine with the old setup and same lead works fine in my TV but for some reason this release isn't picking it up.
I've deleted all of the lines in the file as mentioned on a previous page and have even tried manually inputting my routers ip address into the SMB settings part of ZMBC and rebooted but no change, if i try to access a through VideoFiles Browse my Windows Samba share it comes up with 'Error 2 : Share not available'
I'm guessing its down to the original bootup where raspbian isn't connecting to the network but it flashes thru so quick to the countdown screen that i don't see what it says. I've gone back to terminal and done ifconfg and that says basically no network.
Any pointers where i can go from here ?? Would love to get this working and hopefully not regualarly freezing when stopping files or clicking Home like openelec did.

Thanks.
You could try disabling the firewall on the samba computer , for the blackbars you may have to add something to you config.txt , search on google : elinux config.txt , its a wiki with all availbe things you can put in the config.txt

mathewjenkinson

Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:34 pm

mcscruff wrote:will you be adding lirc to a future build?
You can always install yourself:

apt-get install lirc lirc-modules-source

:)

Koenkk

Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:19 pm

mathewjenkinson wrote:
mcscruff wrote:will you be adding lirc to a future build?
You can always install yourself:

apt-get install lirc lirc-modules-source

:)
Can anyone confirm this works? Will probably be included in a new build then! ( if it doesnt decrease the performance)

schaum

Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:29 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to install XBian 0.4.1. Wrote image to a 4Gb SD Card but when it boots on the R-Pi it complains about i/o read errors (seems like SD card is faulty). I have tried writing image for XBian 0.3 with the same result. However, OpenELEC image works correctly on this SD Card.

Do I need to write de XBian image to a specific size SD Card? Can't really get any more SD cards until tomorrow (Sunday - shops closed :mrgreen: )

mcscruff

Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:38 pm

i have already installed it, but it was more of a suggestion as it is a great inclusion for a dedicated media distro :)

Koenkk

Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:49 pm

schaum wrote:Hi,

I'm trying to install XBian 0.4.1. Wrote image to a 4Gb SD Card but when it boots on the R-Pi it complains about i/o read errors (seems like SD card is faulty). I have tried writing image for XBian 0.3 with the same result. However, OpenELEC image works correctly on this SD Card.

Do I need to write de XBian image to a specific size SD Card? Can't really get any more SD cards until tomorrow (Sunday - shops closed :mrgreen: )
Verry strange , never heard of this issue. I think its really due to your sd card or raspberry pi

schaum

Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:52 pm

Koenkk wrote:
schaum wrote:Hi,

Verry strange , never heard of this issue. I think its really due to your sd card or raspberry pi
Yes, it is strange, specially because OpenELEC boots fine using the same SD card and the same R-Pi.

Tomorrow I will buy another SD card and see what happens.

In the meantime, all other ideas are wellcome. Do I need a specific size SD card to write the XBian image?

Thanks for the support!

Koenkk

Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:13 pm

Minimal 2gb sd card is required for xbian

Beanz

Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:50 pm

Koenkk wrote:
Beanz wrote:Hi guys, i've backed up my Squeeze/openelec image and installed Xbian 0.4.1 and love how smooth even the movement of the cursor is, but i can't get my network to connect.

Thanks.
You could try disabling the firewall on the samba computer , for the blackbars you may have to add something to you config.txt , search on google : elinux config.txt , its a wiki with all availbe things you can put in the config.txt
Thanks but i never actually mentioned any blackbars ?? But tried the firewall to no avail, didn't think it would as its not even recognising my router and seems , more like an issue on initial bootup than in general connection of XBMC.
Is there an SMB.conf file instaled as there was on openelec ? if so maybe theres a setting in there thats now correct, although again i think it would need to connect to the network on bootup and assign an IP address before any of that came into use.

Seems a real shame as most of it looked good, may have to just try installing Raspbmc and see if that has same issues, else its back to my original setup and the problems that came with that :(

Is there a batch file or similar that runs where i can stop it from clearing the screen before it gives the option of CTRL-C to got to terminal then hopefuly i can see any messages at the end of bootup regarding the network connection ?

Koenkk

Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:40 pm

/etc/profile

nugget

Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:13 pm

I've been trying 0.4.1 and my impressions so far are mixed.

Video playback is good. Neither Raspbmc or OpenElec allowed me to load and play certain files off my network (the Pi is connected by ethernet to a wireless bridge) but they played flawlessly with XBian.

However I often have massive pauses when opening menus (for example, it took about 1 minute to open the settings menu after first boot). Other times menus open almost instantly.

I have also not been able to boot XBian more than once. The second boot always fails, at the moment the last two lines when it stops say:

"unable to mount root FS on unknown block(179,2)"
"?ring kbd (current=0c784ac80, pid 1) due to Keyboard Entry"

(the start of the second line is cut off by the edge of the screen,)

When I put my SD card into my Linux computer the larger partition is just listed as 'unknown' and doesn't mount, so the only solution is to format the SD card and rewrite the image every time I want to boot XBian!

Koenkk

Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:16 pm

This issue has never been reported before so I cant help you with it :(

Beanz

Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:46 pm

Koenkk wrote:/etc/profile
Thanks, delteted the CLEAR command and now it stops with all the info on screen.

The difference to this than with squeeze tho is that with squeeze the last thing listed on bootup is the network config stating eht0 info and what the ip address of the pi is, on this i don't get any of that info. Unfortunately i know so little about linux that i haven't a clue where to start trying to sort it.

nugget

Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:01 pm

I just had another go with a freshly written image. As usual the first boot is ok, but XBian seemed to freeze straight away (or was failing to recognise inputs), so I reset the power and now it hangs on booting. This time it says:

"C: Attempted to kill init!
?ing kdb (current=0xc784ac80, pid 1) due to Keyboard Entry"

Don't know what that means but there is no keyboard plugged in. This time I am able to mount both partitions of the SD card properly in Linux on my PC but the boot log file seems to be empty.

Koenkk

Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:33 pm

Try without the overclock settings , just remove config.txt located in /boot/

nugget

Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:42 pm

Koenkk wrote:Try without the overclock settings , just remove config.txt located in /boot/
Thanks for the suggestion but I don't think it's anything to do with the overclock settings because I can run the latest build of OpenElec fine with the following settings (with the same Pi and SD card):

arm-freq 900
sdram-freq 450
gpu-freq 350

I've wiped XBian off my SD card for now (only have two to play with) but will look forward to see how XBian develops with future versions.

MarkDavies

Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:37 am

Installed it on to a Sandisk 8GB card (see http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sandisk-8GB-Sec ... B000VUVA62), and it worked straight out of the box.
Works very well, just need to find a suitable wifi adapter (probably go for the Edimax) and then will be installing one these behind each of my TVs.
Also, installed XBMC remote contol on my Andriod phone and iPad so no need for keyboard and mouse attached to raspi. Even Airplay works (although only Video/Audio, not audio only)
Well impress, excellent job.

redriddick

Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:48 am

nugget wrote:
Koenkk wrote:Try without the overclock settings , just remove config.txt located in /boot/
Thanks for the suggestion but I don't think it's anything to do with the overclock settings because I can run the latest build of OpenElec fine with the following settings (with the same Pi and SD card):

arm-freq 900
sdram-freq 450
gpu-freq 350

I've wiped XBian off my SD card for now (only have two to play with) but will look forward to see how XBian develops with future versions.
Hi Guys,
I can confirm what nugget said as i am now getting the same error with regards the keyboard entry after second boot.

HiggleBottom

Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:58 am

Hi!

Whenever I try to load Xbian in my pi, I get a kernel panic: it's some sort of : unable to mount root partion ( I will get a more detailed description later, sorry! ) If anyone can help, I will be so grateful!
P.S : I know it is a kernel panic cos it says kernel panic! I'm not that experienced with Linux!

Mr.Dave

Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:16 pm

I've rebooted and shutdown my Pi running 0.4.1 loads of times and it boots without any errors fine

I wonder how are people shutting down? I use PuTTY from my Windows machine SSH> shutdown -h now

Using the menu in xbmc doesn't shutdown fully at all

Koenkk

Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:57 pm

Mr.Dave wrote:I've rebooted and shutdown my Pi running 0.4.1 loads of times and it boots without any errors fine

I wonder how are people shutting down? I use PuTTY from my Windows machine SSH> shutdown -h now

Using the menu in xbmc doesn't shutdown fully at all
Just pull off the power

Koenkk

Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:30 pm

XBian 0.4.2 is out! http://www.xbian.org

redriddick

Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:03 pm

Downloading now so will keep you posted!!!!!

Return to “Media centres”