timmyj

Re: XBian - Small, Fast, Lightweight XBMC solution

Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:49 am

i think we are missing a kernel module or something for the ethernet in the latest version? any way to manually load it?

hmx

Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:55 am

...same issue with 0.4 ...no network connection
0.3 works great, but reboot and shutdown from within xbmc don't work.

Koenkk

Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:19 am

My bad about networking, to fix it delete all lines in file '/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules'

Koenkk

Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:55 am

XBian 0.4.1 will be pushed out asap (today) to fix this issue!

MothBox

Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:09 am

I keep getting a problem when I start the system for a second time. It appears to be related to the USB keyboard but I'm not sure what the problem is.

The system hangs on a process (see attached image).

Any ideas whats causing this?
Attachments
2012-08-04 14.59.19.jpg
2012-08-04 14.59.19.jpg (52.71 KiB) Viewed 7926 times

dikonist

Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:33 am

ddg wrote:My Ethernet has the same problem
timmyj wrote:im extremely impressed with the responsiveness of this solution
however im trying to use XBian 0.4
and ethernet is not detecting e.g. under network information under xbmc it says link not connected, even though the LEDs are lit and my switch is showing active link

i just checked ifconfig output from shell and theres no eth0 detected?
Look at the XBbian.org site, there is a solution available for this problem:
"If network/internet is not working, delete all lines in file ‘/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules’"

Additional there will be a fix available today!
"Will release 0.4.1 today with the networking fix , sorry!!!"

Still love XBian, both the responsiveness of XBian as well as the responsiveness of the devs, keep up the good work!

TheRealEdwin

Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:38 am

Is there a repo setup for Xbian so we can just ssh into Xbian and do something like apt-get update/upgrade to get the latest version? With the speed you are cranking these out, we may need something like this.

burton999

Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:39 am

Hey there. I had to register to first of all congratulate you on this and to say thanks. I have it running on my Pi just as I would like with nfs etc and it is great.

Has anyone tried any different xbmc themes? If so could someone compile a list of ones that are known to work. I tried one I liked but it didn't work. I see someone else posted that only certain 'lightweight' themes will work so I'm trying to find out which ones.

Thanks once again

jessyjones

Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:10 am

I have been using Quartz and Rapier and they both appear to work fine on Xbian since they're much lighter than other skins.

I have a question about 0.4 : how do you access /etc/dev to fix the ethernet bug ? I used to ssh into the pi whenever I wanted to change something but without network I'm lost on how to do it ...

Thanks again for this great solution !

Koenkk

Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:20 am

jessyjones wrote:I have been using Quartz and Rapier and they both appear to work fine on Xbian since they're much lighter than other skins.

I have a question about 0.4 : how do you access /etc/dev to fix the ethernet bug ? I used to ssh into the pi whenever I wanted to change something but without network I'm lost on how to do it ...

When xbian start up it says something like "Wait 5 seconds to startup or press ctl+c to cancel" if you press ctrl+c it drops back to terminal

The neon skins also works quite nice and I REALLY recommend confluence light (a mod of confluence) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOBSg1B_og0

nforce2

Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:23 am

jessyjones wrote:I have been using Quartz and Rapier and they both appear to work fine on Xbian since they're much lighter than other skins.

You could use CTRL + C during the boot (ie, before Xbian launches) to open the console and type:

nano /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

When the file opens, just erase the lines and save it.

Koenkk, keep up with the awesome work, man ! I had been using Xbian since the 0.2 version and I'm loving it ! By the way, is there a way I could use some addon like Youtube for example ?
I know that might not be the porpuse of this lightweight built, but it would be nice still :)

Again, congrats and thanks for your time and patience with this.

Inaccessible Rail

Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:30 am

I installed 0.3 last night and got NFS working in no time thanks to the quick and easy fix. Then just copied over my existing sources.xml and everything was found.

I'm using Quartz for the skin, although I do find it laggier than with OpenElec when using 'media list 2' to view video lists. I find that often when scrolling through, the fanart for the previous film displays instead of the current one. That can sometimes happen for the next 2-3 films I scroll though.

In terms of playback, I've not had any major problems with 720p but I do still get stuttering on 1080p with DTS. I know that overclocking further has been advised as a solution, but is that really wise? Surely it would reduce the life of the Pi or am I wrong about that?

One other thing, which I doubt is specific to XBian as I had it with OpenElec as well but I may as well ask here. Does anyone else find their Pi pushing itself as the dominant AV channel? If I have my Pi switched on, my TV automatically switches to the HDMI AV channel for it, but then whenever I try to change to something else (like my Sky box), it switches back to the Pi AV channel. I've had my TV for over 5 years and nothing else I have ever connected has done this. I have to unplug the Pi if I want to watch anything else, which is not ideal as I'd like to leave it on all the time. It didn't always happen, but I don't know if it's a recent change of power supply, or me using newer builds of XBMC. Anyone else had this happen? Or know if there is a generic TV setting that covers the automatic AV switching?

Koenkk

Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:13 pm

Inaccessible Rail wrote:I installed 0.3 last night and got NFS working in no time thanks to the quick and easy fix. Then just copied over my existing sources.xml and everything was found.

I'm using Quartz for the skin, although I do find it laggier than with OpenElec when using 'media list 2' to view video lists. I find that often when scrolling through, the fanart for the previous film displays instead of the current one. That can sometimes happen for the next 2-3 films I scroll though.

In terms of playback, I've not had any major problems with 720p but I do still get stuttering on 1080p with DTS. I know that overclocking further has been advised as a solution, but is that really wise? Surely it would reduce the life of the Pi or am I wrong about that?

One other thing, which I doubt is specific to XBian as I had it with OpenElec as well but I may as well ask here. Does anyone else find their Pi pushing itself as the dominant AV channel? If I have my Pi switched on, my TV automatically switches to the HDMI AV channel for it, but then whenever I try to change to something else (like my Sky box), it switches back to the Pi AV channel. I've had my TV for over 5 years and nothing else I have ever connected has done this. I have to unplug the Pi if I want to watch anything else, which is not ideal as I'd like to leave it on all the time. It didn't always happen, but I don't know if it's a recent change of power supply, or me using newer builds of XBMC. Anyone else had this happen? Or know if there is a generic TV setting that covers the automatic AV switching?
I think arm_freq=850 and core_freq=450 isn't to dangerous for your pi. You need a good power adapter to be stable though (1000Ma + should be fine). The AV switching is probably an issue with the rpi hardware or your tv cant help you with that :(

Inaccessible Rail

Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:32 pm

Found the TV setting so not to worry.

Now I've noticed that I'm having a lot of issues with fanart, thumbs and general movie info. Thumbs look very washed out and some fanart is not displaying even when I manually add it within xbmc. Also getting some weird font issues with movie info as shown below:

Edit: Font issue suddenly disappeared, not sure what happened there.

Koenkk

Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:50 pm

Xbian 0.4.1 is out fixing networking issue!! http://www.xbian.org

Mr.Dave

Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:23 pm

Koenkk wrote:Xbian 0.4.1 is out fixing networking issue!! http://www.xbian.org
Just booting now :D

Thanks for the regular updates

Mr.Dave

Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:35 pm

Inaccessible Rail wrote:Could it be here?

http://code.google.com/p/jezzxbmc/downloads/list
Thanks I found it and removed the question from my post

redriddick

Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:15 pm

HI Guys,
First off i would like to say thanks for this,i am cuurently downloading 0.4.1 and will get it going when its done.I am a complete linus noob having always used windows but i am able to put this image on my sd and get it to work.NOw for my question: I have all my media on a htpc upstairs and i want to stream it to the pi.Have no problem there as i can add videos from my shares.The problem is my fanart and thumbnails are sow to load when browsing through movies.My question is:Is there a way to get this moving better i.e put thumnails and media on usb or what can i do???
Thanks again everyone,
Red

Koenkk

Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:12 pm

redriddick wrote:HI Guys,
First off i would like to say thanks for this,i am cuurently downloading 0.4.1 and will get it going when its done.I am a complete linus noob having always used windows but i am able to put this image on my sd and get it to work.NOw for my question: I have all my media on a htpc upstairs and i want to stream it to the pi.Have no problem there as i can add videos from my shares.The problem is my fanart and thumbnails are sow to load when browsing through movies.My question is:Is there a way to get this moving better i.e put thumnails and media on usb or what can i do???
Thanks again everyone,
Red
How much seconds is slow to load? The raspberry pi isn't a fast device so dont expect super speeds ^^

redriddick

Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:34 pm

Thanks for that Koenkk for that.I may be asking a bit too much alright.I have it on fanart view which may be too much for it.Will time it when i have your new version on it.
Thanks again and i will report back when i get a chance!!

mcscruff

Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:22 am

will you be adding lirc to a future build?

masterluke

Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:47 am

As some may remember I was having a problem earlier with messages getting shown in the black bar above 16:9 video. I may be the only one seeing this because of my PAL SDTV setup (its my bedroom tv). This was partially fixed previously by issuing a "clear" and some other commands to disable a flashing cursor. This fixed the issue for 1 XBian release, but on the next release some new messages have appeared. It says "xbmc.bin used greatest stack depth: xxxx bytes left". This seems to disappear eventually, but can be quite annoying. On googling this message I found this...

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-6846192.html

.. which seems to be suggesting that these messages are "nothing to worry about, you've just enabled debugging output in your kernel".

Is this something that can be easily turned off by disabling debugging in our kernel here?

Please excuse me if I am barking up the wrong tree, and this is a small annoyance, but one I am hoping may be easy to fix.

Also - Is anyone else seeing these messages in the black bar above the video? Or is anyone else using PAL SDTV and NOT seeing them?

Cheers

Fufanu

Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:06 pm

So first of all, thanks for this great System. It works extremely good on my pi.

But Airplay won´t work in 0.4.1. I could see the raspberry on my Mac in itunes, but it can´t connect to it.

Return to “Media centres”