hmx

Re: XBian - Small, Fast, Lightweight XBMC solution

Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:30 am

Is there any way to preserve XBMC settings when upgrading to a new release?

pipkato

Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:33 am

Just tried 0.3 quickly and I'm amazed that it's moving ahead so fast and so stably.

For the first time, in any of the XBMC implementations I've tried, AirPlay video and photos worked straight off. Couldn't get AirPlay audio to work from my iPhone or iPad (series 1). I was also able to select and download add-ons like 'YouTube' and 'Vimeo' - also a first.

I still have to work out how/where to put Vimeo/YouTube and movie files, as I'm presuming (as a non-techie newbie) that there is not enough space left on my 2GB SD card.

So my next step is to find a way to connect, either to my iMac or to a plugged in USB stick/drive.

Congratulations to Koenkk for all the incredible work!

mcscruff

Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:53 am

Great work, i have had a little test and it is very smooth.
I am not sure if this is a build issue or something broken somewhere but the official android remote doesnt seem to work. I can connect and play movies etc but the actual remote part seems to be broken.
I have tested the official app and yatse both have this issue but andmote seems to work. Strange

Koenkk

Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:05 am

mcscruff wrote:Great work, i have had a little test and it is very smooth.
I am not sure if this is a build issue or something broken somewhere but the official android remote doesnt seem to work. I can connect and play movies etc but the actual remote part seems to be broken.
I have tested the official app and yatse both have this issue but andmote seems to work. Strange
Probably an issue with the app then for me (iphone) xbmotec and constelation work fine! PS Dont forget to enable the remote settings (system -> settings -> services )

Koenkk

Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:08 am

pipkato wrote:Just tried 0.3 quickly and I'm amazed that it's moving ahead so fast and so stably.

For the first time, in any of the XBMC implementations I've tried, AirPlay video and photos worked straight off. Couldn't get AirPlay audio to work from my iPhone or iPad (series 1). I was also able to select and download add-ons like 'YouTube' and 'Vimeo' - also a first.

I still have to work out how/where to put Vimeo/YouTube and movie files, as I'm presuming (as a non-techie newbie) that there is not enough space left on my 2GB SD card.

So my next step is to find a way to connect, either to my iMac or to a plugged in USB stick/drive.

Congratulations to Koenkk for all the incredible work!
You can try this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DztSRaFyaVE to exapnd your sd card. Audio isnt working this is becuase xmbc doesn't support it yet. Read http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=AirPlay for more information.

Koenkk

Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:09 am

justinvoelker wrote:I'm blown away by how quickly XBian is being developed and released. A new release every day? I love it!

What I'm wondering is how is everyone getting 1080p video to play so well? I ripped a BluRay with DVD Catalyst set to h264 and acc at 1080, yet I have terrible playback video. It looks fine on my computer, but when I put it on an external harddrive and play it through xbmc, it has the pixelated look attached. It is terrible on fast moving scenes, but during slow scenes is far less noticeable.

Please, someone tell me I'm doing something stupid and simple to fix.
Maybe you should try overclocking your raspberry pi a little bit. See http://xbian.blogspot.nl/2012/08/xbian-03-is-out.html for more information.

trondis23

Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:26 am

I was just wondering - where is the download link? I can't find it on the blogspot. I tried version 1 that was linked up at the start of this thread, but that wouldn't boot at all.

Koenkk

Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:32 am

trondis23 wrote:I was just wondering - where is the download link? I can't find it on the blogspot. I tried version 1 that was linked up at the start of this thread, but that wouldn't boot at all.
http://xbian.blogspot.nl/p/download.html

Diaoul

Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:10 am

Is the code available somewhere or did you just packaged precompiled stuff ?
I did some work to get XBMC as a .deb easily here : https://github.com/Diaoul/xbmc-rbp-packaging even if that's still experimental.
Let me know what you think and where improvements could be done, that'd be cool :)

Going to try XBian tonight :)

Koenkk

Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:19 am

Diaoul wrote:Is the code available somewhere or did you just packaged precompiled stuff ?
I did some work to get XBMC as a .deb easily here : https://github.com/Diaoul/xbmc-rbp-packaging even if that's still experimental.
Let me know what you think and where improvements could be done, that'd be cool :)

Going to try XBian tonight :)
I compiled xbmc and the kernel by myself

Mr.Dave

Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:29 am

Enjoying release 0.3, very smooth and fast, I forgot to edit the overclocking settings this time but everything booted and worked fine so whatever was reduced since 0.1 has worked as I couldn't boot without dropping the OC in 0.1 :)

Going to try some HD movies and samples today, trying to play full HD on version 0.1 was a bit of a problem, it would play about 5 seconds then freeze for 2 seconds then continue that pattern

Samples from this site are difficult for it to play without freezing too

http://www.demo-world.eu/trailers/high- ... ailers.php

Khenke

usb 5.1 audio

Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:00 pm

Not sure where to post this question, so if you feel this is the wrong place just point me to the right place.

I'm currently looking in to making a simple XBMC media player and absolutely need analog 5.1 sound out (own a Logitech X-530,5.1 with only analog 5.1) since I don't want to buy new surround sound.

So on to my question: Would a USB 5.1 sound card work?
(not the fake usb sticks with only virtual surround sound on ebay)

For example like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-6-Channel-5 ... 3113wt_952 (Have one of this already)

Or any others like it http://www.amazon.com/GWC-AA1500-Channe ... B0009S9SU6

Or any other cheep solution to get 5.1 analog sound (HDMI->5.1 analog sound?).
Any info on a cheep and small solution that work would be appreciated.

With this a RPi based XBMC with surround sound would be cheap.
And it can do other things like control the light in the room on the start and end of a movie. The potential with ports in and out on a media player is limitless :)
Haven't got my RPi yet to start playing around my self (packaged and shipped, so soon...).

And btw do SD (DivX, Xvid) media play on XBian? (Not often I watch it but it do happen)

Thanks for any help.

Koenkk

Re: usb 5.1 audio

Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:25 pm

Khenke wrote:Not sure where to post this question, so if you feel this is the wrong place just point me to the right place.

I'm currently looking in to making a simple XBMC media player and absolutely need analog 5.1 sound out (own a Logitech X-530,5.1 with only analog 5.1) since I don't want to buy new surround sound.

So on to my question: Would a USB 5.1 sound card work?
(not the fake usb sticks with only virtual surround sound on ebay)

For example like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-6-Channel-5 ... 3113wt_952 (Have one of this already)

Or any others like it http://www.amazon.com/GWC-AA1500-Channe ... B0009S9SU6

Or any other cheep solution to get 5.1 analog sound (HDMI->5.1 analog sound?).
Any info on a cheep and small solution that work would be appreciated.

With this a RPi based XBMC with surround sound would be cheap.
And it can do other things like control the light in the room on the start and end of a movie. The potential with ports in and out on a media player is limitless :)
Haven't got my RPi yet to start playing around my self (packaged and shipped, so soon...).

And btw do SD (DivX, Xvid) media play on XBian? (Not often I watch it but it do happen)

Thanks for any help.
Not all of the video types will play this is due to the limitations of the raspberry pi . See http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/592 for more information. I don't know if the usb sound adapter will work, i use a rpi -> hdmi -> tv -> amplifier -> 5.1 setup.

Diaoul

Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:28 pm

Koenkk wrote:I compiled xbmc and the kernel by myself
So I guess the .img is handmade and if one would want to do the same he would have to compile XBMC and kernel on his own, right? Or do you have a script to do all that stuff on GitHub?
Also, your blog states "Thanks to Memtic.org , for the precompiled XBMC", it's a bit confusing as you said you compiled it by yourself. Hence my questions.

I'm just curious on what's "inside" XBian :)

Mr.Dave

Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:37 pm

onetootreefor wrote:just tried out 0.3 release, and it works really smooth like all others have said, but i have had trouble adding my samba shares. I cant do it through xbmc, but i have to add a separate sources.xml that i have saved from other xbmc releases manually. It wont even pull up ANYTHING in my workgroup if i try through xbian itself.

Did you manage to get this working ?

I can access my Samba share via XBMC > Videos > Files > Files > Add Videos > Browse > Windows Network (SMB) > Workgroup > Samba

justinvoelker

Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:11 pm

Koenkk wrote:
justinvoelker wrote:I'm blown away by how quickly XBian is being developed and released. A new release every day? I love it!

What I'm wondering is how is everyone getting 1080p video to play so well? I ripped a BluRay with DVD Catalyst set to h264 and acc at 1080, yet I have terrible playback video. It looks fine on my computer, but when I put it on an external harddrive and play it through xbmc, it has the pixelated look attached. It is terrible on fast moving scenes, but during slow scenes is far less noticeable.

Maybe you should try overclocking your raspberry pi a little bit. See http://xbian.blogspot.nl/2012/08/xbian-03-is-out.html for more information.
That was actually the first thing I tried :( Set them to 900 and 450 but still had the playback issue. I re-ripped the movie enabling a CRF setting in the ripping software (http://www.tools4movies.com/tips-and-tricks/crf/) which apparently "automatically adjusts the bitrate for whatever is needed for different activity in a movie." So far, with the fast opening scenes, everything appears smooth and fluid.

While it certainly isn't going to be BluRay quality, I think it will suffice for taking my Pi on the go with an external drive for movie storage.

Keep up the amazing work Koenkk, looking forward to the next release

Koenkk

Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:12 pm

Diaoul wrote:
Koenkk wrote:I compiled xbmc and the kernel by myself
So I guess the .img is handmade and if one would want to do the same he would have to compile XBMC and kernel on his own, right? Or do you have a script to do all that stuff on GitHub?
Also, your blog states "Thanks to Memtic.org , for the precompiled XBMC", it's a bit confusing as you said you compiled it by yourself. Hence my questions.

I'm just curious on what's "inside" XBian :)
Oh the precompiled XBMC is used 0.1 and 0.1.1 , 0.2 and 0.3 use xbmc compiled on 31-07

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:35 pm

justinvoelker wrote:What I'm wondering is how is everyone getting 1080p video to play so well? I ripped a BluRay with DVD Catalyst set to h264 and acc at 1080, yet I have terrible playback video. It looks fine on my computer, but when I put it on an external harddrive and play it through xbmc, it has the pixelated look attached. It is terrible on fast moving scenes, but during slow scenes is far less noticeable.

Can you post the mediainfo (http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en) of the problematic clip. Can you produce a small sample (e.g. 100MB) that exhibits the problem and post it somewhere (Dropbox is good for this).
My guess is your clip is not compliant with h264 high profile 4.1. Probably too many reference frames.

justinvoelker

Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:54 pm

dom wrote:
justinvoelker wrote:What I'm wondering is how is everyone getting 1080p video to play so well? I ripped a BluRay with DVD Catalyst set to h264 and acc at 1080, yet I have terrible playback video. It looks fine on my computer, but when I put it on an external harddrive and play it through xbmc, it has the pixelated look attached. It is terrible on fast moving scenes, but during slow scenes is far less noticeable.

Can you post the mediainfo (http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en) of the problematic clip. Can you produce a small sample (e.g. 100MB) that exhibits the problem and post it somewhere (Dropbox is good for this).
My guess is your clip is not compliant with h264 high profile 4.1. Probably too many reference frames.
Thanks for the reply dom. I've posted the mediainfo for my first and second attempts at ripping the movie. I would try to capture a clip of the video issues I am having but the video doesn't exhibit the same issues on my computer, only when being played on the Pi through HDMI.

Also, I recognize that my issues are not necessarily directly related to XBian so if I should take my problems to another thread just let me know and I'll go elsewhere
Attachments
2 mediainfo.png
This is the mediainfo for the better looking video
2 mediainfo.png (45.1 KiB) Viewed 8125 times
1 mediainfo.png
this is the mediainfo for the video with the poor quality
1 mediainfo.png (44.69 KiB) Viewed 8125 times

dom

Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:07 pm

justinvoelker wrote: Thanks for the reply dom. I've posted the mediainfo for my first and second attempts at ripping the movie. I would try to capture a clip of the video issues I am having but the video doesn't exhibit the same issues on my computer, only when being played on the Pi through HDMI.
I just want the encoded file. Can you encode a new mp4 file (using the settings that cause problems) but limit its size to 100MB (or its length to 1 minute), and then post that file.

swiffernl

Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:30 pm

mcscruff wrote:Great work, i have had a little test and it is very smooth.
Had the same problem with the app, could play movies but the remote wasn't working. In the official app go to settings > Manage XBMC Hosts > Your connection, press the little arrow to edit the settings and then go to Socket read timeout. Set it to 9000 and the remote should work.

onetootreefor

Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:31 pm

Mr.Dave wrote:
onetootreefor wrote:just tried out 0.3 release, and it works really smooth like all others have said, but i have had trouble adding my samba shares. I cant do it through xbmc, but i have to add a separate sources.xml that i have saved from other xbmc releases manually. It wont even pull up ANYTHING in my workgroup if i try through xbian itself.

Did you manage to get this working ?

I can access my Samba share via XBMC > Videos > Files > Files > Add Videos > Browse > Windows Network (SMB) > Workgroup > Samba
nope never got that working. those are the same steps i take to add my samba shares, but once i click on windows network (SMB) my workgroup doesnt show and i cant go any further. Adding them manually works no problem, and i can access all my shares, but doing it through xbmc doesnt work for me.

justinvoelker

Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:03 pm

dom wrote:I just want the encoded file. Can you encode a new mp4 file (using the settings that cause problems) but limit its size to 100MB (or its length to 1 minute), and then post that file.
dom, here is the dropbox link to a clip with the poor quality video https://www.dropbox.com/s/tqq4hy7bxfdtl ... 20Clip.mp4

It is bad from the beginning and really shows its poor quality between 0:50 and 1:13

dom

Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:51 pm

@justinvoelker
The stream is invalid. Running it through Mts4ea (http://www.testequipmentdepot.com/tektr ... mts4ea.htm) produces:

max_dec_frame_buffering is 5, which exceeds the maximum DPB size of 4 for the current level.
The current frame has an area of 89x50 = 4450 macroblocks. Level 3.1 specifies a maximum of 3600 macroblocks per frame.
num_ref_frames is 5. However Level 3.1 only requires a DPB large enough for 4.04 frames (at the current frame size).
No space in Decoded Picture Buffer. A frame which is still marked as "used for reference" must be discarded in order to continue.
The number of entries in list 0 is smaller than num_ref_idx_l0_active_minus1. List entry 0 will be used in place of the missing entry.

Here is how Mts4ea decodes the video:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3669512/temp/Batman_image.png

I'd imagine if you encoded it with 4 reference frames, or as a 4.1 profile stream, it would play okay.

justinvoelker

Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:36 pm

dom wrote: The stream is invalid.
Here is how Mts4ea decodes the video:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3669512/temp/Batman_image.png
That is exactly what it looks like when I play it through XBMC on my Pi. Looks like I need a better piece of software for ripping my movies that can do it in a more standard-compliant manner--any suggestions?

Thanks for all your help dom.

Return to “Media centres”