econerd

Very disappointed. Lovefilm, iPlayer, 4od etc

Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:59 am

Well so far im very disapointed with the pi. It doesnt do anything I baught it to do. I got it cos my old crt tv wont connect to a computer and I wanted to be able to use lovefilm, bbc iplayer, 4od etc on it. Which apparently it doesnt cos of some stupid plug in that it doesnt support. It also wont use flash so i cant watch anything on it. Does this thing support anything useful? I cant afford a new TV, PS3, Xbox or anything else that has lovefilm, all I have is a Wii and that doesnt support it. Im getting frustrated at getting stuck with things that no-one wants to support and unable to buy anything that does.

Serac

Re: Very disappinted

Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:11 am

Sure it does. As a small, low cost platform, it is an ideal teaching tool for learning about computers and programming. For those that can remember the early days of Mr Sinclair, think of it as a ZX81 on steroids :P

With the all be it limited IO, it can be used for embedded automation applications - Think I2C connected IO, and you could use it to monitor & control your home heating/lighting. Plug sufficient numbers of the boards in to a suitable box, and you could build your self a Beowolf cluster that would out perform Turing's Bombe. The applications a Pi could be used for is limited only by your imagination (and to a certain extent, the hardware).

If all you want is a box to play streaming video, get a TiVo or cheap Atom miniATX box.

khh

Re: Very disappinted

Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:15 am

Most old CRT TVs have either a Composite Video or SCART plug, both of which the Raspberry support (the latter with a converter).

Otherwise there are numerous things you could have your Pi do, everything from acting as a server in your home network to controlling a robot. It's perfect for learning to design electronics that can interface with a computing device, and it's useful for learning programming of many kinds (web/console/assembly/graphics) with a thriving community ready to help at a moments notice. There are of course many other things you could do as well.

If none of this appeals to you in the slightest, give it away to a friend who is interested. It'll earn you lots of good will.

econerd

Re: Very disappointed

Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:20 am

TiVo requires a subscription for which i cant afford but more significantly we dont have virgin connection where I live. It seams as though little will support flash these days but sites still use it.
buying more than one pi isnt possible cos that also requires money, the one I have now was a birthday gift. ive just looked up the other "box" you mention and its just a mother board for normal computers, which as i have said before, my tv has no connection options for. It also costs more than twice as much as the pi.

Ive got it hooked up to the tv fine now, managed to find all the relevant cables. what i meant was the reason for getting the pi was because it would connect to my old CRT TV when no other computer will.
However what I wanted to do with it on my old tv was to be able to watch catch up TV and lovefilm on it, as I have no other way of watching it on my main TV in the lounge as I dont have a console or any other device i can connect to my main TV to watch it. Turns out the pi is just another device that cant do it due to ridiculous plug ins and arguments over weather its open source or not.

Wakey

Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:36 am

Download Raspmbc and install the image on your SD card and that handles IPlayer, 4oD and the likes without a problem through XBMC addons. Lovefilm however will alwaYs be an issue due to the studios concern about DRM atleast until HTML5 gets DRM added to the spec because until then services like Lovefilm and Netflix will keep using Silverlight (unless someone finds a workaround that they release to the community)

Ultimatly however if you bought it for this reason it's your own fault as it was never intended to be a 'Smart TV' box and you should have done some research before getting one as you would have then been fully aware of what it could and couldn't do

bredman

Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:59 am

econerd wrote:Turns out the pi is just another device that cant do it due to ridiculous plug ins and arguments over weather its open source or not.
This is not the limitation. Companies like Lovefilm are very strict on which devices are allowed to connect to their service. This is to stop people running ripping software to make a copy of their films.

If you tell us which country you live in, we can tell you which catchup TV services are available on the Pi in your country.

khh

Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:03 am

econerd wrote:Ive got it hooked up to the tv fine now, managed to find all the relevant cables. what i meant was the reason for getting the pi was because it would connect to my old CRT TV when no other computer will.
Well, that's something.
econerd wrote:However what I wanted to do with it on my old tv was to be able to watch catch up TV and lovefilm on it, as I have no other way of watching it on my main TV in the lounge as I dont have a console or any other device i can connect to my main TV to watch it. Turns out the pi is just another device that cant do it due to ridiculous plug ins and arguments over weather its open source or not.
The lack of MPEG2 is very unfortunate, especially if you live in Britten or another country where software can't be patented. If you have another computer and ethernet in your home, though, it would be possible to rip DVDs on that computer with f.eks. handbrake, and play them from your Raspberry Pi on your CRT TV. It's not an optimal solution by any stretch, but it is possible.

robwriter

Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:16 am

The lack of lovefilm is not a Pi problem - you cannot use Lovefilm on linux at all. Same goes for Sky's offering and NetFlix.

You can download iPlayer and watch it on the Pi using GetIplayer, and all terrestial UK catch up services can be used on XBMC.

mchu6am4

Re: Very disappointed. Lovefilm, iPlayer, 4od etc

Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:53 pm

I must say I'm quite disappointed too at not being able to use netflix as I wanted to get rid of my WD Live HD box thinking I could watch/stream anything that is available through a browser! :shock: :shock: :shock:

JoeDaStudd

Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:02 pm

Firstly (with the mpeg license, didn't really test it out before) I've not had any trouble with 4OD, iPlayer or ITV Player. Install Raspbmc and your pretty much ready to go.
As for Lovefilm, Netflix or any other service that uses Silverlight, blame Microsoft and the service provider.
Microsoft for not supplying or helping to create a Linux version and the service provider (Lovefilm, Netflix, etc) for choosing a limited platform.

Having said that if the Android port works well enough the Android apps might work.

mchu6am4

Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:00 am

I can understand why Microsoft won't licence silverlight as they want people to use crappy Windows instead of superior but free Linux OS's!

On the other hand my WD HD box doesn't support Lovefilm or any other browser based streaming such as 4

akira62

Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:12 am

For Lovefilm, buy a Sony-BD-Player für less the BDP185 will do (or the Settop-Box SMP-N100 or 200), it is Network Compatible, has a normal CRT-Output and can handle Lovefilm very well if the Internetsite ist correct. It is not really expensive but only for Online-Streaming Plattform optimized.

I think in UK the BBC-iPlayer is also an app of the system. 4od I am not really sure about, but I don't think so. But the System has an Youtube Connection so that the 4oD Youtube Channel will work.

teeth_03

Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:31 am

Just one question pretty much sums this up:

What did you expect from a $35 dollar device?

I expected it to stream videos off of my local server, and run an emulator or two. I knew it could do these before i ordered mine...

RaTTuS

Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:36 am

bumping a two month old post is not friendly .. well get more of these
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

eLJay

Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:13 am

teeth_03 wrote: What did you expect from a $35 dollar device?
Exactly what I got, a small cheap hackable system that doesn't run windows and can do most stuff using low power.
:D

It can be clocked under warranty and plays 1080p video and Quake 3 - what more do you want?
:?:

redhawk

Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:40 am

The PI is an educational tool for school and hobbyists it was never designed to be used as a computer substitute or cheap internet streaming HD media player the fact that it can play h.264 without jittering is quite amazing.
As for BBC iPlayer, 4od plugins (and TVCatchup) for XBMC they play pretty well using OpenELEC I can't comment on Lovefilm though never signed up for this service.

While on the subject of XMBC has anyone found a working YouView plugin yet??

Richard S.

djade76

Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:30 pm

Not sure about Lovefilm, as mentioned in previous posts it's limited to machines which don't have a facility to copy - a Pi with the right set up, and a HDD connected could probably be used with a stream catcher. As far as CRT goes, If you want to use obsolete technology, you're gonna have a bad time. Adapters are available to run Pi on a CRT telly, look at CPCfarnell for those.

At the mo, I have XBMC running on 8GBSD on my Pi, with youtube and Iplayer plugins. Using an app called Yatse on my android phone to control the whole thing over wifi, and I'm planning on adding ITV player, and 4OD as well. Looks pretty Gucci controlling the telly with your phone..!

Return to “Media centres”