willshill

Spotify Offline Playback...has this ever been achieved?

Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:37 am

Hi ALL

I want to begin a 'Carputer' project using OSMC but cannot justify beginning the project until I am sure that I can achieve Offline Spotify playback from storage..

I cant find any evidence anywhere of this being achieved on any operating platformusing the RPi...

It seems this guy asked the same question back in July 2014. viewtopic.php?f=41&t=82009

Can anyone shed some light?

topguy

Re: Spotify Offline Playback...has this ever been achieved?

Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:33 pm

Most systems that can stream from Spotify is based on Spotifys own library available here: https://developer.spotify.com/technologies/libspotify/

And I dont think this library has ever supported local cache, it would probably be a big security issue and make it very easy for someone to just dump all the music he wants and never need spotify again.

There is (was?) a open source implementation called despotify, but the developers said they would never implement downloading either.

kingosticks

Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:01 am

Libspotify supports offline mode which you can see if you visit their documentation. However, I'd suggest using the infinitely more usable pyspotify (https://pyspotify.mopidy.com/en/latest/). In either case you'll need a full premium account.

migube

Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:12 am

This sounds promising indeed, did anyone manage to get further getting an offline spotify cached carplayer ? (that would 'refill' his songs via Wifi home :)
tx
migube

kusti8

Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:31 pm

I looked around the documentation and will probably try it, but it looks like if you set a playlist to be available offline, it can sync that. I don't know how long the time limit is before you need to get online. It looks like it needs to be alive to keep the songs. And it will sync all playlist that are supposed to be offline and then you can choose what to play.

But it sounds like it would work, the Pi would just have to be always on. And I'm not sure how long the timeout is. I'll do some tests if I get some time, it's something I've been wanting to try anyway.

And you of course have to have Premium.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

chris30o0

Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:16 pm

Hi,

bumping this since I'm very interested in it.
Also this is the only thread I found where someone actually claims to try it.
Did you get anywhere with it, kusti8?

mrlinus

Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:13 am

chris30o0 wrote:chris30o0
I'm also intending a project where I need to use offline playback for Spotify. Have you hade any luck?

Pyspotify looks like the best option I've found yet.

chris30o0

Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:23 pm

Hi,
Right now I'm using spotify-ripper but it is not what I'd like to have.
It basically just downloads certain playlists (which also takes forever).

mrlinus

Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:57 am

Thanks for your reply.

I see. Guess it uses the "cassette deck" solution. Should I emerge with success I'll try to remember to post it here.

Return to “Media centres”