jurmelius

Rasberry as DreamBox? Network version.

Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:11 pm

Hi.

I suggest a marvellous idea, that is going to be tough: Build a "DreamBox DigiTV Set top box" from Rasberry. Network streaming version anyhow.

I have DreamBox that runs Enigma2 on top of some linux. Can these functionalities, barebones atleast be implemented to Rasberry?

The idea is to connect a USB DVB-T/C/S tuner to Rasperry and offer selected & Decoded .ts mpeg2 stream via network, Not via HDMI! This would be a network digital TV receiver, such as dreambox.

e.g. Xbox Media Center can read DreamBox's Bonquets (channel lists) with tuxbox:// protocoll and hence can stream selected channel via network, so the code is out there. XBMC could be the UI for this.

My Dream is to turn Rasberry into such device, where Rasberry runs as a screenless server as digiTV server. Should be enough power to do this.

Would be coool. :D

yobneb

Re: Rasberry as DreamBox? Network version.

Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:07 pm

I'm very interested in porting enigma2 for raspberry pi.
There would be great possiblities for such a device.

pandapi

Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:17 pm

have you considered tvheadend running on raspian?

jurmelius

Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:30 am

Tvheadend sounds to be actually great possibility.
This system provides webpage based UI for controlling it.. ok.

TuxBox:// support would be great in order to list tuned channels... Again leaning thowards XBMC as UI (xbmc is now on almost every platform..).

jurmelius

Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:25 am

Has anyone succesfully been able to install and use this Tvheadend with Rasberry?
What USB tuners did one use? What USB tuners are "supported" with linux world?

wAlex

Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:57 pm

Hi,
i think the problem will be to decode mpeg2, and all sd channel are in mpeg2 at least on my dreambox.
I could not be able to use tuxbox on xbmc with the raspberry (xbmc restart when you try to browse channel list), but there is an addon to stream channel from dreambox to xbmc.

jurmelius

Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:23 am

Well, streaming from Dreambox (gstreamer) does not decode the video, just demuxes the wanted .ts stream from the main, so this is lightweight and surely Raspberry has the power to do so fluently.

There is nothing wrong with Win32 XBMC Eden tuxbox protocoll. You don't need any python plugin to show DreamBox's bouquets and from there start the streaming prosess. Has been working flawlessly for me for many years now.

With Rasberry XBMC there obivously seems to be a problem, a bug. ;)

jurmelius

Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:33 am

LineCorrection now:
The idea is not to use Rasberry Pi as FrontEnd for digital television reception (DVB-T/S/C) like XBMC, but to act as screenless DreamBox, thus serving bouquets and streams via network, using pluged Tuners.

Arcain

Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:02 am

jurmelius wrote:Well, streaming from Dreambox (gstreamer) does not decode the video, just demuxes the wanted .ts stream from the main, so this is lightweight and surely Raspberry has the power to do so fluently.
It's not as lightweight as you think. I'm trying to get my DVB-T tuner to work on 2 distos already. On Raspbian i get a lot of errors during stream, buffering every 3-5 seconds and artifacts on the screen like when there's a week signal. On ArchLinux it works a bit better since it buffers every about 25-30 seconds, but the arficats are still there. Tvheadend serves as backend here, OpenElec HTPC with XBMC and frontend. Same tuner works perfectly on that HTPC next to my Pi with no artifacts or buffering. My Telly shows 100/100 singal quality/strength, HTPC 39/90 for some reason, tvheadend as backend for Pi for some reason doesn't show it at all, but on Raspbian i also got 39/90 so there shouldn't be any problem related with signal strength. Signal here is also coded in MPEG4 (h264) so even if Pi had to decode it it shouldn't be a problem at all. I'm using RTL2832U based stick with custom driver (the same driver is used in OpenElec on HTPC next to) on 3.1.9 kernel compiled to support DVB-USB. I'm yet to find out if it'll be the same with MythTv as backend but doubt if it'll change anything. Pi CPU usage during both recording or streaming to one client is at 25% which is a bit high, but still leaves room for other stuff running in background. Not sure if it's software, my custom kernel or hardware related. DVB stick also gets a bit hot after a while on both distos.

jurmelius

Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:12 am

Great reply, thank you for contributing! :D

yobneb

Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:53 am

Maybe you should have a look at http://www.minidvblinux.de/forum/index. ... 63fcd9e953

But it's german...

Arcain

Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:24 pm

From what i saw they have some problems with starting the kernel on Pi and moving to Raspbian. It'll take them a while to recompile all the packages and make it semi-usable. Might be worth checking out later.

Arcain

Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:44 pm

Managed to get MythTV to work. Can't say it was a pleasure since it's horrible to configure, especially with X over SSH being damn slow. Sadly, it's even worse that with TvHeadend. Pi CPU is at 100% most of the time, sharing between MythTV and MySQL server, swap on SD card (10MB/s write speed) doesn't help either. The stream i recorded looks worse, artifacts during playback, sound cracks and speeds once in a while, none would like to watch it. Maybe MySQL on another computer would help a bit, but it's still no go and that's only SD signal (average 2Mb/s).

I'm out of ideas here, still not sure if it's my kernel settings, the driver or just Pi being too slow or has too many issues with USB. Maybe my reception (about 40km away from transmitter) is that bad even tho it works perfectly fine on x86 HTPC with the same tuner and TV. For sure it's not really related to backend software. It might still be worth trying on different tuner/antena and TvHeadend, i'm giving up with mine for now.

Arcain

Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:57 am

Did one more try since even routers with OpenWRT/DDWRT are able to stream DVB properly. This time i used MuMuDVB as backend. Surprisingly most of the issues i faced before are non-existant here. Sounds perfect, there are still some artifacts, but there are very rare, doesn't buffer at all. Stream plays fine on VLC and XBMC, mplayer can't handle it. CPU usage at Pi is at 30-40%. Problem is that MuMuDVB isn't a PVR so you have to use another software. It can be done by setting MuMu to stream as multicast and add those channels in IPTV tab in TvHeadend, but it's pumps up CPU usage on Pi up to 80-90% and we're on buffering and arfifacts again. Maybe it is software related after all.

cubii

Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:56 am

i really like the ideo of using the pi as a dvb-X mulsticast streamer. My cabel-connection is not in the same room as my HTPC, and i dont want to use cabels for the connection. Please get ist to work an post the solution / updates here!

Arcain

Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:21 pm

It depends on distro you're using and goals you'd like to achieve.

If you're using ArchLinux and got a compatibile tuner, then it might work almost out of the box. ArchLinux kernel is build with support for DVB with modules for all the hardware supported by kernel. Otherwise, you'll have to find driver for your tuner and install (compile) it manually. If you're using different distro like Raspbian, you'll have to recompile your kernel to enable DVB-USB support and your driver first.

Now, if you just want to stream live tv you can install MuMuDVB http://mumudvb.braice.net/mumudrupal/node/25 (has to be beta one) and create a config like that:

Code: Select all

freq=562
multicast=1
unicast=0
port_http=1234
ip_http=0.0.0.0
sap=0
card=0
autoconfiguration=2
multicast_ttl=1
timeout_no_diff=100
dvr_buffer_size=40
This is for single mux on 562MHz frequency. It'll stream those channels as multicast on 239.100.1.0.239.100.1.1, 239.100.1.2, 239.100.1.3 and so on, one IP per channel on port 1234. Streams should be played fine by VLC and XBMC.

If you need PVR you'll have to find another software. I'm currently trying to find out if VDR is able to do the job. It works fine so far if you're watching a stream. It artifacts a lof if you're recording one at the same time. VDR is quite unstable and segfaults often. Can't even check if HD channels works since it segfaults right on the start. It's a pain in the ass to config and compile it correctly as well.

You might also try tvheadend (compile from GIT) if you got a stable and strong singal. Might work better than in my case.

tpires

Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:59 pm

jurmelius wrote: The idea is to connect a USB DVB-T/C/S tuner to Rasperry and offer selected & Decoded .ts mpeg2 stream via network, Not via HDMI! This would be a network digital TV receiver, such as dreambox.
Hi!

For the moment I get to work with DVB-T over OpenELEC PVR version. Check it at my blog, it's really easy to do :)

Arcain

Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:17 pm

So how's tvheadend works for you? How's your signal strength, tuner and distro? Does it buffer and trash the screen with often artifacts like in my case or it's clear and perfect?

tpires

Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:42 pm

Arcain wrote:So how's tvheadend works for you? How's your signal strength, tuner and distro? Does it buffer and trash the screen with often artifacts like in my case or it's clear and perfect?
For now all is fine! I can even see on TV and stream to other machine (i've a little post about it on my blog). And actually it does not buffer or trash the screen with "artifacts". At the beginning i was struggling to get to work with vdr but as i couldn't compile it as add-on i went for tvheadend. My experience is that it works great! Configuration is easy and you can get it to work in less than 5 minutes!

Arcain

Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:50 pm

Maybe it's my tuner after all. I heard that devices based on IT9135 chipset (yours) are more sensitive and get better signal strength than RTL2832U which is the one i own. That still makes me wonder why on different computer or different software (vdr or mumudvb) i get better reception and less artifacts/no buffering. Weird.

What about the moment when you're doing something on Pi, like installing new software, starting apps, does this affect stream (artifacts for a while) in your case?

mebepi

Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:43 pm

Hi,

Have you ever heard of vTuner? This turns any physical DVB tuner into a virtual one accessible from the network.

http://code.google.com/p/vtuner

I already successfully build vTuner on Raspberry Pi.
http://www.nessiedvb.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=70

I need to perform some tests with it on the RPi.
This is perhaps not what you immediately expect because this requires the client to be able to handle DVB devices.

vTuner can turn you RPi into a DVB devices server.
You simply need the vtunerd (vtuner.apps) in this case.
You don't need the linux-driver, linux-driver is only needed to become a client of an existing vTuner server.

Mebepi

dozencrows

Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:17 pm

Arcain wrote:Maybe it's my tuner after all. I heard that devices based on IT9135 chipset (yours) are more sensitive and get better signal strength than RTL2832U which is the one i own...
I've been trying to get reliable recording on the Pi using an RTL2832U device (August DVB-T205) in the UK, and seem to have a bit more success than you. Two parts of the setup I've found affecting stability and recording quality are the USB hub used (obviously powered) and the storage device where the recordings are written.

The faster the storage device, the fewer errors I got - this happened multiple times on different days/conditions. My class 4 and 6 SD cards were the worst; I then tried a class 10 which was a great improvement (but still not really acceptable). I also tried saving the stream to a Samba share - this was about the same as the class 10 card. Best of all was a USB hard drive (WD MyPassport) - but still not quite as good as running the same signal into my TV or desktop PC (with the same tuner).

I experienced some system instability during all this testing (failure to tune or record, occasional kernel panic, disappearance of devices from USB bus) - I think this was down to the powered hub I used (a 7 port Pluscom model) which "leaks" power back to the host computer. I recently switched to an alternative (Logik L4THUB10) and had a much more stable system as a result.

I've been using tzap from the command line for my testing; I've also used dvbstream and TvHeadEnd a little, but wanted to stay "lean" when just testing the raw recording capability.

Obviously I don't know what exact hardware setup you're using, but it might be worth investigating other options than the distro being used.

Arcain

Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:59 pm

dozencrows wrote: Obviously I don't know what exact hardware setup you're using, but it might be worth investigating other options than the distro being used.
I ordered a IT9135 based one to check if it changes anything. Should be able to try it next week. In fact i actually have a reception issues here, especially with the second mux working on higher freqency, plus, i'm not using external antena and the "flat" ones might cause some issues on 40km trasmitters, even if they transmit with 100kW power. Tuner is not the top ones either since same antena gives better singal on TV, even the higher mux works but on the other hand same tuner is still able to work correctly on HTPC (Zotac HD-ND22). It's not as good as directly on TV, but no artifacts nor buffering while watching or watching and recording at the same time also using SD card (SanDisk one rated at 95MB/s write speed, real at about 20MB/s). SD i'm using on Pi runs on 10MB/s (real result) write speed class 10 card. It should be fine for 3Mb/s (an average for non-HD one) streams.

I'm not using any kind of USB hub as except for tuner i don't really intend to connect anything else to Pi. It crossed my mind that 100mA might be not enough for DVB-T stick so i borrowed a powered D-Link 5 port hub to check it out but it worked exactly the same. There's really not much i can check here except different tuner. Currently, vdr with Live TV works fine rarely artifacting. I'm yet to check how recording would work on NFS instead of SD.

@mebepi, the main idea, at least mine, is to let Pi record and stream the channels directly so i wouldn't have to keep HTPC running all day, all the time. The idea of vTuner seems fine, but won't help to transform Pi into PVR. Out of curiousity, what's gonna happend when 2 or more "clients" will try to access shared DVB device?

tpires

Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:35 am

Arcain wrote:What about the moment when you're doing something on Pi, like installing new software, starting apps, does this affect stream (artifacts for a while) in your case?
I haven't tried that yet. For the moment i'm running some tests on TVheadend and XBMC (OpenELEC) and I will post it on my blog soon. My idea is to test TVheadend, VDR (if i can compile it) and MuMuDVB and then make a comparison between them.

tpires

Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:23 pm

For those of you that are interested on checking RPi performance with PVR funtionalities i've written this article.

Return to “Media centres”