Pearl.852

Re: Release: Ubeify Desktop Media Player For Raspberry Pi

Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:15 am

gkreidl wrote:If the frame buffer has a different size than the HW resolution you will alway run into this problem, because omxplayer uses the HW screen resolution and the GUI uses the frame buffer resolution.

Usually you can set the TV from its menu to use the full screen without having to use overscan at all. It's just different on each TV how to set it up.
Thanks for your comments. I have gone through all the available user settings on my TV Monitor but there isn't any settings that is related for adjusting the resolution. Perhaps there might be some factory adjustment for that, but it isn't available for general user. One thing I want to mention is that on my Windows 7 PC using the same HDMI connection to my TV Monitor, there is no overscan adjustment required.

gkreidl

Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:07 am

Pearl.852 wrote:[
Thanks for your comments. I have gone through all the available user settings on my TV Monitor but there isn't any settings that is related for adjusting the resolution. Perhaps there might be some factory adjustment for that, but it isn't available for general user. One thing I want to mention is that on my Windows 7 PC using the same HDMI connection to my TV Monitor, there is no overscan adjustment required.
Do you have a setting where you can switch between 16:9, 4:3, zoom etc.? That's where I have found the solution in my Samsung TV.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

KTWS

Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:41 am

gkreidl wrote:It may look normal for a Python developer to install it via pip, but it keeps all other versions from using updates correctly. This includes the official compressed version.
gkreidl, as i've said before, Ubeify imports youtube-dl as a module. There's a line in Ubeify's source code which literally states "import youtube_dl" (see the official github readme under "embedding youtube-dl"). Installing youtube-dl via pip is the correct cross platform method to ensure it's installed as a global module within python's "dist-packages" folder.

Ubeify does not call the end-user command-line version of youtube-dl like omxplayerGUI does, so changing the Ubeify install to use the compressed version of youtube-dl will not work. Installing directly from github requires extra software to be installed and has cross platform issues so is not a viable solution. This is why Ubeify uses the pip version of youtube-dl.
gkreidl wrote:The problem is, that once you install it to the Python path via pip, the Python path always takes precedence when importing even for the compressed version. Updating the compressed version is useless then .... It could be done via pip but users are not aware of it because the ubeify installation hides it from them.
The Ubeify install script clearly states it's "Installing youtube-dl via pip [for easy updates]". As a convenience, selecting "Update Ubeify" from the options menu also updates youtube-dl via pip (and tells the user it's doing so). If a user manually tries to update using "youtube-dl -U" it tells them to update using pip (or github) instead. It's not ideal but is the best I can do.

All the above is besides the point though. The user installed Ubeify first (pip version of youtube-dl) then installed omxplayerGUI (your scripts manual github install of youtube-dl). This broke Ubeify, however omxplayerGUI worked as intended. If youtube-dl broke/changed in the time between Ubeify and omxplayerGUI installs, then both omxplayerGUI and Ubeify should fail because the Python path (pip version) takes precedence. Clearly this didn't happen. The user then re-installed Ubeify and both Ubeify and omxplayerGUI began working again.

I've not had time to reproduce the problem but, if what the user says is correct, then it's clear that your omxplayerGUI install somehow breaks pip youtube-dl. My best guess is that it's something to do with how you setup youtube-dl-server. Could you have a look at that? Do you change any global python paths?
Ubeify Desktop Media Player For Raspberry Pi Zero, 1, 2 & 3
http://www.ubeify.co.uk/

KTWS

Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:51 am

gkreidl wrote:Do you have a setting where you can switch between 16:9, 4:3, zoom etc.? That's where I have found the solution in my Samsung TV.
That's how I do it with my tv too actually, hopefully that'll work for you Pearl.852.

What i'm proposing to do later today anyway though is change ubeify to scan /boot/config.txt on Ubeify startup, detect when overscan is enabled and offset the overscan_[left, right, top, bottom] values. It'll add a very slight delay (a few miliseconds) to startup but means Ubeify will be guaranteed to work out of the box which is the most important thing. Might be worthwhile you doing something similar for OMXplayerGUI gkreidl :-)

gkreidl

Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:28 pm

@KTWS:
Obviously you don't listen: Installing via pip breaks the official installation method (the compressed binary). If you update it via -U command it will update itself, but will use the (old) Python modules instead. This is why the youtube-dl developers told me to remove any Python module version.

It also breaks the github installation if it is used from the command line (which omxplayerGUI does by default, if the youtube-dl-server is not running). The youtube-dl-server is not affected because it prepends the path of the github version, It does not change any global Python paths.

If we don't find a solution, I'll have to display a warning at installation and offer to remove the python modules. This would break ubeify and I would hate to do it but you seem not to be willing to find a compromise. You force your users to accept breaking other things.

Regarding overscan settings: I still don't believe that these are really needed. Any monitor or TV I have tested could be adjusted without having to use it. And software accessing the screen directly like omxplayer (in full screen mode) or pi3D don't use them anyway and in some cases the border areas may be missing.
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download

KTWS

Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:00 pm

gkreidl wrote:Obviously you don't listen: Installing via pip breaks the official installation method (the compressed binary). If you update it via -U command it will update itself, but will use the (old) Python modules instead.
No. If you install via the official pip method and you and try to update via the -U command you get the following message and it does NOT update. You also get the same message when using the omxplayerGUI install script and choosing yes to the github install and you try to update it via the -U command.

Code: Select all

It looks like you installed youtube-dl with a package manager, pip, setup.py or a tarball. Please use that to update.
gkreidl wrote:This is why the youtube-dl developers told me to remove any Python module version.
No. The developers told you to remove any python module version because you had installed the compressed binary on top of another version without uninstalling the other version first. This is where the issue is. Had you updated or removed youtube-dl via the method it was installed (presumably pip), there would be no issue. If an official compressed version of youtube-dl is installed on top of an official pip installation and there is a module conflict, then the developers need to find a workaround for that.

If you don't want to/can't change omxplayerGUIs unofficial way of installing youtube-dl, there is a very simple solution: add a couple of lines to your youtube-dl installer/updater which queries pip to see if a version of youtube-dl is installed and if it is, update it. That would cover all bases and resolve any module conflicts. If you knew there was a module conflict with an official youtube-dl install method that many other people use, I don't understand why you're not doing this already. Here is how you query pip command-line:

pip show youtube-dl
gkreidl wrote:If we don't find a solution, I'll have to display a warning at installation and offer to remove the python modules. This would break ubeify and I would hate to do it but you seem not to be willing to find a compromise.
Lets keep this professional please. I've given you a solution to your unofficial install method problem, it's up to you if you want to use it or not.

gkreidl

Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:26 am

There are 4 methods to install youtube-dl:
1) As a Debian/Raspbian package. This installs the Python modules and adds a symbolic link in /usr/bin. Updating wit -U is not possible and it is never updated by the Debian maintainers. So it is really quite useless.
2) The "official" method: download the compressed version, make it executable and move it to /usr/bin. This is the only version that can use the -U command to update itself. Disadvantage: it is rather slow to start on the RPi and it cannot be used as a Python module from inside Python programs.
3) Installing via pip. This adds Python modules (not bleeding edge, but the pip version is updated regularly). This also creates a symbolic link in /usr/bin to be called from the command line. Update is only possible via pip command.
4) Installing from github. I would not call that "non official". This downloads the bleeding edge version. My installation script (published long time ago here on the forum, both for methods 2 an 4) also creates a symbolic link in /usr/bin.

omxplayerGUI can use any of them. The youtube-dl-server requires a Python module version. It prefers the github version, if available, but will fall back to the Python module version otherwise. The kweb package includes scripts to install and update the github version. They are available as buttons on kweb's applications page. kusti8's rpi-youtube chromium extension package also has an update command built in (using my script). omxplayerGUI will always check, if the youtube-dl server is running and fall back to the command line version.

The problem for the user is always with the command line command (either link or compressed binary); if a Python module version is installed, it will always take precedence. The user believes, that he has an updated version (compressed or github) but the version used is the Python module version. That's why the youtube-dl developers recommended me to remove the Python modules.

What I can (and will) do, is to add a pip check and pip update to my update script. One problem will remain, though: using the command line version may give different results than using the youtube-dl server, because the github version will usually be newer.

BTW, at the moment I cannot see any reason why installing the github version will break anything for ubeify, as one user reported. The only effect is that the symbolic link will point to the github version but that shouldn't be a problem.

gkreidl

Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:20 am

I checked youtube-dl's start code a bit and also the way pip installs the executable. The real problem is not the module import at all, but a path precedence: the pip version creates a small python start script in /usr/local/bin which takes precedence over a start script or binary or symbolic link in /usr/bin. That's all. I'll just use full paths in the future (checking them all) and there won't be any conflict any more (for me). If only the pip version is installed, kweb/omxplayer will use it but it will prefer the github version or the compressed version, if available.
If people use the pip version they have to care about updating it themselves (or ubeify has to do it for them).
Calling youtube-dl from the command line will use the pip version, if installed, but that's the user's problem if he installs it that way. He can use a full path to avoid it, if he has different versions installed at the same time.

KTWS

Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:07 am

@gkreidl Thank you, I appreciate that. In retrospect when i've said "official" method, what I should really be saying is "recommended" method. There are a few reasons why I choose to install youtube-dl via pip and not git:

1) pip is the standard way to install Python packages and is pre-installed in Python 2.7.9 and Python 3.4 onwards. Youtube-dl documentation tells you to use it.
2) Installing via git is not a recommend method of installing youtube-dl. I knew it was an option, but they don't tell you to use it in the documentation.
3) 1 line of code can install/update youtube-dl via pip. Installation via git needs a much larger custom install script and requires git developer tools to be installed.
4) If multiple git installations of youtube-dl exist on top of each other under Debian there are update conflicts. A user may think they've globally updated youtube-dl via a custom update script, when in actual fact only one installed version of youtube-dl has been updated. pip installs one version of youtube-dl which can be globally updated, using the same command, by any software.
5) Cross platform problems. The Windows version of git is difficult to set up and, from my own past experience, is prone to crashing. It would also add over 30mb to Ubeify when pip is already pre-installed in the included Windows portable version of Python 3.4.
6) The module conflict you've already outlined. Best way to avoid that is to use the recommend pip version.

Anyway, thanks again and let me know if any problems crop up.

Pearl.852

Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:26 pm

gkreidl wrote:
Pearl.852 wrote:[
Do you have a setting where you can switch between 16:9, 4:3, zoom etc.? That's where I have found the solution in my Samsung TV.
Thanks for your suggestion, but I can't find any similar settings on my LG TV Monitor.

Pearl.852

Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:14 pm

gkreidl wrote:If the frame buffer has a different size than the HW resolution you will alway run into this problem, because omxplayer uses the HW screen resolution and the GUI uses the frame buffer resolution.
@KTWS Today, I experimented with the frame buffer settings, forcing it to match the HW resolution for my LG TV Monitor in the /boot/config.txt

[EDID=GSM-2D_FHD_LG_TV]
# settings here applied only when connected to LG TV Monitor, LG-24MT55D
disable_overscan=1
overscan_left=40
overscan_right=40
overscan_top=24
overscan_bottom=24
framebuffer_width=1920
framebuffer_height=1080
[all]
While playing in the Windowed mode, the video area is still not fitted to the player window. But playing in the Fullscreen mode, the video size does utilize the entire screen area now; except for the player's control, only the bottom 1/3 is visible. Hope these information help.

Pearl.852

Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:24 pm

Question on how to switch the audio output.

Currently, it seems to output audio through the HDMI port only. Is there a way to output audio through the Analog port on Raspberry Pi or a paired bluetooth speaker? I have tried right-click on the Volume Control applet to select different audio out device, but it makes no changes.

Using OMXPlayer, I could specify the audio out device using -o hdmi/local/both
Using VLC Player, I could right-click on the Volume Control applet to select Analog or HDMI. If I want to use a bluetooth speaker, I would set the Audio Device to PulseAudio Sound Server in VLC first, then right-click on the Volume Control applet to select a paired bluetooth speaker/handset.

KTWS

Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:25 pm

Pearl.852 wrote:Question on how to switch the audio output.

Currently, it seems to output audio through the HDMI port only. Is there a way to output audio through the Analog port on Raspberry Pi or a paired bluetooth speaker? I have tried right-click on the Volume Control applet to select different audio out device, but it makes no changes.

Using OMXPlayer, I could specify the audio out device using -o hdmi/local/both
Using VLC Player, I could right-click on the Volume Control applet to select Analog or HDMI. If I want to use a bluetooth speaker, I would set the Audio Device to PulseAudio Sound Server in VLC first, then right-click on the Volume Control applet to select a paired bluetooth speaker/handset.
You can't switch the audio output within Ubeify at the moment but i'm working on it. However, if you edit /ubeify/src/ubeify.py and find the line which starts with

cmd = "omxplayer --threshold 0 --pos %s --no-osd --vol
you can change the flags. You'll need to delete ubeify.pyc after modifying ubeify.py and restart Ubeify for your changes to take effect.

Unfortunately Bluetooth audio won't work using omxplayer. I don't know of a way to get around that.

KTWS

Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:39 pm

Ubeify Update: 20160619

- Added "Open File" to the options menu
- Added "Open Stream" to the options menu
- Added "Keyword Quick Play" to the options menu
- Added "Clear Cache" to the options menu
- Improved Spotify playlist support
- Improved Reddit feed support
- Fixed Youtube playlist support broken by update 20160525
- Raspberry Pi: Ubeify now reads and acts on overscan settings if manually set in /boot/config.txt using overscan_top, bottom, left and right
- Ubeify install script now includes following warning if youtube-dl is already installed:

=========================================================
 Warning!
Ubeify will overwrite your current version of youtube-dl
with the pip version. Due to the numerous different ways
to install youtube-dl, this may result in a change to the
way you keep the software up to date.

After installation, you can update youtube-dl from within
Ubeify by selecting 'Update Ubeify' from the options menu
or by typing 'sudo pip install youtube_dl --upgrade' into
a terminal.

A copy of these details can be found within the _README.txt
file for future reference.
[?] Would you like to continue the Ubeify install? [Y/n]
To upgrade to this version from an existing installation, select 'Update Ubeify' from the top right options menu and restart the software.

Enjoy :)

Pearl.852

Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:35 am

KTWS wrote:Ubeify Update: 20160619
- Raspberry Pi: Ubeify now reads and acts on overscan settings if manually set in /boot/config.txt using overscan_top, bottom, left and right
Thanks for the updated version. It is working as intended but with a catch.

Within my /boot/config.txt, I use the [EDID=*] filter to customize the monitor settings for my Raspberry Pi 3 when switches between multiple monitors. The new update works perfectly with my LG TV Monitor that requires overscan setting. However, on my other 2 monitors that does not require overscan settings, the adjustment applies too, thus the video now shifted the opposite way (down and to the right). Sorry for the trouble, please find contents of my modified /boot/config.txt below,

# For more options and information see
# http://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/configuration/config-txt.md
# Some settings may impact device functionality. See link above for details

# uncomment if you get no picture on HDMI for a default "safe" mode
#hdmi_safe=1

# uncomment this if your display has a black border of unused pixels visible
# and your display can output without overscan
#disable_overscan=1

# uncomment the following to adjust overscan. Use positive numbers if console
# goes off screen, and negative if there is too much border
#overscan_left=48
#overscan_right=48
#overscan_top=48
#overscan_bottom=48

[EDID=GSM-2D_FHD_LG_TV]
# settings here applied only when connected to LG TV Monitor, LG-24MT55D
disable_overscan=1
overscan_left=40
overscan_right=40
overscan_top=24
overscan_bottom=24
#framebuffer_width=1920
#framebuffer_height=1080
[all]

[EDID=LCD-LCD-MONITOR]
# settings here applied only when connected to TOPCON LCD Monitor, Jupiter-170
disable_overscan=1
#overscan_left=48
#overscan_right=48
#overscan_top=48
#overscan_bottom=48
[all]

[EDID=MEI-Panasonic-TV]
# settings here applied only when connected to Panasonic iDTV, TH-L32S10H
disable_overscan=1
#overscan_left=48
#overscan_right=48
#overscan_top=48
#overscan_bottom=48
[all]

# uncomment to force a console size. By default it will be display's size minus
# overscan.
#framebuffer_width=1280
#framebuffer_height=720

# uncomment if hdmi display is not detected and composite is being output
#hdmi_force_hotplug=1

# uncomment to force a specific HDMI mode (this will force VGA)
#hdmi_group=1
#hdmi_mode=1

# uncomment to force a HDMI mode rather than DVI. This can make audio work in
# DMT (computer monitor) modes
#hdmi_drive=2

# uncomment to increase signal to HDMI, if you have interference, blanking, or
# no display
#config_hdmi_boost=4

# uncomment for composite PAL
#sdtv_mode=2

#uncomment to overclock the arm. 700 MHz is the default.
#arm_freq=800

# Uncomment some or all of these to enable the optional hardware interfaces
#dtparam=i2c_arm=on
#dtparam=i2s=on
#dtparam=spi=on

# Uncomment this to enable the lirc-rpi module
#dtoverlay=lirc-rpi

# Additional overlays and parameters are documented /boot/overlays/README

# Enable audio (loads snd_bcm2835)
dtparam=audio=on
#dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d
gpu_mem=128

Pearl.852

Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:15 am

I have a new finding to report.

According to your website online instructions, keyboard shortcuts will not work when in windowed mode or switching to fullscreen from windowed mode. But I am finding that the Spacebar works inadvertently when pressed, the video will start again from the very beginnings.

KTWS

Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:17 pm

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you Pearl, looking into how to support EDID now.

Pearl.852

Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:15 pm

A new finding to report.

Occasionally at the end of playing a video/Youtube stream in full screen mode, the screen goes completely black and no keyboard response. Then after about 10 seconds, an error dialog box appears as shown below,

Note: I was only playing a single Youtube stream when it happens last.

-----
Edited: Jun-30
Okay, this symptom has just happened again today. These are the steps
1. Copy a video url link from Youtube
2. Open Ubeify
3. Paste (Ctrl-V) the copied link onto the search box (Upper left) and press Enter
4. Notice the video did not start, even waited over 10 seconds
5. Click on the (X) at the search box to clear the url link
6. Paste (Ctrl-V) the copied link again onto the search box and press Enter
7. The video starts playing
8. Press Esc for full screen viewing
9. At the end of the video, the screen goes blank
10. During this period, no mouse or keyboard response at all
11. After about 10 seconds passed, the Ubeify desktop re-appears with the error dialog box showing on top.
Attachments
IMG_20160629_011038.jpg
IMG_20160629_011038.jpg (52.84 KiB) Viewed 3902 times
Last edited by Pearl.852 on Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pearl.852

Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:02 pm

Suggestion: Add startup notification (Spinning mouse cursor) while loading a Youtube stream.

Because it often takes more than a few seconds before the video starts. During the time waiting, I am not sure the video will going to start or not, as sometimes it will not. I have to delete the Youtube link and paste it again before it will starts playing.

Pearl.852

Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:02 am

gkreidl wrote:
Pearl.852 wrote: Thanks for your comments. I have gone through all the available user settings on my TV Monitor but there isn't any settings that is related for adjusting the resolution. Perhaps there might be some factory adjustment for that, but it isn't available for general user. One thing I want to mention is that on my Windows 7 PC using the same HDMI connection to my TV Monitor, there is no overscan adjustment required.
Finally, I have found the settings for Aspect Ratio on my LG TV Monitor. It was set on 16:9 (default). After changed to "Pixel-for-Pixel Scanning", it no longer require any overscan adjustment. Thanks for your suggestion. :)

richardcgiroux

Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:18 am

Question:

I have a programmnig project where I need to resize an OMXPlayer window without stopping the live stream comming from another Pi.

How do you resize the video?

I don't know python so I haven't had much luck figuring out the code. Could you point me to the code and perhaps a brief explanation so that I can translate that into my own code?

gkreidl

Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:57 am

You could use the dbuscontrol.sh script from github:
dbuscontrol.sh setvideopos x1 y1 x2 y2

KTWS

Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:03 am

Ubeify Update: 20161021

- Improved error handling for when a video stream hangs
- To support Pi-Top and Pi-Top CEED official speakers, sound is now output via both HDMI and analogue jack at the same time using the "-o both" omxplayer command **

To upgrade to this version from an existing installation, select 'Update Ubeify' from the top right options menu and restart the software.

Enjoy :D

** If needed, you can change to another mode by editing line 4817 of /ubeify/src/ubeify.py. For your changes to take effect, delete ubeify.pyc and restart Ubeify.

thiagottjv

Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:33 pm

Hi,

I`m having a problem with my instalation on a RPi 2 B.
I installed bit it wont open. I tried to open on terminal and it says:

File "/home/pi/Downloads/ubeify/src/ubeify.py", line 49, in <module>
from PIL import Image, ImageTk, ImageDraw
ImportError: cannot import name ImageTk

Could you help me?

C-Fu

Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:54 am

A lot more people would give it a try if you can make a squashfs-ready image aka berryboot image available. At least I'd try it out. Just not willing to wait for a backup to a 64GB sdcard, and flash this, and then reflash my original image that has a ton of other OSes preconfigured for my use.

Return to “Media centres”