Husswow

All in one

Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:08 pm

Hi guys,

new to the forum and hopefully will recieve shipment of my first raspberry pi soon.

My aim is to have one for every TV in the house so i can

-stream movies over the network from my PC
-youtube
-Game emulators like n64 and snes

im starting to read through some of the guides and this forums. If anyone has similar, please let me know what hardware and software you use. Im not a novice when it comes to pc and am pretty good with windows and unix.

Regards.

amigaholic

Re: All in one

Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:55 pm

I've got two Pis in (primary and backup), hosting Active Directory duties split between the two, and DHCP primary and secondary functions between the two.

One of them (a Pi 2) runs Serviio, a media server package, and has a 3TB USB hard drive attached. My Pi runs headless. Attached to my TV is a PS3, which I can use to stream videos, music, and pictures from the Pi. I also use the ServiiGo app (requires the paid-for version of ServiiGo) on our Android devices to allow us to watch content from those (but any UPNP player app will work within the same network) - the ServiiGo app also allows you to stream the media from your Serviio machine to your Android device over the Internet, which is cool, but I've only got ADSL, so it's only any use for audio streaming at the moment. I can also use MediaMonkey on my PCs to access the video streams. ServiiGo includes a web-based MediaBrowser interface (in the paid-for version) which allows you to browse and play your media within your browser from any device (even over the Internet) as long as it will run the Flash player.

The advantage of using your Pi as the media streamer is that you won't have to have your PC on at all times; your media is just going to be "there" and ready for all devices to stream from.

The disadvantage of using your Pi as the media streamer is that generally you'll want to disable transcoding, and ensure your media is ripped to the media store using a format playable to all your devices (I've used MP4 as a container, with MPEG2 for video and AAC for audio - plays on all my devices with no transcoding). The Pi isn't fast enough to transcode video on the fly. Do it in bulk runs on your PC, preferably when ripping your media.

If you want to use Raspberry Pis as playback devices on your TVs, you'll need to buy the media codec licenses, one for each Pi. As I said, my Pi is headless - it's just the streaming server - so I've never needed the licenses.

Return to “Media centres”