picrard

Wanna use an external CD rom in Kodi(openelec/rasbmc)???

Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:56 am

Hi,

I have a big question, does anyone get a external cd-rom on the Raspy to work in OpenElec or rasbmc?
I want to use a external cd-rom drive to play audio cds. I have already bought a external 2,5" drive and it works
great on my linux distros, but when I attach it on my Raspies it works not or not right :-(

I've now tested it on my Raspberry 2 under OpenElec but the LED shows only a low light flickering and I can not open
the door, it shows a little rainbow coloured box on the right upper corner on the screen, when I use the drive on my PCs it works properly.

Second test was on my Raspberry rev. B with raspbmc, the drive works, I can open the door insert a disc, but the Raspy(or maybe rasbmc) doesn't detects the CD, the drive turns and turn and raspbmc goes slow until I eject the CD.

What could I do to make it?

Thank you for help!

HiroProtagonist

Re: Wanna use an external CD rom in Kodi(openelec/rasbmc)???

Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:41 pm

picrard wrote:Hi,

I have a big question, does anyone get a external cd-rom on the Raspy to work in OpenElec or rasbmc?
I want to use a external cd-rom drive to play audio cds. I have already bought a external 2,5" drive and it works
great on my linux distros, but when I attach it on my Raspies it works not or not right :-(

I've now tested it on my Raspberry 2 under OpenElec but the LED shows only a low light flickering and I can not open
the door, it shows a little rainbow coloured box on the right upper corner on the screen, when I use the drive on my PCs it works properly.

Second test was on my Raspberry rev. B with raspbmc, the drive works, I can open the door insert a disc, but the Raspy(or maybe rasbmc) doesn't detects the CD, the drive turns and turn and raspbmc goes slow until I eject the CD.
I have used an external DVD drive on Raspbmc. You will need to provide power for the drive - you can't power it via the Pi USB.

gkreidl

Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:46 pm

On the B+ / Pi 2 add
usb_max_power=1
to /boot/config.txt
(You need a good 5V2A power supply)
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

picrard

Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:33 pm

O.k. got it! Thank you for the posts!

It seems that the power cord is broken, I have used an active USB-Hub and it works now, the rainbow coloured box in the upper right corner on the PI2 has passed away...and the PI started playing after insert the disc...

One problem: After stop pressed I can't restart the disc, I have to open and close the tray.. where is the disc mounted, I can't find it under /dev/sr0 or /dev/cdrom .?

So I could add the mount point to my music folder...

picrard

Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:22 pm

O.k. I've found a solution... It looks that my CD-ROM path is :

cdda://local/

I've added it to the music sources and gave it the name CDROM-Audio, it works!

JoseelLector

Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:17 pm

Hi I have a external blu-ray USB, and I have installed Xbian(XMBC) for Raspberry Pi 2 Model B, but I can't watch bluray disc, Any distribution or solution?
Thanks

Jehop

Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:17 am

Look on Element 14 website for:
"Raspberry Pi B+: setting up a home server with just a USB Harddrive"
by: cloudformdesign (blog)
Not the exact install you are trying but close.

Return to “Media centres”