mynameisausten

ftp media server

Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:51 pm

So I just got the pi 2 and my plan was to hook up a external hdd to the pi, however I didnt know that the pi couldnt power the hdd by itself. So my plans changed to now I plugged the hdd into the router and then cat5'ed the pi to the router.

All is well except that I cannot find a way to play music/movies without downloading the file to the internal sd card first. The method I was using to access the hdd has been both http and ftp. Ftp kinda works as vlc has integrated ftp communication; however this method requires me to directly spell out the individual file name instead of just opening a folder and hitting 'play all'.

I also run into the problem that the pi will be torrenting, so I need software than can make the external look like it is actually internal - this is due to the fact that I only have 8gb sd card and dont want to torrent directly to that and then move the files after completion.

Im using raspbian right now, but im more than welcome to suggestions to changing that (except the XMBC family - I didnt really like how those felt). In a utopia there has to be some software out there to do what I need. Please, any recommendations are more than appreciated.

DougieLawson

Re: ftp media server

Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:24 am

The RPi2 (and B+) can power external HDDs if you add

Code: Select all

max_usb_current=1
to /boot/config.txt
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

andoma

Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:27 am

Movian https://movian.tv comes with a built-in torrent streamer so you can play torrents without downloading them first (assuming you have enough bandwidth to do so)

ghans

Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:21 am

You can use curlftpfs to trick most applications into thinking
the FTP server is a local harddrive.

ghans
Last edited by ghans on Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

mynameisausten

Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:10 pm

Thanks ghans, I'll look into curlftps

ghans

Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:11 am

Yeah , there was a typo in my post , the name is curlftpfs ( curl ftp filesystem).

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

Return to “Media centres”