truehl

New Complete Web-Based SqueezePlug Version Available

Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:25 am

SqueezePlug & Max2Play announcement:

New SqueezePlug Version available

Hi folks,

G R E A T N E W S !

SqueezePlug & Max2Play are very happy to tell you, that SqueezePlug is now available in a complete new Web based version!

SqueezePlug & Max2Play is the new combination of SqueezePlug, the famous Multiroom Audio Solution and Max2Play, the web based framework for controlling Linux based Mini-Computer like e.g. Raspberry Pi, Odroid and others by a simple web interface without any, absolutely any Linux Know-How. SqueezePlug is now a plug-in in Max2Play to make the configuration as easy as possible. There is no need for connecting a monitor, a keyboard or a mouse on the device itself. It all runs headless and no special tools like Putty are needed any more. The configuration is as simple as configuring a router from a web interface!

The new name for this famous Multiroom Audio Solution is "SqueezePlug & MAX2Play".

SqueezePlug & Max2Play worked very hard the last month to build this new version of an easy to use Multiroom Audio Solution so give it a try and you will be fascinated!

In this first version, SqueezePlug & Max2Play is available for Raspberry Pi and the Odroid devices U3 and C1. Versions for other devices will follow!

What is SqueezePlug & Max2Play?
SqueezePlug & Max2Play is a Multiroom Audio Solution with server and player components. Multiroom Audio Solution means, that you have one server and as much players as you like. Every player uses the shared music from the server. Players can be synced to play the same music, or they can play different music. A Mini-Computer can be a server, a player or a server and a player together. The files can resist on the Mini-Computer itself e.g. on an directly attached USB-HD or on another location on your network. A Mini-Computer doesn't make any noise, cause it don't have any cooling components and consumes very little power.

Available server components on SqueezePlug & Max2Play:
- Logitech Media Server (SlimServer, SqueezeCenter, Squeezebox Server)
- MiniDLNA
- Kodi (XBMC)

Available player components:
- SqueezeLite
- ShairPort (AirPlay)
- gmediaplayer (DLNA Client)

All these servers and players are ready to run by just a click.

Included features are:
- graphical Equalizer
- Lowpassfilter and Crossfeed
- ShairPort Sync for synchronization between different ShairPort players
- mount USB-drives automatically
- mount Samba and NFS network shares
- Samba Server
- HD-Idle to power down your attached USB-HD
- Update functions
- install other plugins by just a click

Requirements:
- Hardware
-- Raspberry Pi (all types, best: Raspberry Pi 2 Model B), or Odroid U3, or Odroid C1
-- Other devices will be supported in future
-- SD-Card minimum 8 GB (Class 10 is recommended)
-- Optional: Raspberry Pi I2S Soundcard. We recommend the IQaudIO Card Pi-DAC+. This card from our experiences is the best Soundcard you can get for the Raspberry Pi. The Pi-DAC+ Card runs with SqueezePlug & MAX2Play out of the box. There are no modifications necessary. The Sound will inspire you! More information you will get here: http://iqaudio.com.
-- Optional: USB Soundcard
-- Optional: WiFi-Adaptor, Keyboard, Mouse, and other peripheral devices
Please always use an appropriate power supply to power your Mini-Computer! Insufficient power supplies can be the reason for many problems!

- Software
-- Tool for writing SD-Cards (if you use Raspberry Pi as your platform for SqueezePlug & MAX2Play you don't even need this, you can use NOOBS)
-- Web browser
-- No other software is needed!!!

How to get it working
There are only a few steps necessary to get your Mini-Computer working as an easy to use Multiroom Audio Solution. Follow the next steps and you will be ready to go in a few minutes. If your Mini-Computer is already running, you can start with step 5. "Expand the SD-Card".

1. Download the latest SqueezePlug & Max2Play SD-Card Image
Go to SqueezePlug Downloads or Max2Play Downloads to get the latest version of SqueezePlug & Max2Play. Download and save it to your PC.

2. Burn the image to the SD-Card
Use a tool like USB Image Tool to burn the downloaded image to the SD-Card. It is also possible to get a ready to start image from our shop: Max2Play Shop. If you are using a Raspberry Pi, you can simply drop the extracted files from the archive to the FAT-formatted SD-Card. This method is called NOOBS-installation.

3. Start your Mini-Computer
Put in the SD-Card (or eMMC on Odroid), connect the LAN-Cable and the power supply to your Mini-Computer and boot it up. If you use the NOOBS-installation method with the Raspberry Pi, the system will be prepared automatically. Watch the process from your attached monitor or wait for about 20 minutes to finish the process. If you use this method you also have the advantage of a discovery system. On boot you can press <Shift> to start the recovery-system. You can choose to install a new clean system with factory settings from here.

4. Connect to your Mini-Computer by a web browser
Type "http://max2play" in the address bar of your web browser. If the SqueezePlug & Max2Play site does not start up, try to connect via the IP-Address. For that you will need to know this address. Look it up in your router or use a tool like Advanced IP Scanner. If you are not able to connect either ways, connect a monitor and a keyboard to the Mini-Computer, log in and type "ifconfig". The login is different for the different Mini-Computers (e.g. use user "pi" and password "raspberry" on the Raspberry Pi, user "odroid" and password "odroid" on the Odroid devices.)

5. Expand the SD-Card (not needed for NOOBS-Raspberry PI Image)
To get use of the full space of the SD-Card you have to expand it. Remember that the minimum size is 8 GB. Even if your card is a 8 GB card, please expand the card, before doing something else. Otherwise you will run out of space immediately. To expand the card choose the "SETTINGS / REBOOT" menu, go to the section "Reboot / Update / Filesystem Settings" and click on "Expand Filesystem". Afterwards please reboot to take effect!

6. Do some basic configuration
After rebooting has finished, go back to the "SETTINGS / REBOOT" menu. From here you should be able to configure the basic settings. Everything you need is explained here. It is always a good idea to update the system from here. The necessary plug-ins for SqueezePlug are already installed, choose others if you like.

7. Configure the network settings
Choose the "WIFI / LAN" menu to configure your network settings. SqueezePlug & Max2Play uses the wired connection with DHCP by default. This means that you will get an IP-Address from your router while booting, if DHCP on the router is enabled. A LAN-Connection is always necessary on the first boot. If you like, you can configure a additional WLAN (WiFi)-Connection. If the WLAN-Connection is working, you can simply cut the LAN-Connection. Please remember, the IP-Address will change if you connect by WiFi instead of LAN.

8. Configure the path to your files
Choose the "FILESYSTEM MOUNT" menu to configure the path to your Media-Files like music, movies, pictures etc. Your Media-Files can be saved at different locations: On the SD-Card of the Mini-Computer itself, on an attached USB-drive, or on a Samba or NFS Network-Share. If the Media-Files are stored on the SD-Card you booted from, there is no need to do anything here. If it is stored on a USB-drive this will be mounted automatically to /media/usb and /media/usb0. If you attach more than one USB-drive, they will be mounted to /media/usb1 to /media/usb7. If your Media-Files are stored on an network location you have to configure it from this site. Everything you will need to do is explained here. If you like to enable the Mini-Computer to work as a Samba-Server, go to the section "Sambashares on Max2Play - setup network share paths". If configured correctly, you are now able to see your Mini-Computer as a network-share form the PCs in your home LAN. You can now easily transfer files to your Mini-Computer from other computers in your Home-LAN.

9. Install Squeezebox Server
If you like, you can install Squeezebox Server. Squeezebox Server is one of the best Media-Servers you can get. Choose the Menu " SQUEEZEBOX SERVER " and you will find all you need to get Squeezebox Server installed. Please remember, that it will take a while, till the Squeezebox Server webinterface is reachable after the installation. After the installation has finished, you can access the Squeezebox Server web interface by choosing "Start Squeezebox Server Webadministration". One of the first things you have to configure here is the path to your media files. Please choose the path depending on the settings in the earlier steps. Squeezebox Server stands for: Logitech Media Server, SlimServer, SqueezeCenter and Squeezebox Server.

10. Configure AudioPlayer
To configure you Mini-Computer as an AudioPlayer choose the menu "AUDIOPLAYER". From here you can configure three different players. For the Squeezebox Server environment you need the SqueezeLite player. To play from your Apple-Devices you need ShairPort. The gmediarender is a DLNA-Client for audio running with all DLNA compatible media-servers. All the players can run simultaneously. Please configure the appropriate soundcard for your system. To change the name of your player, choose the menu "SETTINGS / REBOOT" and you will find an option to change it. Please remember, that you will not only change the player name, you will also change the hostname of your Mini-Computer. So the URL for your Mini-Computer will also change.

11. Additional Settings
There are a lot of other settings or tweaks you can choose from the menus. E.g. if you like install Kodi (f.k.a. XBMC). It can easily coexist with Squeezebox Server and all other components of SqueezePlug & Max2Play.

A Video Tutorial will follow soon, be patient for some days, thank you!

Questions concerning this project? Please refer to Shop.Max2Play or SqueezePlug.

Please remember that you use free software. If you like SqueezePlug & MAX2Play we are happy to receive a Donation. Go to: SqueezePlug Donation. Thanks a lot.

Have fun,
Greetings,
Thomas & Stefan
Last edited by truehl on Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de

bobbydriver

Re: New Complete Web-Bases SqueezePlug Version Available

Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:46 pm

Great news - is there any specific config in the new version to take advantage of the new quadcore CPU in the RP2?

truehl

Re: New Complete Web-Bases SqueezePlug Version Available

Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:27 pm

bobbydriver wrote:Great news - is there any specific config in the new version to take advantage of the new quadcore CPU in the RP2?
The new version is based on the latest version of Raspbian. So all advantages of the new device that Raspbian offers are included. With new version of Raspbian there is space for more improvement. The performance of SqueezePlug & MAX2Play is amazing! It all runs very fluent!

Greeting,
Thomas
truehl

mjb152

Re: New Complete Web-Based SqueezePlug Version Available

Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:09 pm

If I wanted to install on an existing server, how would I go about doing that ?
I'm running Kodi & retropie , and would prefer to have squeezplug running on the same Pi.

truehl

Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:18 am

mjb152 wrote:If I wanted to install on an existing server, how would I go about doing that ?
I'm running Kodi & retropie , and would prefer to have squeezplug running on the same Pi.
You can't install SqueezePlug & MAX2Play on top of an existing installation. Kodi is running on SqueezePlug & MAX2Play so that's no problem. Because SqueezePlug & MAX2Play uses the latest Raspbian as it's platform you can install other things on top like on Raspbian. I can't say anything about Retropie.

Greetings,
Thomas
truehl

mjb152

Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:35 pm

sorry, should have been clearer.
I'm running Raspbian, latest version, I manually installed Kodi and retropie on top, so I can choose which to start.
I'd like to also run my squeezebox's from the same server, so wondered if I could do that manually via an install script ?

truehl

Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:34 pm

mjb152 wrote:sorry, should have been clearer.
I'm running Raspbian, latest version, I manually installed Kodi and retropie on top, so I can choose which to start.
I'd like to also run my squeezebox's from the same server, so wondered if I could do that manually via an install script ?
Sorry, I did not get you! Do you use a multi boot system or all on one installation? If all on one, use SqueezePlug & MAX2Play as basis and install Retropie on top!

Greetings,
Thomas
truehl

atinkler

Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:27 pm

Hi Thomas

Tried to use the Noob and the standard IMG but the install both got stuck on start web server... apache2... it wouldnt go any further and I left it for about 5 mins

truehl

Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:37 pm

atinkler wrote:Hi Thomas

Tried to use the Noob and the standard IMG but the install both got stuck on start web server... apache2... it wouldn't go any further and I left it for about 5 mins
Ups! On the boot screen? Both at the same part of the boot process? What Type of Pi do you use? I tested with all different types and even the old ones run. What about your LAN connection? Maybe apache need one, but I don't think so! Please give me some more information!

Greetings, Thomas
truehl

atinkler

Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:46 pm

PI B+
Yes exactly the same place
Ethernet connection
Just put the old SP image on and it works fine

Really need 3.18 version for the hifiberry.... the old SP is on 3.12 and this is causing me issues :idea: :?:

truehl

Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:58 pm

atinkler wrote:PI B+
Yes exactly the same place
Ethernet connection
Just put the old SP image on and it works fine

Really need 3.18 version for the hifiberry.... the old SP is on 3.12 and this is causing me issues :idea: :?:
That sounds very strange! The problem is, that you can't post the output of the boot process in here. And I can't assist you, cause it hangs while booting! So troubleshooting will be very difficult! What about this: Try the NOOBS card once more and press the Shift Key while booting. Overwrite the installation once more and try to boot again. If it hangs at the same place, there must be the devil in your Pi! Do you have the chance to boot it on an other Pi? Since yesterday a lot of people reports that everything is running fine! We've made a lot of tests in very different environments! Can you try to boot without the Hifiberry card? Maybe there is a problem with compatibility! We haven't test this card, because we don't have this card for the new Pi!

Greetings,
Thomas
truehl

mjb152

Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:15 pm

truehl wrote: Sorry, I did not get you! Do you use a multi boot system or all on one installation? If all on one, use SqueezePlug & MAX2Play as basis and install Retropie on top!

Greetings,
Thomas
Hi Thomas, I'm not using multi boot, it's all in the same raspbian base. I was hoping to just download a script or source code and then install on top of what I've got already, or even apt-get install the packages. Then I don't have to redo everything

truehl

Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:04 am

mjb152 wrote:
truehl wrote: Sorry, I did not get you! Do you use a multi boot system or all on one installation? If all on one, use SqueezePlug & MAX2Play as basis and install Retropie on top!

Greetings,
Thomas
Hi Thomas, I'm not using multi boot, it's all in the same raspbian base. I was hoping to just download a script or source code and then install on top of what I've got already, or even apt-get install the packages. Then I don't have to redo everything
No, sorry SqueezePlug & MAX2Play is a complete distribution, not an installable package.

Greetings, Thomas
truehl

atinkler

Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:23 am

good morning.

So after a few hours of battling with my pi i took off the amp and it booted like a dream!

I then re attached the amp and rebooted and it worked again.

I also had a wifi adapter that hasn't been set up attached but that was removed and not put back on. . So i think I'll be buying a 12v 3a psu today (currently have a 2a) to ensure its getting t the juice it needs.

I think i got samba up and running but i couldn't get into any of the boot files via eees explorer or pc...ii can see the share but it's not accessible And i need to change a few modules for the amp. . Can you advise on this or will i need to create and amend using ssh?

Cheers

truehl

Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:46 am

atinkler wrote:good morning.

So after a few hours of battling with my pi i took off the amp and it booted like a dream!

I then re attached the amp and rebooted and it worked again.

I also had a wifi adapter that hasn't been set up attached but that was removed and not put back on. . So i think I'll be buying a 12v 3a psu today (currently have a 2a) to ensure its getting t the juice it needs.

I think i got samba up and running but i couldn't get into any of the boot files via eees explorer or pc...ii can see the share but it's not accessible And i need to change a few modules for the amp. . Can you advise on this or will i need to create and amend using ssh?

Cheers
Very good news! To get acces to the Samba Server you have to give the Samba User "root" a password (you see it at the end of the Site). Then login from your PC with user "root" and the given password! That should work!

Greetings,
Thomas
truehl

atinkler

Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:35 am

I gave it the root and password and I could see Maxplay on my network when I tried to map the drive using windows.. but it wouldnt let me map it or explore so I couldnt add it.

I also tried to browse using the IP address but it wouldnt work

I tried it via ES Explorer and this would let me click into the share but the 2 folders available were both hidden or blocked because they had the $sign in front of them ... seen these blocked system folders before with Squeezeplug and Raspbmc etc but there is always an accessible folder there as well.

Will probably need to investigate more this evening

mantekka

Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:35 am

This sounds great.
Might be a stupid question but if I were to install, how would I switch between using XBMC and Squeezeplug?

If I have it connected to HDMI of my TV, does it boot up as kodi everytime?
Can I access LMS/Squeezeplug via kodi ?
If I played a movie on Kodi and selected some squeezeplug music to play via web interface, would both play at the same time?

Just trying to understand how it works, thanks!

hughmcnish

Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:19 pm

Found the install of the new squeezplug max 2 play easy on my Pi B+ for a newbie like me! :D :D
Got it up and running, installed LMS set up with squeezelite player showing and playing, and set up on wifi all no problem.
Will reboot without a problem BUT cannot get Pi to restart after initiating a shutdown?

Will initiate shutdown, let it complete, switch off power and back on but then cannot see pi on my network? help

atinkler

Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:55 pm

Hi Thomas

No luck getting samba shares to work with Windows.
Es explorer which always works for me is able to access the share but the files are

IPC $
PRINT $

These are both locked drives

Any advise?

Verulamius

Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:07 pm

I have got the max2play up and running on my raspberry pi 2. However I have a couple of problems.

1. My USB hard drives are not recognised by the RPI and so I can not access my music library.

2. When I connect up the RPI to my home network, via LAN to my router, all of my devices on my network stop being able to access the internet, including email servers; this problem disappears when I disconnect my RPI.

Any suggestions?

truehl

Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:54 pm

mantekka wrote:Might be a stupid question but if I were to install, how would I switch between using XBMC and Squeezeplug?
Kodi and the other SqueezePlug & MAX2Play components are running simultaneously. If you start Kodi, it opens on the HDMI Output.
mantekka wrote:If I have it connected to HDMI of my TV, does it boot up as kodi everytime?
Yes if you choose autostart Kodi
mantekka wrote:Can I access LMS/Squeezeplug via kodi ?
Yes, you can use the Squeezebox Server as a DLNA Server e.g.
mantekka wrote:If I played a movie on Kodi and selected some squeezeplug music to play via web interface, would both play
at the same time?
No, they use the sound output exclusivly
truehl

truehl

Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:56 pm

hughmcnish wrote:Will reboot without a problem BUT cannot get Pi to restart after initiating a shutdown? Will initiate shutdown, let it complete, switch off power and back on but then cannot see pi on my network? help
If you shutdown, you have to switch of power and then power it up again!

Greetings, Thomas
truehl

truehl

Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:58 pm

atinkler wrote:Hi Thomas

No luck getting samba shares to work with Windows.
Es explorer which always works for me is able to access the share but the files are

IPC $
PRINT $

These are both locked drives

Any advise?
It definitely works, can I assist you? Are you available via Skype? Pleas sen a PN.

Greetings,
Thomas
truehl

truehl

Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:04 pm

Verulamius wrote:1. My USB hard drives are not recognised by the RPI and so I can not access my music library.
USB-drives should be recognised automatically and mounted to /media/usb0 /media/usb1 and so on. Some USB HDs need their own power. please be sure your HD will be recognised. From the console type: "sudo fdisk -l" do you see something with /dev/sda1 ???
Verulamius wrote:2. When I connect up the RPI to my home network, via LAN to my router, all of my devices on my network stop being able to access the internet, including email servers; this problem disappears when I disconnect my RPI.
That's strange! Do you have the same effect with a standard Raspbian image? I can't believe it's up to SqueezePlug & MAX2Play.

Greetings,
Thomas
truehl

k0smik0

Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:36 pm

Hi,

in first post truehl recommends "iqaudio pi-dac+" as dac, and mentions raspberry (of course) as well as odroid u3 and c1 as SoC.. so my question is: iqaudio pi-dac+ is supported by odroid c1?

I'm interested to build a bit-perfect box with a i2s dac, not using a raspberry* card, but a powerful one, as odroid c1 or any cubieboard, or any udoo.. any model equipped with a gigabit lan and a two different buses for ethernet and usb (you know, raspberry* has a shared bus for those ports).

Of course, if you know about other i2s dacs compatible with odroid*/cubieboard*/bananapi/orangepi/any_soc_with_a_better_architecture_than_raspberry*, tell me ;D !

Thanks,
Best regards

Return to “Media centres”