emptybee

Android Transporter

Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:21 pm

Hi,

Does anyone know if this software will be free or is it going to be sold for the R-Pi. I'm curious as I have just pre-ordered a Nexus 7 and without MHL or HDMI there is no way to get content onto a TV (besides spending £££ on a Nexus Q). Also, as I can't watch the video (at work at the moment) I was just wondering if anyone knows if it transmits sound across as well?

Thanks,

emptybee

Nr90

Re: Android Transporter

Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:38 pm

I am not in any way affiliated with the company/developers making this.

That said, on their website they say they hope to go open source as soon as their APIs are mature enough. This leads me to believe that their software will be free (in both definitions).

I'd guess it supports sound as well as the container is just h.264 , just guessing though :)

I'm very exited about this project and hope to use it with a nexus 7 as well :P

emptybee

Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:02 pm

Well, that's fantastic news. If they release the raspberry pi stuff for free, I would pay a small sum depending on features and lag (i.e. £3 if it is only good for streaming video and £5 if it's good enough to use for gaming) to get the Android software ad free from google play.

I've spent the last few days trying to find something that will allow me to do this for the Nexus 7 so the timing couldn't be better!

I know you said you're not affiliated but do you or anyone else have any idea on release date for Android Transporter?

Cheers,

emptybee

Nr90

Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:54 pm

Not a clue unfortunately.

I still can't find a definitive source on the possibility of using MHL with the nexus 7.
iFixit just did a tear down and they mention their unit came with a USB to hdmi cable, which leads me to believe it will support MHL.

emptybee

Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:18 pm

Been having the same problem trying to find an answer too. What I have found is that ASUS aren't an approved MHL supplier (or words to that affect) although I think that the I/O developer Nexus 7's have an HDMI port and MHL active in the USB? Some people saying it has been turned off in software so that Google can sell their Nexus Q (possibly meaning it will be enabled if people make enough noise) and others saying it isn't included in the hardware (why include something that costs money when you're trying to cut costs to a minimum). Although in my experience if you have something in prototype/first edition boards it is often cheaper to keep it and disable it in software than remove it and I can't imagine MHL hardware being that expensive.

The problem is that this is all speculative and no one actually seems to know! I have an MHL cable for my Samsung S2 so would be keen to use that if possible.

That being said the Raspberry Pi with Android Transporter is a much neater solution and doesn't mean leaving the tablet sitting on the floor where it risks being stepped on.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see what comes in the post :)

emptybee

FillDee

Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:13 pm

Have you guys got a PS3 or Xbox (or smart TV with dlna client) ?

If so Skifta does a good job of streaming from a Android tablet to a media client. I use a PS3.

Nr90

Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:41 pm

Thanks for the tip fildee!

emptybee

Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:34 pm

FillDee wrote:Have you guys got a PS3 or Xbox (or smart TV with dlna client) ?

If so Skifta does a good job of streaming from a Android tablet to a media client. I use a PS3.
I have an xbox and internet TV but the problem is still that you can stream content from the phone but not google play movies that you've rented unfortunately. Android transporter seems to allow you the same ability as an mhl adapter and thus allowing google play movies to appear on TV. Thanks for the suggestion anyway! I'm sure there must be others working on this sort of streaming ability but I'm not sure whether google (Android) will allow it or whether the devices will have to be rooted.

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:13 pm

If your TV is on your network can you not use that to stream from your android phone? Samsung Galaxy S2 has something called Allshare which allows you to stream to a DLNA client or a Windows Home group (even though the home group itself is an abomination :lol: )
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

emptybee

Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:28 pm

alexeames wrote:If your TV is on your network can you not use that to stream from your android phone? Samsung Galaxy S2 has something called Allshare which allows you to stream to a DLNA client or a Windows Home group (even though the home group itself is an abomination :lol: )
You're quite right but it's still the problem that google play movie rentals aren't streamable (but can be watched with the mhl adapter).

Return to “Media centres”