childermass

TV HAT vs Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD, and Pi models

Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:02 pm

Hi everyone,

I'd like to build a box to receive and record DVB-T2, and am trying to decide between a TV HAT and the Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD. Apart from the dual tuners in the Hauppauge, and the fact that it connects by USB rather than as a HAT (which seems to give more choice of cases), is there any other significant difference? Are both equally well supported by the software?

Also, what's the recommended model of Raspberry Pi to connect to either of these tuners? Is a 3B+ fine? Is there any reason to go for a RPi 4? I'd like to get something that is powerful enough (for the backend, not necessarily for playback), but would prefer to avoid overheating or having to include a fan in the case.

rpdom

Re: TV HAT vs Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD, and Pi models

Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:19 pm

I'm using a Pi 3B (not plus) with the TV-HAT and it works fine for recording with TV Headend. I don't watch live TV on it, or do playback through the TV Headend interface. Instead I access the files using NFS and play them on a PC with mplayer, or a Pi Zero with omxplayer. My Pi has been sitting in a closed cupboard doing that for over two years now. It is in the official case, with the top part left off. No fan.
Unreadable squiggle

fruitoftheloom

Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:49 pm

childermass wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:02 pm
Hi everyone,

I'd like to build a box to receive and record DVB-T2, and am trying to decide between a TV HAT and the Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD. Apart from the dual tuners in the Hauppauge, and the fact that it connects by USB rather than as a HAT (which seems to give more choice of cases), is there any other significant difference? Are both equally well supported by the software?

Also, what's the recommended model of Raspberry Pi to connect to either of these tuners? Is a 3B+ fine? Is there any reason to go for a RPi 4? I'd like to get something that is powerful enough (for the backend, not necessarily for playback), but would prefer to avoid overheating or having to include a fan in the case.

You can not overheat a Raspberry Pi SBC, unless it is damaged, by default it has Thermal Throttling to negate overheating:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... agement.md
Take what I advise as advice not the utopian holy grail, and it is gratis !!

neilgl

Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:41 pm

Pi TV hat is a lot cheaper?
I use mine on a pi3 - no heat sinks, fan or case.

Return to “Media centres”