eix

Remotely sharing a DVB dongle (without decoding)

Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:59 pm

Hi there :geek:

I have an old Raspberry Pi 1 Model B and I would like to use it to remotely access a DVB-T2 USB dongle (AverMedia).

NOTE: I specifically do not want to decode and reencode any stream on device, because it is so old and weak, I would like to do something like USBIP sharing.

Is this possible? Any ideas?

trejan

Re: Remotely sharing a DVB dongle (without decoding)

Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:09 pm

tvheadend will do it assuming your DVB receiver is supported by the kernel. You can have multiple viewers all watching different channels in the same DVB multiplex. If you need more than simultaneous multiplexes then you need more DVB receivers.

eix

Re: Remotely sharing a DVB dongle (without decoding)

Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:28 am

trejan wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:09 pm
tvheadend will do it assuming your DVB receiver is supported by the kernel. You can have multiple viewers all watching different channels in the same DVB multiplex. If you need more than simultaneous multiplexes then you need more DVB receivers.
It's barely working, for some channels it decodes 1 frame per minute, with some sound, then stuck. For other channels after a long wait it says "Unknown error". It seems to be that tvheadend is decoding on the RPI, thus limited by that hardware.

Return to “Media centres”