richmc

Argon P4 problems

Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:55 pm

I have a Pi4b 4G, Argon one M.2 case, WD120GB SSD and I can't get LibreELEC installed.
That's ALL I want installed no OS other than LE Has anyone managed this set up? If so how?

DarkElvenAngel

Re: Argon P4 problems

Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:38 pm

You need the fan controller software? I have a project that should work for that. It requires building the software on a separate machine as there is no native compiler on Libreelec.

Before you jump down the rabbit hole do you have another pi or a way to boot a raspberry Pi OS (simplest option)?

If so I have something that will work.

https://gitlab.com/DarkElvenAngel/argononed I may need to walk you through the installer process. If you're interested

Also I forgot to add I installed Libreelec with PINN maybe not what you want.

richmc

Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:51 am

I have a link given to me by argon support for the fan with LibreELEC

At the moment I can't load a thing.

Jar!EH

Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:05 pm

Hey richmc
my libreelec installed on the argon one m.2 case works perfectly, fan included
had a few issues at first but that was me not following the instructions to a tee.
https://www.argon40.com/ install LibreElec

with your m.2 drive installed in the argon m.2 drive holder, run a usb cable (must be male-A to male-A) to the m.2 holder
plug this in to your main computer you use to write programs with, I use RPI imager, your m.2 drive should show up, format the drive to fat32.
then use your imaging writer to load the LibreElec image to the m.2 drive. make sure there is no micro-sd drive in the raspberry pi, install the m.2 drive holder back onto the pi, install the connection dongle and fire the pi. The pi should boot from the m.2 drive if not the boot from usb drive is not enabled on your pi ( enable that first, then the pi will always boot from usb when micro-sd card is not present )
once the pi boots up from the m.2 drive and installs Libreelec, configure it the way you like it, but enable SSH with no password.

You must Install Raspberry Pi Tools and System Tools from Settings>LibreElec> Services
once you do that reboot the pi

i use putty on windows to SSH into the pi / input libreelec ip address hit yes box, should be at libreelec terminal window, The default username for LibreElec is root while the default password is libreelec, now from the argon website copy paste ( curl https://download.argon40.com/argonone-s ... breelec.sh | bash ) then reboot from terminal window with sudo reboot, the pi should restart. again putty into the pi / now copy paste ( ./argonone-config ) answer y fan running all the time, then sudo reboot, the fan should run at 20% all the time, mine does, never hits more then 58 C full load / music player with goom as visual
hope this helps

Jar!EH

Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:24 pm

for richmc
the argon one link for libreelec is https://www.argon40.com/learn/index.php ... libreelec/

richmc

Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:29 pm

Loads of thanks Jah, my formerly "bricked" and invisible SSD has now been detected by my PC and is now reformatted FAT32. I'm now leaning towards using XBian instead of LibreELEC as it's running Kodi 19 now and they seem to update far more frequently, what do you think?
i have managed to update to the latest firmware and boot code for the Kodi, but I'm still unable to install and boot from the SSD, will get either XBian or LibreELEC onto the SSD and see how it goes from there.
one other question, are you streaming films into your Pi? I have loads of movies on my NAS (ISO format) if you are doing the same are you using LAN or WiFi, is one better than the other, I ask because my lAN is via a Devolo mains system and I think it might be a bit too slow for BluRay files.

Jar!EH

Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:03 am

Hey richmc
i only use hardwired, i run my network all over my house with D-LINK (DHP-309AV) PowerLine AV 500 Network Kit, Fast Ethernet, i have 6 all over the place, get a steady 5 to 10 megabits throuth my home wiring, libreelec can stream from anywhere in my house i have a stream-able device. if you get the ssd running libreelec just transfer the movies to it , no buffering issues. I send my movies from my Raspberry pi4 twister os desktop to my libreelec ( running on a 500gb m.2 ssd ) over powerline networking, works like a charm, I heard some m.2 ssd won't boot from usb, raspberry pi4 won't recognize them
good luck streaming

richmc

Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:56 pm

Working fine I think, thanks for the info. Currently on estuary skin whilst the scrapers are running will be swapping to confluence as my PCs and P3 have this. I decided on XBian so I could use the latest Kodi, using the SSD for storage is great in principal although I have a 120GB WD SSD and over 1700 movies and TV series each around 4.7GB each and a handful of BluRay films at 16-40GB on my 21TB NAS so not going to happen.
Didn't see during the set up a setting to enable SSH but in setting XBian it shows as running. Looks like the scraping is going to take quite a while so will report back later. :D

richmc

Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:28 pm

Now I'm getting seriously p***d off with the Pi4!
Got XBian loaded and installed and set up, Powered down to have a break came back and powering up got a flashing cursor top left and continual three blinks, so a boot failure went to the download page and downloaded the boot from USB bootloader, powered up and got the green screen tried booting again and got the same three flashes.
I'm considering stamping on the mother and binning it!
Last edited by richmc on Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fruitoftheloom

Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:32 pm

richmc wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:28 pm
Now I'm getting seriously pissed off with the Pi4!
Got XBian loaded and installed and set up, Powered down to have a break came back and powering up got a flashing cursor top left and continual three blinks, so a boot failure went to the download page and downloaded the boot from USB bootloader, powered up and got the green screen tried booting again and got the same three flashes.
I'm considering stamping on the mother and binning it!

Please do not use profanity, there are people of all ages who use this forum :roll:

Go and have a swear at Argon for not supporting a product you paid for :?
The information is out there....you just have to let it in.

My other Linux machines: ChromeBox
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32966393971.html
& Stone Desktop Intel CoreDuo circa 2010

richmc

Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:42 pm

Fair enough apologies for that. The problem is not with Argon it's with the Pi firmware, says the boot loader is fine but it's obviously not, this is with or without the Argon SSD adapter so you can't blame them. As far as I'm concerned this device is flaky at best, unlike the P3.

fruitoftheloom

Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:52 pm

richmc wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:42 pm
Fair enough apologies for that. The problem is not with Argon it's with the Pi firmware, says the boot loader is fine but it's obviously not, this is with or without the Argon SSD adapter so you can't blame them. As far as I'm concerned this device is flaky at best, unlike the P3.

What EEPROM Firmware are you running on your RPi 4B ?

https://github.com/raspberrypi/rpi-eeprom/releases

In the download is a readme, I have previously used the manual SD Card method:

Raspberry Pi 4 EEPROM bootloader rescue image

The Raspberry Pi 4 has a small EEPROM used to store the bootloader.

This rescue image reverts the bootloader EEPROM to factory default settings.

This rescue image also updates the USB 3.0 (VL805) firmware to the latest
version (138a1) with better full-speed Isochronous endpoint support.

To re-flash the EEPROM(s)

1. Unzip the contents of this zip file to a blank FAT formatted SD-CARD
2. Power off the Raspberry Pi
3. Insert the SD-CARD
4. Power on Raspberry Pi
5. Wait at least 10 seconds

This easiest method for creating and formatting the SD-CARD is to use the
Raspberry Pi Imager from https://raspberrypi.org/downloads

If successful, the green LED light will blink rapidly (forever), otherwise
an error pattern will be displayed.

If a HDMI display is attached then the screen will display green for success
or red if a failure occurs.

N.B. This image is not a bootloader it simply replaces the on-board bootloader.
The information is out there....you just have to let it in.

My other Linux machines: ChromeBox
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32966393971.html
& Stone Desktop Intel CoreDuo circa 2010

richmc

Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:05 pm

"What EEPROM Firmware are you running on your RPi 4B ?"

the one I'm offered in the Raspberry Pi downloader shown as the latest, hence the green "good" screen.
and yes I have gone through the Raspberry Pi 4 EEPROM bootloader rescue image routine.

51n15tar

Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:16 pm

I had problem with the bootloader too, until I found out that in order to boot directly from the m.2, you need a new one, and it's not in stable yet.
You should be more patient if you want to play with SBCs, they are for tinkerers in the end, and those who want to learn, but they are also quite powerful in the right hands.

Some help on the bootloader here:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... _config.md
And the precompiled images, ready to replace in your distro: https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware

Stay safe and good luck.

Return to “Media centres”