peppy.player

Re: Peppy player

Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:13 pm

Here is the new arrival in the Gallery - Upgraded Bose Radio by Peter (Germany)
https://github.com/project-owner/PeppyP ... er-germany

FreddyPlentyFace

Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:25 pm

Hi, Peppy player looks so perfect for what I need, I just need a point in the correct direction if possible please. I'm using an LCD that is not mentioned, HyperPixel 4.0 from Pimoroni:

https://learn.pimoroni.com/tutorial/san ... perpixel-4

I saw the previous post which said install Peppy Player (headless) then install LCD driver on top, then set headless = false in config. I have done that and I get the pi bootup text being displayed on my screen but ultimately goes to a blank screen, I can SSH etc but that's all I get. If you have any spare time I would really appreciate you sending some info for anything else I could look at to get this running or if it's not possible. Thanks again, love the look of the application and would be ecstatic if I can get it running with what I have. Thanks -Nick

peppy.player

Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:30 pm

Hi Nick,

We can try to make your display working with the player but I cannot guarantee that.

After installing the Headless disk image connect through SSH and change the configuration file /home/pi/Peppy/config.txt:
width = 800
height = 480
headless = False

Then you need to install the display driver by following instructions from the display documentation:
curl https://get.pimoroni.com/hyperpixel4 | bash

Sometimes scripts which install display drivers modify the file /etc/rc.local and remove the line which starts Peppy player:
su pi -c 'cd /home/pi/Peppy; openvt -s -- python3 peppy.py'
If it's missing add the line before the 'exit 0' line. You need to use 'sudo' to edit that file:
sudo nano /etc/rc.local
Also if you will see the command fbcp in /etc/rc.local either remove or comment it out:
#fbcp &

Reboot Pi: sudo reboot
Check if the player is running:
ps -elf | grep python
You should see the Python process.

The player is using framebuffer for UI. Check that it's available (either fb0 or fb1):
ls /dev

Please let me know the result.

Which Pi model do you use? 2, 3, 4?

Good luck

FreddyPlentyFace

Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:54 pm

Hey, thank you very much for your excellent reply, really appreciate you getting back to me so fast. I was messing around before I saw you had replied and I did get it up and running, I got a solution by installing, Raspbian, installing Pepper Player via the 'expert' method, this post helped me in terms of getting a shortcut:

https://forum-raspberrypi.de/forum/thre ... h-display/

I used step 8 in the above link to get a shortcut, I just didn't want Peppy Player to auto start until I got everything setup. I then just edited the resolution etc like you explained in your reply. So yep I am all up and running now, love love this application, just wanted to say how much I appreciate your work on it and also your fantastic replies that have helped myself and lots of other people by the looks of things. Bless you -Nick

p.s - I am using Pi 3

peppy.player

Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:59 pm

Hi,

This is great that you were able to make it working! Enjoy, and feel free to report about any issue which you will find or if you will have any suggestions for the player improvement. Also if you will decide to share your project with the rest of the world I'll be glad to add it to the Gallery:
https://github.com/project-owner/PeppyP ... ki/Gallery

Best regards!

Syl20.C

Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:14 am

Hi !

I received the material. Some issues due to the Waveshare driver. I fixed it (I spent my day on it, but It was a good training to learn)
All is working properly but, I have no sound from the bluetooth...

At first, I couldn't connect my device to Peppy, then I followed this procedure. BDevice paired, I see it on the Peppy network

I added in player.txt
server.command = --aout=alsa --alsa-audio-device=my-bluealsa-device --verbose=-1
Still no sound (It is ok by headphone plug, but no bluetooth)

I removed this line and replace
server.start.command = --aout=alsa --alsa-audio-device=default --verbose=-1
by
server.start.command = --aout=alsa --alsa-audio-device=my-bluealsa-device --verbose=-1
No sound at all (even in headphone)

I removed the ".start"
Bad idea ! No more display...

I tried the cmd
aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav
I have sound from my device (So connection is Ok)

Any idea?

Sorry, It is my first project. I don't understand exactly what I am doing

EDIT :

My bad !!! I found the solution...
The .asoundrc

it was "pcm.bt" instead of "pcm.my-bluealsa-device"

:mrgreen:

peppy.player

Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:14 pm

Hi Sylvain,

Good to know that you resolved all issues. Do you think anything should be changed in the documentation? If you think that your experience can be useful for other people feel free to share it here. Also when your project will be completed and if you will decide to share it please let me know. I will be glad to place it in the Gallery.

Best regards

Syl20.C

Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:59 pm

peppy.player wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:14 pm
Hi Sylvain,

Good to know that you resolved all issues. Do you think anything should be changed in the documentation? If you think that your experience can be useful for other people feel free to share it here.
Thanks ! I have to say at first your documentation is awesome. It's quite rare to see this kind of professionnalism for an open source project. So, I can't complain about it. Just to congrat you.

If I would have to summarize the poccured problem than I had :
- I used the Waveshare 3.5" LCD (B) image disk (Hogarth Edition). First boot, the color were inverted because the driver doesn't seem to be up to date. So, maybe you should update this specific image or/and add a specific procedure on Github to update manually the driver?

- In order to update the driver, I :
1. Followed the Method 1 on this link for V2 (./LCD35B-show-V2)
==> My first problem was : How to communicate with the Raspi??! So I googled it... The answer is PuTTY
1.2. Connect the Raspi to the internet box by ethernet cable.
1.3. Check the IP of the Raspi
1.4. Download Putty on my computer for a SSH communication with the Peppy and follow the Waveshare procedure

==> Reboot : No access access to Peppy home screen. I just had the "normal" Raspbian command screen. Youtch ! So I checked on internet... and I found this post from the step 7. Here, there is an error : you said
7. Comment out the line in /etc/rc.local:
#fbcp &
8. As driver overwrites /etc/rc.local you need manually add back the command to start Peppy:
su pi -c 'cd /home/pi/Peppy; openvt -s -- python3 peppy.py'/
If you do that, you wouldn't see the Peppy home screen

In fact, you have to comment out the THREE last lines from "fbcp &" (not only "fbcp &") then add :
su pi -c 'cd /home/pi/Peppy; openvt -s -- python3 peppy.py'
So I suggest to you to edit your post for stupid guys like me ;)

After that, my bluetooth didn't work. Googled it.... and checked [url="https://github.com/project-owner/Peppy. ... th-Devices]this page oh the documentation[/url] :
- Small detail it is not
sudo bluetoothctl -a

but just (lost few minutes on it... :lol: )
sudo bluetoothctl
In my .asoundrc file it was "pcm.BT" instead of pcm.my-bluealsa-device (honestly I don't know why, but maybe precise it as a check-point)

Here you said :
[vlc.linux]
server.command = --aout=alsa --alsa-audio-device=my-bluealsa-device --verbose=-1
You forget the ".start"
[vlc.linux]
server.start.command = --aout=alsa --alsa-audio-device=my-bluealsa-device --verbose=-1
So... some minor details in fact, quite hard to interstand for someone like me, who hasn't any knowledge of the raspi world
Also when your project will be completed and if you will decide to share it please let me know. I will be glad to place it in the Gallery.
My project is to use an optical CD driver, but I have to find the good solution to powered it (my option is not powerfull). For the moment, I am just glad to have sound from web services. I didn't still think about the case and cosmethic aspect.

Just an improvment suggestion : If you could add a Deezer support on Peppy, I would be so so happy !!! I prefere it than Spotify.

Thanks again for your work

peppy.player

Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:30 pm

Hi Sylvain,

Thank you very much for your detailed comments. It will help to improve the player/documentation.
Here is the list of action items:
1. I'll provide instructions how to update driver for Waveshare 3.5" (B) Rev2.0. Or maybe I'll buy the new display (Rev2) and provide the disk image for the new one.
2. I'll add instructions (Installation Guide) about connecting to Pi through putty.
3. For a long time I was planning to create wiki pages about manual display configuration for different display types. Hopefully I'll do that and mentioned about 'fbcp' there.
4. I'll modify Bluetooth page accordingly.

I cannot promise Deezer support at the moment but I'll take it into account and add to the Wish List.
Regarding CD player, the usual recommendation is - don't power it from the same power supply as Pi, use the separate one.
Feel free to report about any issues which you will face. It will also help to improve the player.

Enjoy it!

Syl20.C

Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:59 pm

Hi,

Juste to say about the CD player : It's working.
I opened it to add an second USB cable in order to split datas and supply. Data in the orignal connector, supply from the new one.

I used an USB charger to powered the Raspi and the Optical driver (3.5A, It the green thing in the pictures).

The last think I have to do to finish (excepted to make a case) is to wired the HiFiBerry DAC.

Just a strange think, I don't know why, but the .asoundrc file it was "pcm.BT" again instead of pcm.my-bluealsa-device after a reboot. So, we will see... Whatever.

Pictures here :

- Raspberry 3 B+
- Waveshare 3.5inch RPi LCD (B)
- HiFiBerry DAC+ Zero
- An old external optical driver
- Silvercrest USB 3 Port Hub (3.4A max)
- 40 conductors Ribbon cable
- Multi-Pi Stackable Raspberry Pi Case (temporary)

==> 98 € Arround US $106 for a bluetooth CD player, web radio and so on... Good deal ;)

peppy.player

Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:09 pm

Hi Sylvain,

I'll wait when you add the HiFiBerry DAC. That will allow me to publish your project on the HiFiBerry forum as well ;)
Their DACs allow to connect the second GPIO connector where you can attach the display. Though you need to solder it yourself and that actually breaks the warranty :( But if you have a soldering experience it should not be the problem. If you are going to connect display through the ribbon cable you need to keep it as short as possible. Longer cables make UI slower as SPI interface which is used to connect displays is very sensitive to the cable length.

I'm not sure why that bluetooth device renaming happens. If you are going to use DAC you probably don't need it anyway ;)
Please keep me informed. BTW, I don't have 'flickr' account and I don't think I need it. So I cannot see your pictures in full size.

Best regards

Syl20.C

Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:35 pm

The link to the Flickr album, you should be albe to see the picture.
Their DACs allow to connect the second GPIO connector where you can attach the display. Though you need to solder it yourself and that actually breaks the warranty :( But if you have a soldering experience it should not be the problem.
It was also my thinking, but not the HifiBERRY DAC + Zero. I have a good experience in soldering, I am working in a electronic factory. So, it's not a problem.
If you are going to connect display through the ribbon cable you need to keep it as short as possible. Longer cables make UI slower as SPI interface which is used to connect displays is very sensitive to the cable length
That is a good advice... I have to think about before.
I'm not sure why that bluetooth device renaming happens.
I think it's because I just unpluged the supply without done a shutdown command ! I know, (well, now I know ) it's stupid. I found this possible root cause because I had also an issue with the mute function due to that (I modified the current.txt to corrected it).

I keep you aware.

Sorry for my english, not sure to be clear enougth in my explanations. Hope my "experience" will be helpful for other beginners

peppy.player

Thu May 21, 2020 6:15 pm

Here is the new addition to the Gallery - great project by Ingo (Germany).
This time Ingo used the enclosure from the vintage tube radio dated back to 1937.

Here is the list of the main hardware components:
- Raspberry Pi 3
- DAC PCM5102 I2S 32bit/384kHz Raspberry PI
- Amplifier DC8-24V TPA3118
- Bass reflex box with a 13 cm fullrange speaker
- HDMI 10" display with 1024x600 resolution
- Self-built relay card which switches on/off all components and provides graceful Raspberry Pi shutdown.

https://github.com/project-owner/PeppyP ... go-germany

alexamend

Sun May 24, 2020 7:41 am

Dear Peppy Player, first I like to say, I like your project very much. I have currently installed the image on an RPi4 and initially everything works without problems, as soon as I set make my region in the weather configuration Peppy Player no longer starts , it stops after the splash screen. I still get access to the console via Putty, changing the weather configuration back to default has no effect. My hardware is currently RPi4 with 7 "official display. I'm currently a bit puzzled as to where the problem comes from​, may one of you can get me an hit.

Kindly Alex

peppy.player

Sun May 24, 2020 4:22 pm

Hi Alex,

Assuming that that was the only change, more likely the issue is related to the encoding of the file weather-config.txt if you changed it from the Web UI. To fix that issue you can login using Putty and then run the following command. The exact folder name can be different. It depends on the language which you use. In the following example I assume that you use English:

Code: Select all

cd /home/pi/Peppy/languages/English-USA
git checkout weather-config.txt
If that will resolve the issue you can try to configure your city using 'nano' editor instead of Web UI by editing that file weather-config,txt directly.

Please let me know if that helps.
Good luck!

alexamend

Mon May 25, 2020 10:58 am

Hi Peppy Player,
thank you for the hint, I have uploaded the image to the SD card again, if I configure the region for the weather via the console, the player starts without problems. I have verified it again, I configure the weather via the WebUi it stops at the splash screen when starting.

peppy.player

Mon May 25, 2020 6:36 pm

OK. I'll try to fix the issue in the next release.

alexamend

Mon May 25, 2020 7:06 pm

FYI,
I did the settings for german waether (I activate logging just for debug)
above my current settings this is working, using nano

[weather.config]
city = Reicholzheim
city.label = Reicholzheim
country = Germany
region = BW
update.period = 10
unit = c
military.time.format = True
use.logging = True

above "same" settings using WebUi is not working
[weather.config]
city = Reicholzheim
city.label = Reicholzheim
country = Germany
region = BW
update.period = 10
unit = c
military.time.format = True
use.logging = True

peppy.player

Mon May 25, 2020 9:53 pm

The problem is in the file encoding. When the player reads the file it expect encoding utf-8, but the file was saved from browser as utf-8-sig.

Return to “Media centres”