bob332

Pi4 - HDMI Audio support?

Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:04 am

Looking to replace my full size HTPC w/ a Pi4. Only question is audio support via HDMI output. Only need 1 that would feed into my Denon receiver but I cannot find an answer if the HDMI port supports Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD Master Audio (both lossless formats) and when I upgrade audio equipment, Atmos will be a question too.
I buy my Blu-ray or UHD Blu-ray discs and then rip the movie to my home server, I obviously keep my originals but they are pretty fragile compared to old skool DVDs (which I rip as an .iso, Blu-rays of both kind are ripped and not compressed, so they are .m2ts (I think that is the extension, whatever a standard UHD & FHD Blu-ray rips to uncompressed). The audio would just need to be passed through to the Denon Receiver with no type of any transcoding being done).
This would be my first jump into the Pi Ecosysten and would like it to be successful. Again, files would be stored on a Win10Pro Home Server w/ a decent amount of storage space. So the files would be played from the home server over GbE.
Being a noob to the Pi ecosystem, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated - I currently use VLC on Windows & Android - what player would you recommend for what I am trying to accomplish? I figure I would get the 4GB unit for some "future proofing" the setup. I have no desire to use wifi as I have GbE already throughout my condo & to my current HTPC, so in theory, bandwidth is not going to be an issue.
Maybe my serch-fu was off today but I could not find the answers to these questions, so I thank you in advance for your assistance in helping this Pi Ecosystem noob out. FWIW I have over 20yrs working in a MS environment in many different roles, so while I am new to the Pi Ecosystem, I am not new to computers or networking.
Thank you in advance,
Bob

noggin

Re: Pi4 - HDMI Audio support?

Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:28 am

The Pi Zero->3B+ range all support 5.1 and 7.1 PCM output up to 96kHz and 4.0 PCM output up to 192kHz. Dolby True HD and DTS HD MA can be losslessly decoded to these formats (apart from 5.1 PCM 192kHz which will need to be downsampled) - effectively you decode in the Pi, rather than your AVR. This is also how FLAC, AAC etc. multichannel are supported on all platforms. I'm not sure how a single core (Zero, A+, B+) cope with DTS HD MA/True HD decode whilst playing video - but the Quad Core 2B and 3A+/3B+ are fine. Atmos extensions and DTS:x are not supported via this route. Dolby True HD and DTS HD MA can't be bit streamed/passed-through by the Pi Zero-3B+ range. The Pis also support DD/DTS lossy bitstreaming - though DD+ is a bit more hit-and-miss (decoding to PCM or transcoding to DD is fine)

The Pi 4B hardware supports 7.1 PCM at 192kHz - and should eventually support HD Audio bitstreaming (DTS HD MA, Dolby True HD) and Atmos and DTS:x extensions are also expected to be supported (as they are just options within existing bitstream formats)

Currently however the LibreElec Pi4B Alpha builds only seem to support PCM 2.0 and DD/DTS bitstreaming (not even PCM 5.1/7.1 output) - but it's very early days, and these ARE Alpha builds.

bob332

Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:01 am

Thanks for the reply, I guess I am wanting too much too quick. Until the 2 more popular 7.1 lossless audio formats can be sent through a 'pass-through' option I can wait until that becomes a reality as I would rather the AVR deal w/ the audio and the Pi4 not introduce anything into the audio stream. This is nothing against the Pi4, just that it was just put out in the wild and was not sure how/if it handles pass-through audio options. I am sure it will come soon enough 😀

fganter

Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:45 am

bob332 wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:01 am
Thanks for the reply, I guess I am wanting too much too quick. Until the 2 more popular 7.1 lossless audio formats can be sent through a 'pass-through' option I can wait until that becomes a reality as I would rather the AVR deal w/ the audio and the Pi4 not introduce anything into the audio stream. This is nothing against the Pi4, just that it was just put out in the wild and was not sure how/if it handles pass-through audio options. I am sure it will come soon enough 😀
If it makes you feel any better, I feel the same way.

I got the Pi4 before reading this post and was disappointed it doesn't pass thru Dolby TrueHD, etc. - at least with LibreELEC.

I find this interesting, as if I were developing, I'd want to get that decoding off my board, so its not chewing up more cycles/power, but I'm not developing. :)

andrum99

Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:51 pm

fganter wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:45 am
I got the Pi4 before reading this post and was disappointed it doesn't pass thru Dolby TrueHD, etc. - at least with LibreELEC.
If those are feature you already have on an earlier model of Pi, then it is entirely plausible that they will eventually be added to software running on the Pi 4. It's a very new platform with considerable hardware differences to previous models, so please be patient.

bob332

Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:01 am

I know it has only been a few months since my original post, but has there been any progress in this audio passthrough area?
Thanks,
Bob

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:18 am

bob332 wrote:
I know it has only been a few months since my original post, but has there been any progress in this audio passthrough area?
Thanks,
Bob
We have been making changes to audio, but not in this area that I am aware of.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

fruitoftheloom

Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:57 am

bob332 wrote:
Thanks,
Bob

The basic VideoCore on the Raspberry Pi has not changed substantially, so it is a hardware not support issue. The is an older post here:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... &start=175

Though if you bought a product without researching, caveat emptor applies.....
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

bob332

Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:29 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:57 am
The basic VideoCore on the Raspberry Pi has not changed substantially, so it is a hardware not support issue. The is an older post here:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... &start=175

Though if you bought a product without researching, caveat emptor applies.....
Assumptions, assumptions.... I have not purchased a 𝛑4 yet because while it can do x265 video decoding (at least from what I have read), it cannot bitstream the quality of audio that a FHD or UHD supply as the 1st preferred audio. I rip my FHD & UHD discs because, IMHO, they are rather fragile compared to old skool dvds (understand the process to get get so much data on a "normal" sized DVD. If my options are just to use DD/DD+ or DTS when using a 𝛑4 are the best than can be had over HDMI, just let me know. I wouldn't be having this Q/A session if it is not going to be supported in the near future. While I have some non-A/V related projects that some part of the 𝛑 family would work great in, I just don't know if I should move on from thinking I can get a <15W HTPC that FULLY supports FHD & UHD along with at least lossless DTS & DD over HDMI.

Appreciate the feedback,
Bob

surfparadise

Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:29 am

Yesterday was out the new Libreelec version. It is really sad to see that HD audio (7.1 passthrough) is not yet introduced.

Please!! This is an indispensable feature for movie lovers. Could be it available before Christmas?

fruitoftheloom

Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:56 am

surfparadise wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:29 am
Yesterday was out the new Libreelec version. It is really sad to see that HD audio (7.1 passthrough) is not yet introduced.

Please!! This is an indispensable feature for movie lovers. Could be it available before Christmas?

You need to contact the LibreElec Developers to understand the reasons for the lack of your must have feature and how you can help with offering your services:

https://libreelec.tv/contribute/
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

Return to “Media centres”